Universal Don't Starve: Pocket Edition (by Klei Entertainment)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Jul 9, 2015.

1. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    No, the game is grounded in touch screen controls, so controllers wouldn't be useful. (Coming from a controller person!)

2. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    However, the game has been ported to Vita and PS4, with an Xbox One port also coming soon, so it wouldn't be completely out of the way for them to add controller support to this version.

3. Nonstickron

Nonstickron Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Graphic Artist / Pre-Press
    Central Florida
    I've tried force quitting when I die and it still deletes my game. In fact I'm lowering my rating to a 3/5 because permadeath should be an option I can toggle off. I get why some people love it, but it pretty much ruins this game for me.

4. jgeirge

jgeirge Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2015
    A virtual joystick control scheme would be cool, as I find my hand covering the screen from time to time when moving forward.

5. geno11233

geno11233 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    #285 geno11233, Sep 5, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
    That's weird because I do it a lot when I die. And when I don't do that it spawns me at the weird rock thing. You have iCloud turned on right?

6. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    Touchstone? If so.. That gives you an extra life, but only if you've activated one.

The basic premise of the game is that it is unforgiving, not a modern handholding affair. I feel if there was a toggle it would undermine it for everyone... At the moment everyone is f***ed, and no game setting can alleviate that! ;)

7. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

Dude the whole thing about this game is to survive and permadeath when you fail so you learn about your mistakes. Not having permadeath makes the game boring after a while.

8. scottbailey

scottbailey Active Member

Nov 2, 2013
    Holy %$@ the heat and battery drain for this game needs to be tamed.

(Edit: iPhone 6)

9. Nonstickron

Sep 24, 2009
    Central Florida
    And that's fine, for people who enjoy that experience. Some don't. Some might, later, when they're more experienced with the game. Most people I have talked to that have played it (on PC) have said how awesome it is in one breath, and then when I ask if they still play go on to tell me how they just stopped playing out of frustration. How is that helping the game? It doesn't matter what the "point" is if you just drive people away. What percentage of people play the game a few hours and then give up on it forever. I'm willing to bet money that the percentage is in the majority.

Saying a permadeath toggle would invalidate the game, invalidates aaaaaall the other difficulty toggles that already exist. Why not be able to play on harder settings but without permadeath. How is being able to play with all the harmful stuff toggled off a better option than that??

(And no, Gamecenter has been unresponsive on iOS 9 for me. So I'm actually grateful there's an option to disable it in this game. Every game I have that checks for Gamecenter on load has been unplayable. I keep hoping each new release will fix my Gamecenter but it hasn't happened yet.)

Regardless, telling me, "just use this exploit" because a toggle would make the game pointless...I just don't see it. Make it unlock after dying a certain number of times under a certain number of days in, or via exp points, or whatever. Hell, go ahead and make it a $3 IAP. Let people vote with their bank accounts.

10. khann

khann Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Well this game seems to be doing fine without an non-permadeath mode. If they kept getting bad reviews with that complaint, they would have added it already.

Holy balls, YES.

11. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    This is the biggest drawback with playing on this platform IMO. Dwarfs any issues I've been having with controls, which I've mostly found workarounds for and isn't really an issue at this stage. Also have an ip6.

12. geno11233

Nov 29, 2013
    I just thank god it's not like radiation island... But yeah I hope they can help with that problem

13. Claud

Claud Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2014
    New York
    This issue with Radiation Island makes it unplayable for me. Not just the battery drain but most importantly the great heat the device generates while playing really makes it uncomfortable on the hand, not to mention the potential to damage battery life.

Is Don't Starve comparable to that?

14. scottbailey

scottbailey Active Member

Nov 2, 2013
    I haven't played Radiation Island. But I can play Don't Starve for about 20 minutes before my phone becomes uncomfortably hot and the battery loses about 3-5% with the charger plugged in.

The Hearthstone and Splendor devs, respectively, solved this issue, so hopefully we can get a fix for Don't Starve as well.

15. geno11233

Nov 29, 2013
    #295 geno11233, Sep 6, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
    Not even close. Radiation island will drain my full battery in like 15 mins and get insanely hot. I can play this for 2 hours on a full charge to 20% and it doesn't get too hot on my 6. It does get hotish, but not too hot.

16. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

#296 ednan, Sep 6, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
    "Saying a permadeath toggle would invalidate the game, invalidates aaaaaall the other difficulty toggles that already exist."

No it doesn't. The game is quite limited and around 100 days you will be bored to death and will have no reason to play it ever again since there's no challenge to survive or whatsoever.

This game *is built* around permadeath. If you can die and keep everything you've done and explored, there's is no point in dying in first place; just make your character invincible. While at it why not a toggle to give infinite resources? And while at it, why not have a toggle to have the game play by itself?

What people fail sometimes to understand is that *maybe* the game isn't for them. That's quite ok, especially when the game has permadeath. Nobody will judge you. The developer don't have to adapt their games to every single personal preference in detriment of ruining the whole point of the game which is survive and explore.

And for controller people, yes this game was ported to consoles and it's playable with controller, but its extremely awkward compared to mouse/keyboard and touchscreen. The game was developed to be point and click, so the touch screen actually fits quite well.

17. unoriginal7

unoriginal7 Member

Nov 3, 2014
    I can see how the game was developed for mouse and kb... I started on xbox1 and the controller is great and responsive the only problem I think most of us are having is on the iPhone just moving around you're covering a good portion of a already small screen vs a small mouse icon...

18. Nonstickron

Sep 24, 2009
    Central Florida
    You already can have infinite resources pretty much, via world settings. And invincibility, by turning off individual threats. I'm saying that, maxing out resource settings and turning off threats... is less fun than having them all set to hard but being able to load from last save if something crappy happens.

Having that as an option wouldn't invalidate the game any more than the current world customization toggles already do.

And the reason more people don't complain about permadeath...Google "don't starve permadeath" and look at all the attempts by people to mention it that get belittled by fanboys.

Don't get me wrong, it's an awesome game. I just wish it was more approachable...and apparently less elitist.

19. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

It's not about elitism, it's about the refusal to understand that maybe the game is not for whoever complains. The "something crappy happens" is part of the game. This game is old already, and they never implemented this option. I don't see why they would now. Again, being able to recover from an incident breaks the whole point of the game. Failing, starting over, learning, adapting are part of this game and genre. It's a steep curve sometimes, and that put off many players, but that's the game. A way to roll back a game with permadeath is not permadeath, permadeath is not meant to be convenient, it's made to make you calculate your decisions and learn how to better perform with time.

I know you can argue that's only an option, and that it would not influence everyone's gameplay, but again, it's not the point of the game. Maybe the game is not for the people who complain about permadeath. Permadeath it's not everyone's cup of tea and that's ok.

By the way, why the hell would there be elitism in a single-player offline game? It doesn't make any sense...

Anyway, good luck waiting for a load a previous save on a permadeath game.

20. Nonstickron

Sep 24, 2009
    Central Florida
    Well, one can hope. :)