Don't Run With A Plasma Sword - FREE

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by syntheticvoid, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    I got sucked in for a bit, and then I realized that with the prices of the upgrades, I would have to play for at least 2 lifetimes to achieve anything substantial...

The game itself is great, but yeah, the upgrade model/pricing didn't really encourage playing long-term.

DBC

2. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Spot on, my thoughts exactly. I had the same issue with the he man game.

3. Drummerboycroy

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Yeah, I hate saying it, but I'm fairly certain He-man got nerfed after the update... I can't remember if DRWAPS was always this bad, but WOW, talk about pay-walls...

DBC

4. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    This sentence makes absolutely no sense. You should get a job translating Asian apps.

5. XperimentalZ

XperimentalZ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    XperimentalZ Games Founder
    Montreal, Canada
    Actually you're right, XP gains do seem to be lower than what they should be. After playing several of the past release versions, I could not find major difference in the early stage of the game. However, I think that at some point a bug fix affected the mid/late stage XP gains progression.

You think that doubling the XP gains would sound fair?

That said, I should mention that there are 2 lines of upgrades which directly increase XP gains; Alien Knowledge and Alchemy. Also, grinding on later stages provide around twice as much XP as on earlier stages.

6. Drummerboycroy

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    First, thanks for taking constructive criticism and not freaking out.;):D

This is always a tough subject. There have been countless mini-flame wars over the differences between playing for free all the way through (which sucks, and every time someone openly brags about it I want to punch something), being an expert as compared to a more casual player and who should be able to enjoy the game based on their relative skill level, the arc of the game (beginning, middle, end & relative progression at each stage), etc.

Many of these conversations involve "better" players saying it's easy, players with less skill saying F-U, etc.

For perspective, I am apparently one of the "better" players at Subway Surfers, based on some of the arguments I've witnessed in that thread regarding Coin collecting, score, and progression.:rolleyes:;):D

That said, I can only speak for myself (I hate it when people say that.:rolleyes:), but even factoring in the Replicator, XP gain vs. what is needed to feel like you are progressing is not even close to satisfying.

It quickly got to the point where I was looking at 10+ stats needing 100,000+ XP, and I just gave up at that point. I am NOT a member of the "anti-grinding" posse, but it's got to feel reasonable, you know?

As I've said a million times, the game itself is ridiculously fun and well-made, but discouraging to play.

Double XP could work, or some way to get much larger chunks every so often (by every so often I mean VERY rarely). As it stands, the daily play bonuses became virtually meaningless all but immediately as the XP levels necessary quickly dwarf what you collect. Everplay, Kiloo, Pine Entertainment, and others have figured this out. Their daily bonus structure is super sweet and DRAMATICALLY increases desire to play.

FWIW, Alien Knowledge and Alchemy were the first stats I maxed. It's a thing with me.:eek:;):D

Thanks for asking!

Best Wishes,

DBC

7. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    What do you like about the way they made the daily bonuses?

Thanks for your feedback!

8. Drummerboycroy

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    I'm going to PM you later so we don't clutter the thread.;):D

DBC

9. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
  10. _Max_

_Max_ Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Free again

11. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    I thought I should mention that since the last update, the XP gains have been increased overall, especially in the first half of the game (over x2). Lots of item prices have been lowered as well.

12. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    Free again. :)

13. Sash-O

Sash-O Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Germany
    It's free again! :)

14. Sash-O

Sash-O Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Germany
  15. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    This is one of my all time favorite games. I wish they would make a second one. (Hint hint)

Billy