Universal Don't Starve: Pocket Edition (by Klei Entertainment)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    It saves automatically after each day but not sure if you can save manually

2. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Probably because lots of people want a copy for their iphone. With the ipad version you can almost nearly play it on a laptop or PC.

3. TokyoDan

TokyoDan Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Thanks.

4. guzzla

guzzla Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 12, 2015
    If you ever want to be reminded why there is no hope for humanity, just go read this game's reviews on the app store. About half of them are people with the original iPad Mini, iPad 2, or the "biggest iPad they make" who can't run the game and have thus given it a 1 star rating. I just don't know what to say.....

5. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    You can save and quit manually..
    Played last night on my 6+ using the ipa trick. It was ok, but tricky using the lower item panel because the items are so small you can barely make out what each one is. To make that aspect worse you have to first click on an item, then click examine, and then up pops a 3 or 4 word witty line about it, but not necessarily the name of it. For instance for the trap he says "it's woven very tight". Or something like that. Well based on that description it could be anything. But I guess you get used to those with trial and error. The numbers of those items left as well is very small.
    All of this is on a 6+ which the game was not released for so fairs fair. It's just playable, and I think an iPhone version is very doable but would need UI size increases.

6. TokyoDan

TokyoDan Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    After you die can you always start from the highest day that was saved or do you have to start from the very beginning?

7. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    When you die, game over

8. rbates

rbates Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    On an iPad 4 here, and the game has crashed 3 times during about 7 hours of play. It usually crashes when saving which stinks because I have to replay the day.

Besides that this game is awesome and a steal at the price. I hope they fix the crashing soon.

9. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    "That's it , man. Game over , man. Game over!"

10. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    I was getting ready to put together a list of survival/sandbox roguelikes that are orders of magnitude deeper than Don't Starve, until I read the last few words.

11. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    #111 sapphire_neo, Jul 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
    There aren't that many survival/sandbox games deeper than Don't Starve anyway, on any platform. :p

Also, I wouldn't mind recommendations for great sandbox/survival games!

12. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead, Unreal World and Dwarf Fortress Adventure Mode are all turn-based open ended survival roguelikes that still actively developed.

13. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Oh, those are too hardcore/retro/oldschool for me. I was expecting more modern stuff like NEO Scavenger and such.

14. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    I am really enjoying this game. Fantastic in every way and plays great on iPad.

15. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    There is an article on the toucharcade site about how it's pocket edition and doesn't fit in your pocket and then they came back with another article and a teaser video from the devs who showed it running on a phone and said its coming soon to phones.

16. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Why does this version have so many poor reviews? I.E. What is the main complaint?

I've got this on Wii U and I love it

17. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Almost all of the poor reviews are from people whining about their device not being supported.

18. razorracer83

razorracer83 Well-Known Member

#118 razorracer83, Jul 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
    A5 powered first world problems I suspect (In other words, complaining iPad 2/iPad Mini owners).

But I digress. Instabought this game as soon as I saw the price on the App Store, and I love it! Great price. Nice file size that is friendly to 16GB iPads in addition to the 128GB monsters (like mine). Runs really well on my iPad 4, a welcome change to the push to normalize the A7+ requirement (looking at you, Magic Duels). The game itself is so addicting, gathering the supplies needed to make the tools required to survive to the next day. I have this game on my PS4, my PS Vita, my gaming PC, and now it has a well deserved home on my iPad.

19. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    I've played this on the PC for a bit and i like it mainly for its style, but i want to ask :

On the PC, i had to turn up the HUD size, and also sometimes i need fast clicks. So how is the interface on the ipad air? can you make it bigger, and is tapping everywhere fast enough? I would love to buy this for the ipad if i can play it comfortably

20. CalinR

CalinR Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Criminal Defense Attorney
    U.S.
    Being in the same exact situation as you are except I've bought the game already and I'm playing it on an iPad 3, I can tell you I don't like the pocket edition controls or UI. The size is customizable, but you can't plant things quickly. They have a button that works like the spacebar, contextually, but not as well as the PC. You also can't "hold-click" a stack and use it in the over world, one by one. You need to push a contextual button in the item slots. Real annoying.