Universal DomiNations! (by NEXON M Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Shado_8t, Dec 23, 2014.

1. tornadogaming

tornadogaming Active Member

Feb 28, 2015
    For anyone who might be curious, here's our review of DomiNations

2. Speaker

Speaker Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Game looks very nice and gameplay is slightly different from other CoC clones. Most noticeable addition is that you can pick a nation and build several wonders that both grant different bonuses, so you can shape the game to your preferred style (better/more troops, faster resource generation, faster research, etc). However, once you pick a nation and build the wonders of your choosing you cannot change your mind and the other options go away, apparently for good. And since you can't reset the game, you'll pretty soon start wondering what if you had chosen another nation or built others wonders. This kind of doubting totally kills the fun. Reading the forums and putting together scarce bits of information only to discover you've made the wrong choice, and that you're stuck with it, makes no sense in a game.

3. SwipeNova

SwipeNova Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Not sure.. Have not played many strategy games on iOS yet.. really should take a look though hmm

found this.. upcoming Age of Empire game for iOS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOsK-ooTZGg

4. tornadogaming

Feb 28, 2015
    Speaker - this model of having different nations to choose from is straight from the Civilization game model.
    In the case of Civ / Civ 2, the fact that there were different nations was a reason to play the game again, not a deterrent.
    I'm sure that's what they are trying to capture again here

5. Speaker

Speaker Member

Jul 31, 2014
    #25 Speaker, Apr 6, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
    Tornadogaming, normally I would agree with you but in this case: you cannot reset the game to start over and in the FAQ they also mention that you can only play one game per device (it's how the game was designed). So from all the options out there you can only try/play one. Ever.

Also the options are quite poorly described and some of the effects are amplified once you start developing so you don't even fully understand your choices until later in the game. A rather dumb design philosophy, other than that the game is great. Unfortunately I uninstalled it.

6. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Love this game..

Wish that Age of Empires was out for ios from MS

7. Game.PN

Game.PN Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2013
    Going to the prison called "School"
    Earth,Milky Way
    They should increase the attack range of the town hall (Japanese Nation)

8. tornadogaming

Feb 28, 2015
    Looks like you're not the only one who has expressed their frustration at this.In the Q&A video below, Tim Train says they will be releasing the ability to change nations/wonders.

9. veryggyy

veryggyy Active Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Need the function . I want to visit someone's village before reveng
    It's very important for me .#

10. Wrath

Wrath Well-Known Member

May 26, 2011
    Seattle
    Have not installed it yet - but it looks pretty cool. Is the attacking/being attacked by others a mandatory part of the game?

11. hitmantb

hitmantb Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    #31 hitmantb, Apr 7, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
    The COC + Civilization mix is surprisingly good, top 40 grossing in the United States very quickly after launch. Should give the developer plenty of resources to keep creating new contents.

I haven't got far enough into the game but does the timer for resource harvesting take longer? With gold mine/fruit tree for example. it only takes 10 minutes to fill then you gotta harvest it. Does it become more in-line with COC's resource production later in the game? As in you can collect, and it takes 12 hours or more to be filled up again. I really can't stand games that forces you to constantly log in to max out your production.

Also when does PVP open up? I guess after you choose a nation?

I am going to choose between this and Dawn of Titans. I could never get into any of the civilization games despite their greatness, but COC + Civilization makes it much much easier to get into!

12. Boobi

Boobi Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Earning money
    BC, Canada
    Started playing this game and loving it, there is something to do all the time. Really enjoying the different civilizations aspects. I choose Romans but friend choose Greek due to their horses and looks. I also love the aesthetics of Japanese models. This has proven to be a really great alternative choice to the plethora of C&C clones.

13. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Only started playing today after seeing all of the hype and being a lover of old age of empires games. I'm intrigued to play more that's for sure.

One thing I do know is I like to play defensive and have the best defence possible when given a choice. Any advice for me on some of the choices? Looking at some wonders in torn between them, haven't had the choice of choosing a faction yet though.

14. Cool_Roxas

Cool_Roxas Active Member

Mar 25, 2011
    If you are playing defensive then definitely pick Acropolis. It fastens the spawning rate of nearby garrisons. Very useful when you are being raided. For nation, choose Japanese. They have longer peace period and it is the only nation which Town Hall can attack. With these two combined opponents will think twice when raiding you. I never regret picking these both myself as I was very rarely being raided 100% :)

15. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    #35 ste86uk, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
    I did read them all and was tempted by Chinese also but went with Japan, although I wish the British buff wasn't so rubbish for me as Id prefer to be my own country.

As for the wonder I still haven't built one yet but the Acropolis does sound like a good one. Just upgrading to the next age now for 16k gold but my noob shield runs out in 10 hours too.

Can people steal my food and gold shipments? I have a fair few in my base because I keep maxing out my things to order them but not needing the resources yet so just make shipments.

16. Cool_Roxas

Cool_Roxas Active Member

Mar 25, 2011
    If you mean caravans I don't think they can steal from them. They can steal from houses, farms, mills, and markets. I believe there might be some more but I'm not sure. You lose 50% resources stored in farms and other resource generators but only 25% of what stored in mills and markets. So it is better to check in once in a while and collect all those resources.

17. NitroFatez

NitroFatez Member

May 8, 2012
    Student
    kept on getting the network connection error and i can't even try the game haish

18. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    Thanks for the tips and info. It's pretty tough designing the base to link as much to the roads as you can and also keep the things you want protected as close to as many defence towers as possible. At the minute my base is just kind of plonked there.

So I see on my building list so far it goes up to the gunpowder age for showing what will be available. Does it go higher than that?

19. tornadogaming

Feb 28, 2015
    Sounds like you're getting stuck right into the game.
    We chose the Japanese nation and the Stonehenge wonder.
    Thought you might like find some base design inspiration from a couple of our videos. Our primary aim is to protect our resources.

20. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    I'll try check those out later and ouch got hit twice. Once I won somehow and the second time lost but all of my shipments vanished so I assume they can be stolen.

You know when you trade at a mill or market for a good or gold shipment, I had about 10 of those around my base waiting to be used as I didn't need them yet but all gone now.