Universal Domino Drop (by Vitalii Zlotskii)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Jul 29, 2015.

1. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Holy shit didn't saw that either! I loved Pair Solitaire. Really an amazing game. Still deciding if i'm buying this. I'm not really into dominos myself.

2. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    OK bought!

That escalated quickly! :D

3. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    It's really good, lots of little details that make it what it is. I hope there is a mode in the future that lets you flip the sides, by just buy it now if you liked Pair Solitaire.

4. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    It is a good "drop" game. It has the quality of Pair Solitaire. I like it. Well made. I literally just played it on most of my lunch break & the more I play the more I like :)

5. ShinHadoukin

Feb 20, 2015
    The app icon could be cleaned up a little. The bottom edges have white, so it looks like it was "cut out" but missed the lines s little. Not as clean as the Pair Solitaire icon.

6. OverNuked

OverNuked Active Member

Mar 18, 2014
    Programmer
    Aiken, SC
    Congratulations on getting featured! Cool game!

7. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    The devs here clearly can take simple concepts and give them so much polish and intuitive UI, the games become so much more than the sim of their parts. :D

8. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    I'm unclear from the video whether or not there is any time pressure in this game. Can you take as long as you want to make moves?

9. ShinHadoukin

Feb 20, 2015
    No timer. Just do your best & take your time. Great music too.

10. ShinHadoukin

Feb 20, 2015
    App does look good downloaded. Edgy on TA.

11. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    This game is excellent. Such great polish!

12. Collin

Collin Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Graphic Designer/Illustrator/Art Director
    Colorado Springs, CO
    So much style to this game. I would also like an option to be able to flip the dominos though.

As for the hardest mode removing the preview, and making you have to think ahead, I don't see how that's possible at all. Without the preview, you can't plan ahead because you don't know what's coming. All you can do is maximize your options and hope.

That aside, I do love the game so far.

13. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    Perfect, thanks.

14. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    I was thinking the same thing.

15. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I too initially thought having no means to rotate pieces was a big oversight but now feel I get why they opted out of that and almost prefer it that way. Maybe a new mode could be introduced that is the default game with full piece rotation, but please keep it a separate mode as opposed to invalidating all scores made so far in the existing modes.

16. TheGodless

TheGodless Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    #36 TheGodless, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
    I agree about the rotation. It seems a little odd not being able to rotate, but I have gotten used to it and I think it would make the game too easy. I would like to see how it would play with rotation though and would for sure like a super easy rotation mode for longer gameplay.

My only real complaint, besides the memory bug and not getting any sleep from playing so much, is that the UI is a little troublesome. It seems like rather than having to click four times to get to a particular high score, click three times to change modes, and click twice to restart a new game on the same mode, all of that could be made quicker by making everything be in a drop down menu, so I can then spend more time playing of course.

17. new_ipodtouch5G_owner

new_ipodtouch5G_owner Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2015
    Canada
    #37 new_ipodtouch5G_owner, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
    Just as LordGek mentioned, i also thought not being able to rotate the pieces would make it less enjoyable. But as i kept playing it and playing it, i found it to be more challenging and more fun to NOT being able to rotate the domino pieces.

Honestly, i think being able to rotate the pieces would take away from the game dynamics and would probably make it way to easy to earn a high score. Perhaps adding a separate endless mode where one could have the choice to rotate the pieces.

For me, it's those little extras i appreciate in a game. For example, having to slide open the lid to start a new game. I really like the in-game music, it puts you in a very casual and relaxed mood.

Domino Drop is a very well-thought-out and beautifully crafted game that is fun and addictive.

I am also very happy you decided to make Domino Drop a premium game, that made it an instant buy for me. I will keep my fingers crossed and hope Pair Solitaire which is another really fun game may also go premium.

On a side not, the record player settings menu UI looks fantastic, if you ever decide to make a standalone music player app, you've already got a great design to start with.

18. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Like I said earlier I think having the number values flipped rather than rotating the entire piece would be a very cool mode. That would be a happy medium.

19. Misguided

Jan 27, 2009
    Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. This is one of those games you will swear is screwing with you on purpose. Like it knows exactly what piece you are hoping for, but gives it to you in an orientation that you can't possibly use, etc.

As for the rotation/pro argument, I think a possible compromise might be to allow 180 degree rotation only, which fits the domino theme when you think about it. The pro mode could be exactly like the basic mode is now (preview, but no rotation). "Pro" mode could then be an option on standard play or Tails.

I would love to see a puzzle mode where you have a scripted set of dominoes to remove all dominoes from the board. I think for that mode, you would want full piece rotation so there are more possibilities.

20. ShinHadoukin

Feb 20, 2015
    #40 ShinHadoukin, Jul 31, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
    Fantastic ideas!!! Great point about the 180 rotation. I'd still like to see that as another mode and keep the original mode. Great game.