Universal Don't Starve: Pocket Edition (by Klei Entertainment)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Jul 9, 2015.

1. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    agreed. After not seing any replies i bought it anyway, and it IS playable, but even on the largest UI setting (5), the UI bars at the left and bottom are kind of small. And what you say also about the stack. The only good thing is the left and right buttons, they save a lot of time on the touchscreen.

I do hope there will be an update for bigger bars and stack usage from the devs.

2. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    I want to clear up something I posted I thought an iPhone version was a sure thing and while they did drop a big hint about it they have also not confirmed it either so sorry about that. Fingers are crossed though :)
    i will now exit the forum in hopes I can return when the iPhone version arrives
    Happy gaming

3. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Where did you see the teaser video of an iPhone running "Don't Starve"? Do you have a link?

4. CalinR

CalinR Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Criminal Defense Attorney
    U.S.
    I know man, it's a shame, cause I agree with you completely. I'm hoping for an update though too, cause they have the money and audience base to justify polishing the game quite a bit. A bigger UI would be amazing too.

5. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Am I the only not completely put off by the controls and UI? I'm having a blast with the game and have not felt annoyed at any point. But I do agree that equipping a stack should be an option, maybe if you hold your finger on the item in your inventory one of the options should be "grab stack" and then it gets attached to your "cursor" allowing you to use it as many times as you need, and another hold option after that could be to put it back to inventory.

As for the UI I've been playing on 3, I find 5 is a little intrusive on the play area.

6. jgeirge

jgeirge Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Controls could be better, a virtual joystick is welcome.. Or actual MFi support. For now though it's good !

7. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    On their Twitter they stated its being worked on.

8. CalinR

CalinR Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Criminal Defense Attorney
    U.S.
    I think most people who are put off by the UI and inventory interactions are PC players. I love the game myself, just made it to my first summer ever on day 25 today and died of overheating. Didn't know that was a thing. Game's amazing, but this port's just an update or two away from being on par with PC. Not a bad thing, looking forward to it. For now though, it's an inferior port of a great game.

9. Sexy Pirate

Sexy Pirate Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    woo I've got a full day off from work today so I've just bought this and looking forward to sitting down and putting some time in to see what all the fuss is about.

10. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #130 Vovin, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2015

Hm... searched for it, but nothing came up. Oh well, guess that the photo is evidence enough.

But best news is that the Reign Of Giants-dlc is already included.

It is just too bad that we're not able to enjoy the absolutely fantastic horror mod "The Screecher" (which turns Don't Starve completely into another (Silent Hill- or Slenderman-like) game). Or is it in? Mod was made by Klei and oozes charme... while terrifying you.
    The Halloween Horror mod on PC is also fantastic.

11. Bernzwong

Bernzwong Active Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 26, 2011
    I'm sure I've read that others were experiencing this as well, but unsure if it was TA.

Playing on Retina mini, intermittently will crash and lose a day's progress. No set pattern besides occurring usually when it is trying to save at the start of a morning.

Not related to any item, gear, place or action that I can replicate.

Anyone else here on the forums? Or just me?

Edit: iOS 8.4, retina mini 32gb, non JB.

12. Sexy Pirate

Sexy Pirate Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    Hmmm I'm playing on retina mini 8.3, only been playing for an hour so far but it hasn't crashed on me yet.

13. Dongmaster

Dongmaster Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2014
    When I started the game and the voices where done with psychotic music, I knew this would be awesome.

I wasn't disappointed. :)

14. Warriv

Warriv Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 21, 2015
    Portugal
    Nope, you're not alone. Playing on a mini retina as well, iOS 8.3, and crashes randomly, usually after a longer playthrough or during the auto-save. It doesn't happen too often though...

Game is awesome, by the way, though I'm really bad at it :)

15. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #135 Vovin, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2015

EVERYONE is bad at this game when s/he's new to it.

16. Rangerlump

Rangerlump Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2010
    I have this game on PC and it is great. Yes, I am one who game the game a 1 star rating because it didnt work on my iPad.

If the game isnt intended for my hardware, then take it off of the compatibility list so I don't see it in the appstore.

17. Shadow Bug

Shadow Bug Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    tictac

Can't wait any longer. Gotta have some foood...

18. addictor

addictor Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2015
    Really like the music and the sound, it get you into the right atmosphere

19. Warriv

Warriv Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 21, 2015
    Portugal
    Heheh yeah, I guess that's why the game is so fun. There's just so much to discover, and I feel like I have only barely scratched the surface.

Fantastic value for money, and if anyone's on the fence, I can't recommend this game enough. It has a way to really pull you into the world, but then gives you no mercy, no forgiveness. Live with your choices, if you can :)

20. AppWhore

AppWhore Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    I'm IPad mini 2 (retina) and can tell when it's going to crash - if I've been on a while or I'm a couple of weeks in and there's a lot going on, the game'll start to stutter and drop frames and sound. If I'm not quick on the manual save it'll crash within seconds and will have lost the day.

So yeah, watch for the stutter till the update :(