Don't have permission to read thread!

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by EJX, Apr 7, 2019.

1. EJX

EJX New Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Hi. I'm trying to read the forum thread for an old game and it says I don't have permission?

Error
    You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.

This is the thread. The game is Star Trek Trexels.

https://toucharcade.com/community/threads/212326
    https://toucharcade.com/games/star-trek-trexels

I was able to read the thread without an account or anything a few months ago. I'm trying to beat the last stage of the storyline and I remember people talking about it on there... I appreciate any help!

I'm sorry if this is not the right place to ask the question. My broswer said the "Rules and Conditions" link sends it on an endless loop so it can't load.

What do I need to do to read the thread? Thanks!

2. Gambler

Gambler Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    #2 Gambler, Apr 8, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    Tried to access the thread to see if I get the same error. Sorry, can't help you with the issue itself but at least I can tell you that it doesn't lie on your side: It's already pretty weird that the site tells you that "you have to be logged in" just to watch a standard game thread. And after logging in a normal user account apparently doesn't have the permission to do so.

Very strange issue, hope somebody from TA knows what this is about and how to solve it for you.

EJX likes this.
  3. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    #3 Echoseven, Apr 8, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    Fixed it.

The thread was archived - and put in the Archived section, where turns out forum members don't have view permissions.

In terms of a solution... As weird as it is, I'm not sure we want to open up the archive. If anyone stumbles across more threads like these, send me a PM and I'll restore them.

Thanks for letting us know!

EJX and Gambler like this.
  4. EJX

EJX New Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Thank you Gambler for letting us know that it wasn`t something on my end, and thank you Echoseven for restoring the thread. Much appreciated!

Do threads automatically get archived once they have not been replied to for more than 4 years? I`m sorry if this is an inappropriate question. I tried to find a guide and rules to the forums but no threads for them showed up in search.

Gambler likes this.
  5. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I don’t actually know, to be honest. It’s not something the moderators were a part of.

From the looks of things, it was a one-off during the database migration to the new forum, though I can’t confirm that at the moment.

(That is - I can find evidence for both cases in threads that have been archived and ones that haven’t.)

6. Gambler

Gambler Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    You're welcome :)

Just out of curiosity: Do threads get archived after a while so nobody can revive/hijack years them years later again?

7. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Sorry about this. The site owner archived a ton of game threads that had no responses for more than 3 years in an effort to improve our Google ranking. From what I understood anybody (even non-members) should still have been able to access the threads and if they posted in an archived thread it would move into the normal games forum again. It seems that didn't happen. I'll have a talk with the owner and see what a good solution would be.