iPhone Dominion (By Making Fun, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by strivemind, Dec 1, 2015.

1. @DE_Clements

@DE_Clements Active Member

Dec 7, 2013
    # So, now it's Dumbinion...?

2. Unfrozen

Unfrozen Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 11, 2011
    Canada
    Cool man. We all get stuck into a negative spiral from time to time and a walk outdoors or time with friends snaps me out of it.

Glad you are feeling better.

3. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

AI is rushing to buy provinces and the next one down on some of the stages I've played so far. I've had to adapt my strategy a few times to beat some of them. I don't know if it's a strong AI cuz I'm not very good player yet but it seems pretty competent so far to me at least.

4. meponder

meponder Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 23, 2013
    Reminds me of another game...

I'm waiting on this to download; I can roll with IAP if it's fair and implemented well. I do prefer premium (and back that up with purchases) but dem's de times, amiright? However, the interface bears a strong resemblance to a game from last year, but I can't remember what it was. You played with different elements that gained more power as you collected more cards in that element (rather than playing one earlier) (risk vs reward approach). Drawing a blank on the name, though. Anyone remember?

5. cymsdale

cymsdale Member

Nov 2, 2013
    I don't care about having to be logged in, whatever. However, buying any expansion should disable ads.

6. wlueger

wlueger Active Member

Jan 9, 2015
    as already mentioned: VEmpire (history based Deckbuilder) will come 2016 to iOS…
    what we can promise, because we hate it as you:

– It will be fixed priced! No “Free to play”!
    – Never you will see advertisement!
    – No In-App purchasement!
    – No internet connection required for games against AI!

(http://vempiregame.com/promotion/the-market-for-vempire/)

7. Dragan

Dragan Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Belgium
    That's the spirit! I will be happy to pay premium price for this one.

8. jForsythe

jForsythe Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2013
    How is it the app stores fault they don't set the prices for iap Making fun, inc do. You should be jumping on their backs not the App Store.

9. Drakeer Melkhor

Drakeer Melkhor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Freelance
    Spain
  10. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I like your style, Mr.

I also though have to admit, while truly over priced and with a silly online connection requirement, the bots in Dominion are pretty damned challenging. While I have seen a couple of rare instances where the AI would get stuck in some stupid loop (like prioritizing the purchase of a fairly useless card over everything else), they usually can instantly adapt to a viable strategy no matter what random assortment of cards the market provides them.

11. YaoYao

YaoYao Active Member

May 21, 2014
    Dominion has had a web-based (HTML5) game up for months now. This game, is that game (albeit with whatever changes neccessary to run as an iOS app).

Dominion is an incredible card game, my wife and I own the core and 3 expansions. I actually purchased the full digital unlock for the HTML5 version awhile ago and so I have everything on this version as well since it uses the same account.

I can say that the prices you see in the game now match up with the prices they've had for awhile. I don't think the pricing is a result of "greedy devs/publishers" as others seem to think. Rather, I think that the company that makes the board game, which sells for $30-40 a set, don't want to sell their digital versions for $1.

I'll add that in multiplayer games only a single user (I think they have to host) needs access to an expansion.

Also, the AI is...good and bad. It usually manages to find a fairly good strategy for most card sets, but it will sometimes get caught in loops where it doesn't buy any victory cards (and thus loses badly). All in all, it's pretty challenging.

I haven't tried to play a full game with the app yet, I just checked that my old login unlocked everything; but I wanted to share some information on the digital versions of the game in general.

12. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    At least vs. the bots, playing via the app is much smoother and quicker than the old web play. AI turns are done at the speed of light!

13. falcon815

falcon815 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    News broke on the Making Fun forums yesterday that their license for Dominion Online will not be renewed after December 31 of this year. Dominion will migrate to another company... again.

14. Baracus

It's like Groundhog Day. How are they gonna mess it up third (or 4th) time around? :)

At least they say purchases will be preserved in the new service. Fingers crossed it is properly polished and fit for what is soon to be flipping 2020 tech!!

15. falcon815

falcon815 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Ads are disabled if you make ANY in-app purchase. I purchased the "Black Market" promo card for $1.99. This means you can play against the AI with Black Market in play, and Black Market draws from every card in the game. So, you can play games with 9 base set cards and a set of other mystery cards. It gets a little samey, but there's enough mystery to keep it interesting.

16. Dragan

Dragan Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Belgium
    The day this game moves to a stable company and the price for the whole enchilada is fair and reasonable I will be happy to give it a second look.

17. Baracus

Yeah me too. If it felt like a more solid and respectful implementation I'd be more than happy to spend on it.

18. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    While in no way denying how overpriced it all is, it is a decent implementation of a great game and I'm really impressed with the AI. While certainly no match for a pro player, the fact it can even play a randomly selected batch of cards taken from the game's many hundred at all is pretty amazing to me.

19. Baracus

#59 Baracus, Jul 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
    I've only played the base set and going through that campaign but yea the AI does seem very good. I guess it's like a neural network based AI with it being server based, so it can learn from all the games it's played in the past?

Would love to play the expansions. I own the real "printed" base set too and it's definitely my favourite card game for its simplicity, purity and many viable strategies/harmonies. But I never get to sit with friends and play this stuff! Dunno why I bother buying real board games any more but I can't help myself :)

So basically I would prefer to play the Dominion add-ons on tablet but the app just feels a bit clunky and cheap to me compared to Playdek or whatever other high quality interfaces we know are possible and much more enjoyable to use. No care for the platform. I do also get a number of random lockups (which may or may not be my crappy internet here). But seems off target for throwing that much cash at it, to me.

Let's see if it finally settles into capable hands this next time around the code block! :)

If they can package it as premium product then I will pay the prices they ask no prob (like £80 for everything?)