Don't Run With a Plasma Sword

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by XperimentalZ, Aug 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

How nice does the game look to you?

1. Looks as awesome as bacon! I'd buy!

30 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. Looks promising but I'd like to have more info first

20 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Hmm not sure, needs work on gameplay

3 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. Hmm not sure, needs work on art

16 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. Hmm not sure, needs more content

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  6. Hmm not sure, needs work on title/story/thematic

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  7. Not interested, even if bacon is tossed along with it

9 vote(s)
    11.3%
  1. XperimentalZ

XperimentalZ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    XperimentalZ Games Founder
    Montreal, Canada
    Yeah, it is hard to come up with a visual style that will please everyone. What did you think of the the gameplay preview though?

2. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    That's an interesting idea, although I'm not sure if I'd put them in regular endless modes or if I'd put that in a special game mode?

3. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Title sounds like an episode of Arby N The Chief. Gameplay looks like a crazy version of I Must Run. Subscribed.

4. h0130j03

h0130j03 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Lulz funny comic panels

5. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    I just added a few screenhots at the beginning of the thread for 3 of the 4 planned environments :D

6. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    Looks amazing!

Consider doing unlocks like in Air Supply. That prolonged the life span of that game a lot. :)

7. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    #27 XperimentalZ, Aug 28, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
    Oh I have not tried that game, but I should as it looks nice. I'm not sure if that's what you're talking about, but there will be a bunch of skills that can be unlocked in DWRAPS. Unlocks will also include cloth customization; it will be possible to change the color of the sword, hair, shirt and pants of the main character :D.

On a side note, I just added a new gameplay video about the first Level. There's still a few glitches, but the game is not even in beta yet so that's to be expected.

Here's a picture of the assets which were used to make the City Level:

[​IMG]

8. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    That picture is so awesome that it's now my new wallpaper!!!! :D

9. jumpman475

jumpman475 Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Student
    Ithaca, NY
    Same. That pic is damn sweet

10. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Hehe thanks. I think it will look quite good on retina and ipad.

If you want an even larger version (1400x640), you can click on the city screenhot from the DRWAPS web page

11. jumpman475

Aug 31, 2009
    Student
    Ithaca, NY
    WOAH! Now THAT is sweet:D

12. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    #32 XperimentalZ, Aug 29, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
    I finally tried Air Supply and I now understand better what you're saying. That game is nice, I liked the art direction, the game is fun to play and their unlock system is interesting. Definitely worth 1$.

However what came to me is a typical thing that we find in most runners. Every game feel the same, and you end up dying because something out of your control happened, which can be frustrating at times. For instance that's something we can also feel in games like Monster Dash, I Must Run, Canabalt, which are excellent games nonetheless. Robot Unicorn attack is a bit better on the controls side, but it's always the same map which runs in a loop.

That's something we tried to address when we started the development since our goal was to produce the most intense runner experience on the App Store, yet which would be fair in the sense that you'd die because you made a mistake and not because you were thrown something you could not react to.

Thus our approach was to have tons of variety with the map configurations and obstacles, and a 3 buttons scheme which included sort of 'combos'. Slashing while in the air gives you dash, which allows you to maintain your altitude for a while. Sliding while in the air produces a Dive attack which makes you crash down in a hurry, which allows you to go back down to the ground quickly. Double jump gives you yet another safety net if you missed a step.

So yes the game is bit more complex than the typical runner and some casual players will find it more difficult to play at the Hard and Expert Levels, but the goal was to produce an exhilarating, fair and non-repetitive experience meant to bring the genre forward.

I don't know how other players feel about that, but I'd like to know :). More inclined toward casual or hardcore?

13. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    It depends. Do you find yourself mashing buttons, getting a sense a panic when you are getting close to your best score and sweating after you die? Well, that is sorta hardcore. But if you're relaxed while playing the game and it's not as andrenaline rushing, I guess you can say it is casual.

But, IMO, I think it is both, hardcore and casual.

14. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    What's both hardore and casual to you? Air Supply, Don't Run or the games you like?

Just to rephrase what I was saying, we're trying to bring more depth in the game mechanics of Don't Run With a Plasma Sword, compared to more traditional runners. The target being to produce a frantic gaming experience with precise controls and a lot of variety from game to game. We hope that people will appreciate that :).

I wish we could put polls on the forum :rolleyes:, that would be a useful tools for developers...

15. jumpman475

Aug 31, 2009
    Student
    Ithaca, NY
    Cool, I get what you're saying.

And I think you can put a poll in threads. Since you created the thread just check to see if there are any options for posting a poll. Maybe you can only do it when you create the thread, but there should be a way.

16. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    OooOoh it looks like you're right..nice! I'll set up one at once :D

17. jumpman475

Aug 31, 2009
    Student
    Ithaca, NY
    Haha glad you found it. Polls are nice if you need to find out public opinion quickly

18. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    #38 XperimentalZ, Aug 30, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
    I just added a new poll to the thread (thanks to jumpman475). We'd like to get a general idea of what people think, while there's still time left to tweak the game, so please vote! (especially those of you who read but don't post) :D

19. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    We just finished one of the last monsters to be put in game:

[​IMG]

This will be a flying enemy moving left and right, that you'll have to slash through as you jump. Dashing should be quite useful against them ;)

20. jumpman475

Aug 31, 2009
    Student
    Ithaca, NY
    Lol, his face looks pretty funny when he gets blown up:D