iPad Dominate -- Logic Game Featured on Appstore

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by anduril_ukr, May 1, 2009.

1. anduril_ukr

anduril_ukr Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Student
    New Jersey
    Wow. I'm glad I found this. Looks like a very good game, in which you have to figure out the layout of dominos (you can see each half of every domino, but do not know where they connect). You do this by using logic, as there as to be one of every kind of domino. Looks very good.

App store link

App store description:
    Screenshots:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gscal

gscal Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    He is not a dev.

3. APPyhourreviews

APPyhourreviews Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    i dont know. Looks a little too stressful for me. I dont really like logic that much, but it can be fun.

4. anduril_ukr

anduril_ukr Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Student
    New Jersey
    Well, I really enjoy logic games such as sudoku. I think I may give this a try

5. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Wow, it looks like my kind of game.

I wonder if there is a list that shows the available tiles and which ones you've already selected and which ones you need. Even though you highlight them in pairs it doesn't look like they have an outline to show how they are paired.

6. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    #6 spmwinkel, May 1, 2009
    Last edited: May 1, 2009
    You have to look REALLY closely at the screenshots, they do show how the tiles are paired. Look at the second screenshot:
    The 0-6 has a black line between the 0 and the 6, they are one tile. Below the 0 and the 6 is a blue line (it's a bit wider than the black line), so that seperates tiles. The two tiles below that are 2-1 and 6-2. I agree that some popup screen with the tiles that have been used already, would be nice, if it isn't included already.

Price is $1,99 by the way.

Edit - here is an enlarged screenshot so you can see it more clearly. Click on it to enlarge the thumbnail.

Attached Files:

7. Crypton

Crypton Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Germany
    #7 Crypton, May 3, 2009
    Last edited: May 3, 2009
    Awsome Hint System!

Yes, when you touch the pause button all available Dominos are shown and those which are already marked, are darkend.

I bought it and don't regret it! :D
    Its an awsome logic puzzle/pattern recognition game.
    And it has the best hint system i've ever seen in a puzzle game, period!
    This is because when using a hint, not only are your presented with the hint, but with the logic why this is a hint! You don't have to guess why this domino is exactly at that place, but you are told the why's and because's!
    Together with the good tutorial and the hint system one can grasp the game's logic easily.
    I've played completed about three games. Each of them took me 20 to 30 min.
    About 5 games I had to forsake, because I had overseen some possible doubles in the beginning. This was bad, because Dominate does not have an undo feature (currently; the dev already mentioned in iTunes, that this will come in an update).
    Another (small) drawback is the color with which not-possible-tiles are marked. It's currently (dark) blue and nearly not visible (see the pics from spmwinkel), this will also be chaned by an update.

Overall: If you like puzzles, you should keep an eye on this one! 5 Stars easily!

EDIT: You can see two hints in the attached pics 1 and 3, pic 2 shows the results of the hint in pic 1.

Attached Files:

8. mlkaufman

mlkaufman Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    2 Questions:

1) Does the game save your state when the program exits?
    2) Can you listen to your own music while playing?

Thanks, Michael

9. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    good questions !

when the answer to those is yes i'm sold ! :)

10. mlkaufman

mlkaufman Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    I decided to TOFTT and purchased it myself.

The answer to both questions is yes. You can play your own music, and it does save and restore your state.

Michael

11. Wroth

Wroth Member

May 3, 2009
    Designer/Programmer
    Guisborough
    I've been playing this game for ages on Puzzlemaniak. It's one of the 20 games on it. This has slightly better graphics though.

12. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Just bought Dominate for $1.99. That means it will drop to $0.99 tomorrow morning and the dev will come into this thread to offer 50 promo codes :p

13. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    **Comedy Gold**

14. PhagoCychotic

PhagoCychotic Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Despite that...non event...is the game worth buying?

15. GatorDeb

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    I should have prefaced the previous comment saying that I have been eyeing this game for weeks and obsessing over it and I finally caved in and got it.

I've played through once and I loved the beginning but once I had a few pieces left I started guessing and that ruined the experience. I'll have to play a few more times.

16. GatorDeb

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    #17 GatorDeb, May 28, 2009
    Last edited: May 28, 2009
    I've since played the game a bit, and my best time is 4 and a half minutes or so. There is some strategy involved although there are could be multiple solutions per board. But I don't have to guess anymore to solve it.

Some things I would like:
    * Show the outline of which dominoes halves are linked, that way you don't have to pause it all the time to check another screen. Right now it just shades them. It's annoying.
    * Add stats for your best time (right now it's just percentages of a target time).
    * Maybe have the tutorial info in a scrollable help file as opposed to just a basic game you play through.
    * Have a reset button.
    * Have a try-it-out mode. Start it, try out some stuff, click a button to either make your moves stick or go back to the beginning of the try-it-out-mode.

Something that allowed me to get better fast was getting a hint each step. I had crazy high times for a couple of games but learned a lot.

Can't remember the name right now but the logic reminds me of that game where you figure out five rows of numbers/letters/dice/shapes/etc. Lots of fun. I've gotten my two bucks out of it, and I've played it a lot more than some games I've payed a lot more for. Highly recommended.

I've invited the dev to the thread.