Universal Don't Starve: Pocket Edition (by Klei Entertainment)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Randomname270

Randomname270 New Member

Jul 6, 2015
    Watched a gameplay video of the first few minutes of the game- seems fun, but familiar. Would this game be worth a shot if I've already played Radiation Island? What does the game offer that'll be new to me? Besides the art style, of course.

2. Saucepolicy

Saucepolicy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2009
    Crispy ex-game developer
    No, you're just an entitled whiner who still thinks in console generations, when the lifespan of smartphone hardware is 18 months. Your iPhone 4 might as well be a calculator, and If Apple doesn't care about you or support your device, it's pointless to expect developers to.

3. Heyoka

Heyoka Member

Nov 14, 2013
    PC owner here. Just wanted to pop in and voice some concern over the App Store review score. I loved this game on PC both in its solo and 'together' variants. The game itself is amazing but the port is getting a 2.5/5 rating right now. I haven't downloaded it yet but am wondering if it's just people being shocked at the rogue-like nature of the game or if there are legit bugs that justify such harsh ratings?

Also, bugs or no, how's it run on iPad 4?

4. KineticBlur

KineticBlur Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2014
    No Universal? No problem :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

5. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Almost all of the negative reviews are from people with unsupported devices.

6. AppWhore

AppWhore Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    People may be put off by the lack of any real in game guide, which itself seems to be part of the game?
    I came into this game fresh with no knowledge prior to getting the app and would have been frustrated too if I hadn't have already read on here that a large part of the game is about finding out how to survive in the game (oh yeah, that's the point).

I'm real glad I read that post about learning the game along with the character before I started playing, really enjoyed a quick hour last night. Yeah it's been done before but the game's got such a great style and atmoshphere that it dragged me in and held me, even without any hand holding. And I don't even like rogues.

7. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    An iPhone version is in the works no android version planned at the moment

8. modus_ataraxia

modus_ataraxia Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2015
    Bought this on Steam during a pricing error. Still in my backlog.

Someone tell me why I should move it to the of the queue?

9. Shkrbby

Shkrbby Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Fantastic game and bought it on Steam, PS4, Vita, and now iPad. The low scores on the App Store are just sour grapes from whining entitled gamers who expect everything for nothing.

10. Brrobotix

Brrobotix Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    Was wondering about this. Thanks for checking!

I don't think I'll ever trust AppStore review scores anyway.

11. Woodrith

Woodrith Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2014
    Hooaah
    Outerbounds
    I have an iPad Air 1, no crashes and two hours into the game, using iOS 8.1. the price to me is a very cheap entry for a unique take on survival. This is not radiation island, definitely its own game.

12. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Don't Starve is almost exponentially deeper and more vast than pretty much every survival game, rogue-like or otherwise, on iOS..

13. Oldgamer

Oldgamer Well-Known Member

May 22, 2015
    Crikey. I expected this thread to have exploded and be on 30 pages by now. Is it not selling well?
    Surely it's a bargain at the price it is. Tbh I was very tempted to upgrade to ios8 purely for this.

I really expected to see the thread buzzing with advice, tips and cool in game stories by now.

14. CalinR

CalinR Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Criminal Defense Attorney
    U.S.
    #94 CalinR, Jul 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
    Is there any way to interact with an entire stack of items? I don't get why I have to cook 20 berries individually when the only gameplay mechanic affected is the in game time it takes for something to be interacted with.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: I replayed the PC one two seconds ago. In that, you can do things like plant or cook stacks because they remain selected when you pick them up, instead of returning to the item slot like in this version. This is a huge issue imo, I CAN'T believe no one's brought it up.

Of course, could be I'm just dumb and mouthy cause I haven't figured out how to do that, in which case, some help would be much appreciated.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big fan of the PC don't starve, not a huge great impression by this one so far. Small UI, frame rate issues on an iPad 3 and slow loading times and this potentially one item at a time interaction thing make me regret my purchase...

15. CalinR

CalinR Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Criminal Defense Attorney
    U.S.
    #95 CalinR, Jul 10, 2015
    Check their wiki, it's fantastic. It got me through my newbie phase when I started playing it on PC. Way better info and tips than you'd find here.

You wanna work towards multiple crock pots (forgot how to make them...need ash and wood I think) and meat drying racks for the winter if you're not playing on a custom world full of animals. Survive your first winter and you're gold. There's a great start up guide that teaches you how to make a sustainable food cycle in the game so you can start exploring caves and stuff like that.

http://dont-starve-game.wikia.com/wiki/Guides/Self-sustaining_Settlement_Guide

16. chombiekay

chombiekay Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    crap. i accidentally bought this for iPad. if a dev is reading this, should i request a refund or will this be universal through an update so i can play on my iPhone?

17. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    Dang... Starting to see many games that won't play on my mini original. Makes me sad.

18. t0panka

t0panka Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Creative Director
    Slovakia
    #98 t0panka, Jul 10, 2015
    Where did you get this information please?

BTW i have this game on my Mac and let me tel you THIS is the best game i EVER played and i played A LOT. With all seriousness this is pure awesome. I am buying iPad just because of this game and 5$ for this is NOTHING - you get 43928473 hours of gameplay from this game.

TIP: DON'T read any guides or anything about this game. Exploring is the best thing about this game!

19. Den Den

Den Den Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2014
    I'm playing this on my Mini 2 and it definitely gets warm while running this game after a while, I'd say warmer than any other game.

Any similar experiences?

20. TokyoDan

TokyoDan Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Does Don't Starve allow any way of saving one's progress?