Universal Don't Starve: Pocket Edition (by Klei Entertainment)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Jul 9, 2015.

1. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    From the very first line on Wikipedia:

Most games with roguelike elements are inherently niche. They are designed from the ground up to be difficult and such the audience would be smaller than otherwise would be expected. Do you also go to FTL and Binding of Isaac forums and complain about permadeath?

Also, claiming that the toggles to adjust certain game elements would also justify and switch for permadeath is a bad argument. Those switches are there to allow for more variability, or to emphasise certain aspects more than others. They can be cranked up as well and down. They could of left them out completely and barely anyone would notice.

2. Skylez

Skylez Active Member

May 15, 2015
    I read in one of the updates in the App Store a month ago that the devs would try to support devices with 512 RAM (iPad mini 1 etc..)

Are you think would to be possible that Dont Starve runs on a iphone 4s? (For example) I enjoy this game in my iPad mini 2 :D but it would be more comfortable carrying into my ipod touch 5g :(

Sorry for my bad english :(

3. Kour

Kour Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2009
    This game is pretty cool aye. Worth every cent. Quite challenging though.

4. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    Does this run cooler and drain less battery on iOS 9?

5. Press2Play

Press2Play Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2012
    Bussinessman
    Philippines
    Ahhh please Klei add virtual analog stick please please please.

6. aikavari

aikavari Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    This or Sproggiwood?

7. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #307 Ayjona, Sep 30, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
    Far too dissimilar for any genre-specific or mechanical comparisons. In terms of pure fun, provided you enjoy both types of games, I think Don't Starve comes out on top thanks to deeper polish, it's entirely unique atmosphere and style, and possibly greater longevity (if you enjoy trial and error, and starting from scratch for better do-overs).

(In contrast, Sproggiwood offers greater accessibility and a much stronger sense of long-term progression.)

Another model for contrasting the two is that if you want something truly hardcore, go with Don't Starve (but expect to be slapped in the face and spit at while you rub your cheeks in wide-eyed wounded innocense). While if you want some hardcore mechanics and a reasonable level of tactical challenge (Sproggiwood CAN be very unforgiving as well), but an overall steady progression, ways to grind to reduce future obstacles, and challenges that won't bend you over backwards until you break, go with Sproggiwood.

(It should be added that on the highest difficulty level, Sproggiwood becomes a very different mushroom-clog-beast, with very tricky enemy behaviour. But to me, it still doesn't come near Don't Starve's ultimately terminal, always brutal nature.)

8. CDemps

CDemps Member

Sep 29, 2015
    3d Animator by day, developer by night!
    Ireland
    #308 CDemps, Sep 30, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
    Must get this on my iPad, loved playing it on my laptop when it was released on steam, though I suck and have never survived winter! Great art direction, lovely quirky game. Nice mechanics, simple to understand and loads of variety unlike some more popular crafting games. Will wait to try on iPad though, people seem to be having issues?

9. gonif

gonif Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    Anyone know a way to turn off the daily auto save? It crashes the game sometimes, meaning that entire day is lost. An irritating issue.

10. Skylez

Skylez Active Member

May 15, 2015
    #310 Skylez, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
    This update support ipod touch 5??

11. khann

khann Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2013
    It still hasn't changed the requirements in the main description but it can be used on iPad mini 1st gen with a frame rate drop. A "compatibility mode."

12. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Always being curious about this game but never picked it up because unsure I would like it (I generally do not like crafting only games).

So, despite not being a PC gamer since ages, last weekend all Klei games were free on Steam so I tried Don't Starve and Invisible Inc. on a Macbook (already played the awesome Mark of the Ninja on a 360 long ago).
    I have little doubts Invisible Inc. will come to iOS (potentially awesome)...but when I started Don't Starve I was literally sucked in in its weird world.
    2 hours later I immediately bought the iOS version which is, frankly, even better.

WOW, what an awesome game....cant' wait to hit the story mode already!
    I was a bit esitant after reading about 'save issues' in the first comments...apparently they are now patched if anyone is interested because the game saves flawlessly, support perfectly iCloud sync between device and you can even manual save on pause.

It's really fantastic, feels like a native game.
    And it's SO DAMN GOOD.
    Brutal, but good.

13. Just4today1125

Just4today1125 New Member

Jan 29, 2016
    Lmao

14. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Whats the story mode? I bought it but it never hooked me before.

15. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    I have literally only seen the story mode entrance in this game one time, and over 20 hours of play. It might help to look at the wiki on it, but you will see a portal like the one in the intro video, go through it and it starts the story mode. Story mode is it random pre-design worlds, so you're not really sure which ones you will get.

16. Hi, need some help with the game. How can I sync my savegames from the iPad with my iPhone? It doesn't work automatically... anyone got the same problem?
    Cheerio,

Carsten

17. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I am officially late to the party... But also officially hooked. =oP

I have never been a fan of crafting games... Junk Jack, Minecraft, Terraria, Block Fortress, Radiation Island... none of them clicked with me after countless hours of playing...

I wound up buying Don't Starve on Steam in December of last year because a friend at work had been talking about it for months, but I didn't really get into it until Crashlands came out and I got more and more familiar with the crafting/survival type gameplay. After I hit the 3rd World and inched closer to beating Crashlands, I started looking for the next game that would get my attention. At that time, the iOS version of Don't Starve went on sale and I wound up purchasing it. I thought that if I had it available to me at all times, that I would be able to dedicate more time to it... Of course, as is the case with most all iOS games, it worked out that way. Now months later, I still haven't even touched Adventure Mode and the Caves are still virgin territory, but I love it. It's actually hard to adequately describe how much I absolutely adore this game.

It's comparable to the feeling you get when you're listening to a complex piece of music and just can't wrap your head around it... But keep listening, and listening... Eventually having that "a'ha" moment and ending with an understanding of the music that you never could have imagined months ago, while also being left with a more in depth understanding of music structure, production, programming, theory ect... Whatever... And then living and incorporating all of that experience as a whole into your life and who you are functionally...

That is how I feel about Don't Starve.

It has had a huge impact on me and not just on my video game life... I've started looking at my life, issues and creatures around me in more focused ways.

Sorry for this wall of text... But I LOVE this game. And LOVE Klei for developing and nurturing this beast of an entity.

18. Claud

Claud Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2014
    New York

Do you like more than Crashlands?

19. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yes, I do. Mainly because of its non-linear setup. Granted, you could play that way in Crashlands, but there's no real incentive.

Crashlands is still a strong contender for GOTY from me though... if you can grab both, you really should. If you're looking for something that doesn't hold your hand, I'd go for DS... if you'd like more quest oriented gameplay, I'd snag Crashlands.

20. Claud

Claud Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2014
    New York

In DS you die and lose your character unlike Crashlands though, right?