Universal Does Not Commute (by Mediocre AB)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Apr 22, 2015.

1. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    fabianb, I assume it takes some time to play each map twice, not to mention you need to unlock them first. I also can't see how this gets boring with all those hilarious stories there for each character, did you even try the game? And you're right, it's highly polished game with great art and visual style, so it's easily worth those 2 bucks, isn't it? There's plenty of content for this price. I highly recommend this game, it's amazing!

2. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Yeah I did try it.

3. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    I really don't understand how much content you'd appreciate than. For the price. Some remarkable games in comparison: Monument Valley was 3,59€ with an hour of gameplay, Framed was 4,99€ with around 30 minutes, Poco Eco 2,99€ and approx.1 hour etc... You realize it's just 2€, do you? I pay more for coffee every morning in Starbucks. So being offensive and claiming the game feels like demo is just plain rude, no matter how politely you're trying to say it. Just think about it instead of complaining, could you?

4. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    So far I like it.

I'm not feeling the same love for it that others seem to be. Great presentation and good fun and there's nothing wrong with it maybe it's just not for me. I've bought the iap tho so I will keep returning to it to see if it clicks

5. fabianb

Nov 1, 2014
    #45 fabianb, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    Uh? I help a lot of devs in the upcoming games section of this forum, so no, I don't do it just to be rude. And yes, I do think games like Monument Valley and Poco Eco are too short gameplay/content wise. And yes, those games are still great. And yes, I realise it's just a bit more than a coffee.

But hey, after all, I still think this game lacks content. But hey, I provide an solution for that. And that solution is that this game could really use an randomization mode. This game almost screams for it. So yeah, that's how I think about it.

And complaining? No. It's constructive feedback.

6. icoker

icoker Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Whether complaint or not, as a purchaser (if you have bought the iap) you have perfect authortiy to complain and of course leave some prospective feedback :)

7. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    Is it just me
    But my 6+ got hot when playing this
    Almost mortal kombat hot

8. fabianb

Nov 1, 2014
    I didn't bought it yet. I'm just telling the devs what I feel is missing. It would just be a shame if 50% of the app reviews is complaining that it's too short (which is currently the case with Monument Valley).

There is still a big chance I'm buying the iap of this game since this week is not really great release wise.

9. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    I don't think it's that easy. Also, it's getting pretty hard and I'm just in the 3rd stage, random factor would make this game unplayable under current conditions. The point is, you're judging it too quickly without even trying properly. Making every stage random would probably require completely different approach and it clearly wasn't developer's intention even thouugh it's up to them to clarify.

Yeah, the problem is, he haven't bought the IAP because, by his opinion, the game lacks content. He just tried and already knows, how short the game is and that he's gonna get bored soon. That's what catched my attention in the first place.

10. orangecan

Aug 9, 2011
    Getting more into it now...... Didn't realise that the other cars on the road were my previous attempts!

11. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    I'll still play this, but Game Center leaderboards and achievements sure would be nice. Gives the game even more replayability...

12. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    I deleted the game because of the lack of GameCenter too bad.

13. Zero Ehxe

Zero Ehxe Active Member

Sep 16, 2014
    #53 Zero Ehxe, Apr 23, 2015
    I agree that the content is on the low / short side, but the point is that there is the potential and ability to expand because the base game is solid. By stage 3 or four I was driving a car off a bridge to grab an extra time token and still make it to the proper exit, all the while dodging the four wheeler and motorcycle that were jumping ramps that went over the three speedboats I sent zooming around.

And a random mode would definitely save the replayability. The different vehicles already have differing acceleration, handling, and speeds, and you have the ability to alter individual cars with buttons you unlock like better steering or armor each adding a drawback to balance it. To avoid collisions you can drive a faster vehicle through dirt or shrubs to time the lane merger better. Add more maps with random vehicles, starting points, and destinations. Collecting the time tokens adds to the playable time and the high score system just calculates how much time you earned total and how many cars you were managing. To those who have said an endless mode isn't possible would you mind explaining your point so I see what I'm missing?

14. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Given the entire chaotic premise of the game, the actual complete lack of randomness is a bit puzzling.

15. Zero Ehxe

Zero Ehxe Active Member

Sep 16, 2014
    You may not have reached the stage that unlocks the "Practice" feature which allows you to test the current vehicle without running the time down. It really helps to plan your course, see how your other vehicles may interfere, and determine which of the boosts, if any to, use.

16. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Such a feature sounds awesome, where can I find it? Do I need to unlock it first? And if so, where or when? Thanks in advance;)

17. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Keep playing through the game, the "power-ups" are unlocked in different stages. I believe this one is the fourth unlocked.

18. Zero Ehxe

Zero Ehxe Active Member

Sep 16, 2014
    #58 Zero Ehxe, Apr 23, 2015
    If you complete a previous map with a worse time it only remembers your best time. If you beat a previous best time it records it so that the next stage has the additional time but has no effect on any other stages (other than how starting a stage with more time means you'll have more at the end which will carry over to the next). For this reason once you unlock the power ups and practice you may as well start over because the extra seconds you pick up on each of the first few stages really adds up by the end.

I think the power ups and practice should be available from the start or at least once the premium is purchased. It's not a good way to force replayability in my opinion.

19. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Hope that it will be fixed in next update...

20. orangecan

Aug 9, 2011
    And I'm now officially at the loving it this is amazing stage....

I love the fact you can plan your earlier runs so they interfere as little as possible with your later ones.