Universal Don't Starve: Pocket Edition (by Klei Entertainment)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Jul 9, 2015.

1. darkcrayon

darkcrayon Member

Jul 26, 2009
    What do you mean? This is a game ported from the PC and apparently the hardware requirements are such that an A5 with 512 mb of RAM just doesn't cut it. You've really already figured it out: I'm sure they WANT money from all of the iPad 2/mini owners, but the game can't run well on those devices due to hardware constraints. It's also possible (though unlikely) they could get it to work in the future. But devs can't put out new games and still cater to devices with 4 generations-old hardware.

The original mini is kindof in a poor position- it had "old" SoC hardware when it came out. At least Apple is still supporting it with one last iOS upgrade (probably) which I don't think anyone outside of Apple expected it to receive.

2. Oldgamer

Oldgamer Well-Known Member

May 22, 2015
    It's not a case of not allowing you to play it, it's simply that your hardware isn't capable of running it at an acceptable framerate.
    Imagine the complaints if they released a game on say an iPad 2 and it was like a slideshow and got 2-3fps. People would be livid.

Really the developers want it to work on as many devices as possible but the hardware is the problem.

3. davygee

davygee New Member

Jul 9, 2015
    I don't understand that the game works on iPad 3 and not iPad 2 seeing as "benchmarkwise", the iPad 2 probably performs better than an iPad 3 as it doesn't need to push retina visuals. It must be down to the memory.

Also, I can understand iOS 8 compatibility, as adoption is now sitting at 88% with only 10% on iOS 7.

4. ashmike3

ashmike3 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    Downloading. Would love to see this thread turn to talk about gameplay.

5. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Why not put your hair shirt and crucifix up on eBay?

6. kyoukusanagi

kyoukusanagi Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    its not about "allowing" or "how much money they lose"
    its simply that your old device is not strong enough to run the game. if they actually "allow" you to buy it. they will get complaints about how the game is lagging, crashing. has bad graphics. low fps. and all other crap. probably from people like you as well.

so in the end? dont think they lost anyhting. most people here went instabuy anyway

7. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    #47 klink, Jul 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
    Never mind, my stupidity. Regardless, this game looks excellent.

8. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    Yeah, and what about all those stupid PS3 games that Sony won't "allow" PS2 owners to play on their PS2s?? How stupid is that?

And why the heck won't the devs let me play all the awesome new PC games on my 486dx2??? It makes no sense! :mad::mad:

:rolleyes:

9. kyoukusanagi

kyoukusanagi Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    think of all the money the developer lost because people like me cant play it on my iphone 4. stupid devs. they're going bankrupt

10. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Trust me, Klei is not going bankrupt anytime soon.

11. The Son of Anarchy

The Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    So... how Is the game? Any good or what? :D

12. davygee

davygee New Member

Jul 9, 2015
    I'm not bitching at all. If you read my post properly, you would see that I was curious why it can work on an iPad 3 and not an iPad 2....and suggested that it was down to RAM or lack of.

13. jgeirge

jgeirge Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2015
    The process I posted a few pages back works nearly the identically for operating software on older hardware. More often than not the older hardware does handle the game properly, but developers cease to optimize it due to ram issues. Essentially through force installing canyon play this game on your iPad 2+ or your iPad Mini. You're welcome & let me know if any of this works out to your advantage!

14. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    Mea culpa

15. davygee

davygee New Member

Jul 9, 2015
    No worries. Anyway, looking forward to going home and downloading this onto my iPad. Should keep me busy while on my holiday.

16. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

My hearts is still broken that Dungeon Raid doesn't properly work on iOS 8 :(

I had to do a fresh iOS install and it broke the game, you can't edit your class without it crashing. That game is dead in the water, the dev has long since moved on.

17. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

I'm sorry guys but I have to do this:

Please stop talking about hardware incompatibility in this thread. This discussion should focus on gameplay and strategies, even more so given the depth and complexity of this game. If you wish to discuss further the technicality or the exclusion of certain hardware, I'd advise you to open a new thread in the "General Game Discussion" subforum.

Thank you. Now back to Don't Starve :)

18. ashmike3

May 15, 2014
    1st try...I starved. It said not to, but I did anyway.
    Really great game. I played a lot on PC when it first realeased. I'm liking it on iPad better. Controls are solid. Very smooth. Time to start building a solid camp, oh yeah..and stockpile some food.

19. tekchic

tekchic Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Female
    Software Developer
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have this game on Vita and I'm terrible at it! Starve, starve, starve. So of course I bought it for iPad this morning. :D

Downloaded a couple of Wikia style guides and cookbooks today so I can figure out why I'm so bad at this game. Love the game and the idea, but I'm terrible at knowing what I'm supposed to be doing. So far I've run around and cut trees and ate some questionable mushrooms/berries, and tried to kill a rabbit but I couldn't catch the bastard. Here's to a long road trip weekend and some time on the iPad with Don't Starve!

20. ashmike3

May 15, 2014
    Caught some rabbits. Build a trap and bait it with seeds. I still starved but that rabbit didn't make it either.