Universal Dojo Slash (pixel art, hack and slash)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Groquest, Nov 8, 2014.

1. jn2002dk

jn2002dk Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Denmark
    My best score so far

[​IMG]

2. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Holy crap! ^ Nice!

3. jn2002dk

May 22, 2009
    Denmark
    Thank you
    Took almost 15 minutes and i got some very good upgrade choices on that run

Did it with the sabre, not really sure what to upgrade to next

4. Groquest

Groquest Active Member

Oct 29, 2014
    Indie game developer
    KineticBlur // Coin doubler sounds like a good idea for an IAP. I might as well add it in the next update. Thanks for the suggestion.
    jn2002dk // That's a pretty sick score right there!

5. Anotherkellydown

I'm going out on a limb here, but what are your thoughts on adding achievements in a future update?

6. listege

listege Member

Oct 22, 2012
    Game Impressions

Great game! I love your graphic style.
    I think it'll be better if there are some interesting achievements.

7. Groquest

Groquest Active Member

Oct 29, 2014
    Indie game developer
    Anotherkellydown, listege // Actually, achievements and mini quests were planned features. I had to drop them, however, because I wanted to finish the game quickly and release it. I do have future plans to implement the features.
    Thanks for asking.

8. gamecoder

gamecoder Active Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Male
    USA
    What exactly does hitting the gong do? I've been playing for a few days now and really been enjoying it. Just noticed that hitting the gong seems to bring more enemies and sometimes a stronger unit than normal. Just curious how it works.

9. Groquest

Groquest Active Member

Oct 29, 2014
    Indie game developer
    Your observation is correct. Hitting the gong immediately spawns the ninjas remaining in the wave. And they are usually stronger.

10. Groquest

Groquest Active Member

Oct 29, 2014
    Indie game developer
    It has been five days since the release.
    I'd love to hear your thoughts on the game's difficulty, weapon balance, your favorite skill tree, etc..

11. jn2002dk

May 22, 2009
    Denmark
    #31 jn2002dk, Nov 12, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
    I usually go for 4-5 hearts + 1 regen and the rest in combo slash/move speed and recovery unless i pick the ice skating black one in which case i go for range and recovery

I'm having a tough time deciding on what weapon upgrade to get after the sabre. Currently sitting on almost 10000 coins but the extra range from sabre is really really good imo. I'll probably end up getting unlimited throwing first simply because it's the most expensive option and check the other options later on

The difficulty balance is great in my opinion. Every time i get hit i can attribute it to either a mistake i made or a poor build. I never feel it's random in any way

Extremely fun game, well done

12. gamecoder

gamecoder Active Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Male
    USA
    I think the difficulty seems right. I just got the sabre yesterday (so yeah I'm still fairly early on compared to some, my top score is only about 18k) and sometimes I will die fairly quickly, but that's because it's only got one heart to start with. My usual order of skills has usually been to get 1 more damage at least so I'm ready for the blue guys. Then after that some hearts. After that I like the magnet, combo, and range improvements.

The weapons all seem pretty interesting and different, I'm not sure what I'm going to do after the sabre. All in all I think this has been a great game. I'd love to see more environments, weapons, enemies, abilities, etc. I also thought maybe different costumes for your character may be cool. Mini quests sound good too.

One thing I have noticed is that when I get the skill to blink to a different location after getting hit, I often have some trouble figuring out where my guy is. Maybe some sort of quick highlight of the character after you blink so you know where you are. But maybe that difficulty is just part of that skill, so no big deal, just a thought.

One last idea, I think having something like different themes could be cool. Where you'd choose maybe a futuristic or medieval theme at the start and then play in a particular environment and have all the enemies and stuff be themed. Possibility some unique stuff, but mostly just re-skinning. That'd probably be for a farther-down-the-line update if anything.

13. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Difficulty is perfect to me, as well.

My thoughts too, about getting lost a bit for a short but precious moment.

Looks like most players are going with the sabre, so do i. Now i'm saving up for the shuriken. Since we have a new release day, it might take a few days.
    I get back here once i bought them, hopefully with a new highscore (for me).

14. Groquest

Groquest Active Member

Oct 29, 2014
    Indie game developer
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Qwertz555, jn2002dk // The shuriken is a ranged weapon, and it is currently not balanced very well. I advise against saving all your gold for buying it. If you already did, don't worry. I'll address this in the next update.

gamecoder // More themes, more enemies, and more playable characters is always good. Sadly, it requires more art assets and more sounds which are hard to deal with as a solo developer. But thanks for suggesting. I will try to add a couple of new weapons, instead. And I will increase Blink skill's mini-pause time, too.

15. Neddy F

Neddy F Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Great game! Love it!

Anyway of checking our current builds stats? Either on the pause screen or level up screen? I know some of it is obvious but it would be good to see strength and speed etc...

16. Groquest

Groquest Active Member

Oct 29, 2014
    Indie game developer
    Thanks, Neddy F! I'm glad you're enjoying it.
    I will implement stat checking in the next update.

17. Rocka

Rocka Member

Oct 18, 2014
    I've been enjoying this every time i picked it up... but also, every time i end a run it crashes. Just lettin' you know. I'm on a 4, with 7.

Anyway, game's great! Dig the style, the pace and the narrator of course!

18. predator8u

predator8u Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Great skill based game similar to, Only One and Ninjin. Bought the IAP for no ads because you've earned it. More skills and weapons would always be nice but it still rocks without.

My High score is 35360

19. Anotherkellydown

Just wanted to pop back in and say hi. I find myself coming back to this more than any other game lately, and I have a LOT of them. I hope this catches on with more members here. If it's eligible for game of the week I'll surely nominate it and probably vote for it. But I think that was last week.

I can't think of any more update ideas other than what has been said already. I'm glad you're taking player feedback so openly. I'd be willing to pay for future updates or new content for Dojo Slash. I want you to do well so we can keep getting more games from you! Congrats on such a fine game!

20. Groquest

Groquest Active Member

Oct 29, 2014
    Indie game developer
    New Update!

Hi guys, I just uploaded the v1.1 update for review. It will be available a few days later. I've added a couple of new weapons, so make sure to check it out!

Rocka // I'm sorry about the crash. Apple removed the support for iPhone 4 simulator, so I couldn't test the game on it.

predator8u // Thanks for enjoying the game.

Anotherkellydown // Thanks for the kind words. I really appreciate it!