Does the new dock connector render all older accessories useless?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Greyskull, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    I'll be damned if I replace the docking device in my car. The Dock for my Yamaha receiver cost 100$ There are very expensive (and functional) apps that require equally expensive accessories.

If there is no backwards compatibility, my current Apple device will be my last. I've been concerned about this for a while; now that it's official, I feel like I've hit my tipping point.

I have an iPad camera kit which I use with my gf's iPad to transfer midi files. I had just ordered an iRig.

Argh. If they feel like changing, use some damn industry standards. Does Apple consider their customers to just get naked, roll over onto their stomachs, and open their wallets? Pay no attention to the man with the latex gloves?

Err...I need to get some sleep.

Do the new devices even have a 3.5 mm mini plug jack? I don't need more "speed" from my headphones. Recording studios do just fine with an even older microphone jack standard.

2. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Well, there is an adapter you can shell out some $$$ for

3. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I've been reading the new adaptor doesn't support video or ipod out, now I'm not exactly sure what that means but it doesn't sound very promising as far as old docks go or even new ones which might be airplay/bluetooth only.

4. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Dock? Do people still use docks? I thought they died with the PDA :rolleyes:

5. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Maybe not obsolete after all I think this idea is genius

Auris

It's just a bluetooth reciever that connects to all the old ipod/iphone docks I might try to get my hands on one myself because as a bonus it would make Android devices work as well.

I actually think this is the best idea I've seen on Kickstarter.

6. OniMitch

OniMitch Active Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Games Designer
    Oxford, UK
    The new Adaptor does support audio but it doesn't support video.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD823ZM/A/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter?fnode=48

7. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I've been looking into bluetooth a lot lately I think I might buy one of the Samsung physical music docks though, they do unfortunately have the 30 pin connector but they also have Bluetooth and a MicroUSB connector.

This is the favourite in the running the Samsung DA-E550

[​IMG]

Theoretical at least I could have my iPod and Galaxy both charging and connected at once so it could have really been made for me. Plus should also work with my Vita and Laptop through Bluetooth.

I do still want a few of those Auris dongles as well though I can see them being huge sellers at they basically save all the old music docks.