Universal Does Not Commute (by Mediocre AB)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Apr 22, 2015.

1. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    Totally agree about random mode not making sense. The people asking for that probably just haven't played the game enough to understand what the skill part of the game is. Sure there's a driving skill aspect, but the main challenge IMO is based on trial-and-error and puzzle solving, based on learning through repeat play throughs what's going to come next, and planning your earlier routes so they won't interfere with your later routes. If every play through was randomly generated you would never be able to learn what routes to take, so the whole puzzle aspect of the game would be completely lost, and doing well would become just a matter of luck and reflexes.

2. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    Played for a bit yesterday. Really liked what I saw. I'm wondering how many hours of fresh gameplay is packed into it?

3. Mediocre Henrik

Mediocre Henrik Active Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Game developer
    Malmö
    Hey everyone,

Thank you so much for your praise and critique and most of all thanks for playing! I want you to know that we read as much as we can and we take the feedback we get seriously. We'll need a few days to make sense of everything, but its been an amazing and exciting ride so far! I get that people want game center, we were worried that it would be too broken to make sense, considering the amount of cheating going on.. but we hear you and are considering it along with other suggestions.

By the way, have any of you found any secrets yet? This game is PACKED with easter eggs like nothing we've ever done.. :)

Thanks again, drive safe!

4. Yotsuba

Yotsuba New Member

Apr 25, 2015
    Signed up for the forums after lurking for a bit seeing the dev post. I absolutely love Does Not Commute, and love the Easter Eggs, such as Crazy Bob.

5. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Responding to other thoughts:

I would love to see achievements & completing levels with a lot of time left, for example. But if it comes I want it to be on an in-game list. The look & menu is great. The humor & photos have great peronality. I want that to be a part of the achievements. If it's a button that takes you straight to gamecenter that would be lost.

Great game!!!! Everybody buy premium!!! Don't be cheap!!! I want more & paying is our best bet for more!!!

6. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015

7. popjam5

popjam5 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2012
    this game NEEDS an endless mode. It could still incorporate the time limit, but maybe be a bit more lenient.. Just imagine the video replays that could come out of this while having 50 cars maneuvering each other maniacally and semi-strategically. It would probably captivate me for years. If it's too resource intensive, oh well. A random mode would do. Seriously, you have a winner on your hands here.

Other than that, I love the game, but there's not much need to comment on that

also, #BuyPremium

8. Zero Ehxe

Zero Ehxe Active Member

Sep 16, 2014
    Glossing over the unnecessary insulting of people whose viewpoint you don't share... We see the main game as a puzzle with carefully placed pieces they take concentration to figure out. And after playing for a couple of hours, eking out every last second of the earlier levels over and over to have any hope at all of completing level 6, we find ourselves thinking, "I'd love to just drive these cars around mindlessly for a bit."

Endless mode makes sense because the players want to keep playing and that allows them to do so. I respect your dissenting opinion.

9. bilboa

bilboa Well-Known Member

May 23, 2013
    Boston, MA, USA
    My apologies. I can see how the way I worded my comment was a bit condescending and overly general. I have no criticism of somebody simply wanting an additional game mode, where for instance you could just enjoy the driving and not think about the puzzle aspect. What I was responding to were comments like this one:

which seem to be saying it's a flaw in the game that it's not randomized, based just on a feeling as opposed to really playing the game. With the exception of some rare geniuses, there's no way most people are going to have figured out optimal routes after only one or two play throughs. So yes, I will unapologetically maintain that someone who thinks the game is flawed because it's not random has most likely missed the whole puzzle aspect of the game, which couldn't exist if the routes were randomly generated.

10. Zero Ehxe

Zero Ehxe Active Member

Sep 16, 2014
    #90 Zero Ehxe, Apr 26, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
    I don't see that he is saying that, rather that after playing each level twice (whether that's all it took to complete the game or all it took for him to become bored with it) he desired variety in things to do. An endless mode would be that something. Developers do read these threads and I see no reason to discourage a feature that doesn't have a drawback if added.

To your point that the game as we have seen and played it currently only works because it's a meticulously pre-planned puzzle style instead of arcade style: I absolutely agree. I also concede that to anyone who doesn't want the mindless part of the game, time spent developing it instead of adding more puzzle levels would be a waste for you. It's a valid point that I hope they hear.

Don't buy a game based on hype, that's how I ended up owning a collectors edition of Destiny #. But if you (anyone in general) like it a bit, I always suggest sending the developers a morning coffee's worth of your money to encourage them to improve it, however they choose to do so.

11. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    I enjoyed my initial hour with the game but I felt the practice option (unlocked on section 3 I think) ruined most of the fun in making you try the same run over and over removing a lot of the unexpected insanity - for me the best part was to run into my own cars forgetting how I took a route previously. Now I can see exactly what I did, try the different powerups, it just slows the whole game down and becomes a lot more predictable.

12. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    Achievements would make this wonderful game feel even more complete. (Unlocking game, passing each of the 8 maps, and if there is an endless mode eventually, perhaps completing certain accomplishments there would fit right in.) I felt that this was Mediocre AB quality, but something is missing to have that feeling of accomplishment.

13. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    Editors choice in the U.S. App store. Congrats!

Attached Files:

14. Mediocre Henrik

Sep 6, 2013
    Game developer
    Malmö
    Actually the initial idea for the game started out as something random/endless, but it felt kind of gimmicky.. we understand what you mean though, it is an interesting idea and we'll give it some more thought.

Regarding score there is one once you clear the last level, your score is the amount of seconds to spare you have when you win the game. Then we have ranks based on the score similar to what we did with Smash Hit.

I guess you could add a score per level but it felt a little redundant if its just going to be based on the time you already see per checkpoint.. but we'll consider that too along with GC and all that.

Thanks again everyone for interesting feedback!

PS. Turbo technology may light you on fire

15. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    That's simply not true, though. Barring any last-minute twists, once you've finished the game as it is now, that's all there is; it's entirely possible to "solve" the game, and replayability pretty much goes straight out the window at that point. Part of the whole reason the game is a real-time action affair is that the chaotic nature of the layered obstacles and powerups is supposed to involve reflexes, not just logical puzzle solving. Besides that, the game pauses to show where every new car will start and finish its run, so even with a random order in a level its not like you'd ever just be "mindlessly" reacting to a non-stop rush of randomly-positioned vehicles — you'd always be aware of upcoming potential hazards, just as you are now.

Now, the developers could add a "random mode" and "endless mode" on top of the existing "puzzle mode", or they could add a generator that let you play and share repeatable full campaigns of random seed maps as many times as you wanted to, just as you do with the current arrangement, but as it stands, once you've completed the game there's really not much reason to come back to it. At the moment, once you've mastered the final map the only real option you're left with is to come up with less efficient routes, which makes no sense and won't keep people playing.

It really is a relatively minor request that would add a considerable amount of replayability, and given how good every other aspect of the game is, it'd be a shame if the playerbase just fell away because the game literally offered no reason to keep playing after a certain point.

16. speetz

speetz Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2013
    #96 speetz, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
    Genius imo. I can't get past the third level yet but am making progress, like I just unlocked the armored car upgrade. I have got the to second boat but I may need a little better on lvl two or I just need to grab certain time ups that I don't see or at more efficient times. This and dv2 have my casual gaming going hard!!! Good week now what when I am limited to a 4s?

17. JayZX

JayZX Member

Apr 23, 2015
    Writer
    Secret
    I really want to know, if it has multiplayer mode?

18. speetz

speetz Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Seems like a lot of you are taking this a bit seriously; I find the fun in the crazy crashes and fun things I can do with the cars etc. yeah the power up I haven't got that shows old routes? That could be done away with, or altered to maintain the craziness

and to have randomly generated routes, it would kind of be like procedurally generated levels in games. They are random mixtures from ingredients from this route and that one or sets and orders. Zit would be damn complicated but considering a lot of you would like it I bet it could get some support. Most peopl like myself play casually or play multiple games (more so me) and don't totally destroy and nit pick a game ASAP. Besides RPGs. I min/max. There was a reason I was a raid team leader in second highest guild in wow and 2600 rated rogues 1-2nd tier into cata when rogues sucked (shameless gloating since I'm broke and depressed among other things) but these are small teams not blizzard. Let's cut them some slack. Great gMe imo!!!!

19. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Just keep it up and make it to stage 3 (4th map in the game, cause 1st one is called tutorial), and when you successfully navigate 7/15 car, you'll get Practice power-up and everything is easier from that point. Actually, the practice button is just priceless. As a casual gamer I appreciate it so much.

20. Mediocre Henrik

Sep 6, 2013
    Game developer
    Malmö
    Yeah I can see how those ideas would seem trivial to implement, but it would be a lot of work for us. Especially procedural content, that probably isn't even an option right now. We're just two guys at Mediocre and only so many hours in a day.. Not trying to make excuses though :) Totally respect your opinions! Definitely a lot of valid points.