Universal Don't Starve: Pocket Edition (by Klei Entertainment)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Jul 9, 2015.

1. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    People upgrade to 8.4. Apple doesn't patch old versions of iOS. Your running an OS with multiple zero day vulnerabilities. Honestly iOS 8 is much better than iOS 7. Safari crashing issues are a thousand times better.

2. SwipeNova

SwipeNova Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Games that broke are fixed already. just upgrade lol >_>

3. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    This is a wonderful port, looks and moves beautifully, and the controls are as good as one could hope for on a touch device. It's also feature identical to the PC version, right down to the ridiculous amount of control you have over creating new worlds.

4. darkcrayon

darkcrayon Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Funny, I consider Apple's mobile hardware processor-wise to be pretty cutting edge- when the iPad 2 came out there was really nothing in its league in terms of GPU, and they've really accelerated their advancements in CPU/GPU since around the iPad 4/iPhone 5 era :)

But I agree, it's time to upgrade if you're still running an iPad 2 and interested in iOS games. And you can still get a few dollars for it to put towards a mini 2 or a first gen Air if you don't want to spring for the Air 2.

Haven't played this game on PC but I'm probably going to buy it out of curiosity and seemingly popular love for it...

5. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    annoying, more and more games an ipad mini is not sufficient. Seems like the ipad mini 2 was the first to hit PC capability or something.

6. ip4weather

ip4weather Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012
    works good on ipad mini 2 ios 8.4

7. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
  8. The Son of Anarchy

The Son of Anarchy Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    If your curiosity does best you please be sure to drop a note on its performance on your iPad2. I'm running one also for gaming, and it's been very faithful to me so far, will be sad to see it go when I upgrade. Thanks in advance :)

9. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    The bottleneck for most games on iPad 2 and the first Mini is the RAM, 512mb simply isn't enough. After that it's a requirement for A7 and 64-bit processors, sometimes for Metal but other times just for performance.

10. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Check out this chart for relative power of iOS devices, it'll explain why some apps require the device combinations that they do.

https://browser.primatelabs.com/ios-benchmarks

11. Doesn't 8.3 and above break any iExplorer/iFunbox capabilities? I'm still on 8.1 because I'm not willing to lose the ability to manually back up saves.

12. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    Lesson #1. Don't punch a beehive.

13. JakConstantine

JakConstantine Active Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Male

Yeah just give me £250-399 and I will agree. Yes boo and it's more like bills, etc doesn't make things easier for me.

14. jgeirge

jgeirge Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2015
    #35 jgeirge, Jul 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
    [​IMG]

For those looking to play this game on iPhones, there are some prerequisites that need to be met:
    •Jailbroken
    •Purchased The Game
    •A PC or Mac
    •20 minutes of free time

[​IMG]

Alright so let's get started; first please purchase the game & download it onto your computer. Locate the IPA file, somewhere within iTunes documents folder, and connect your JAILBROKEN iPhone.

Using ifunbox, transfer the iPA file over to your file system. (NOTE: If you're iPhones filesystem cannot be accessed please install "AFC2ADD") Now open Cydia & install the tweaks "IPA Installer" & "Force Good Fit." Once installed, please open IPA installer, turning on force install within the apps settings & locate your legally obtained copy of Don't Starve Pocket Edition in your local iPhone file system. Install the game.

If it is a successful install congratulations you've installed an iPad game on an iPhone (take that Apple!) Now you can stop here if 2 Black Bars on the screen are your thing, if not then continue reading.

After the installation please go to your settings app, open the newly installed ForceGoodFit and enable it for the following application "Don't Starve." After a respring the game will now run at full screen; albeit, with some less than noticeable caveats. Some menus do not fully display option buttons, rarely does this occur (Don't Check the controls options!) Furthermore, in game UI overlaps, so within the Games settings, reduce UI size to at least 1.

There you go! The game is very fun, enjoyable and now a true "Pocket Edition!"

[​IMG]

15. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Awesome. Too bad my phone's not jailbroken. But maybe things like this might convince the devs to make the game universal.

16. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    Does this work well on s iPhone once it's modded?

17. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    that's life man. Don't expect the world to stop for you...

...I am still on Ipad2 as well. It's old hardware and I no longer have any expectation that it will run current games. Just the way it goes...

18. Oldgamer

Oldgamer Well-Known Member

May 22, 2015
    I understand and would normally agree but I use a certain app to track my meds and was informed that it didn't work in iOS 8.x so that's the reason I stick to 7.1.2

After looking at this I might buy the PC version though, it's a nice compromise ;)

19. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    how do the developers benefit from not allowing everyone to play the game. I have an iPad mini but that's not allowed to download and play. Wonder how much money they lose from not allowing 40-60% of Apple product owners buy their games.