Universal Does Not Commute (by Mediocre AB)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Your reactions were as fun to listen to as the game was to see in action :p That solidified my already high expectations for Does Not Commute. Definitely my most anticipated upcoming release so far this week. Thanks as always, NOEN!

2. russiaone

russiaone Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco
    Took me about 2 minutes to stop playing and buy the premium stuff. It's so damn polished. And the jazzy soundtrack is spectacular.

Be back later with some detailed impressions, but by all means SUPPORT PREMIUM GOODNESS!

3. Zero Ehxe

Zero Ehxe Active Member

Sep 16, 2014
    Even if the game isn't great now (which so far it is) buy the premium upgrade to encourage the devs to spend even more time adding content and addressing any issues you have.

How about more control on the replays? Like pan and zoom functions with the ability to rewind and slow forward rather than playing on a loop.
    And achievements to encourage outside of the box play styles. I started level 1 with 60 seconds and completed it with over 100 seconds left, no crashes and no rewinds. Sound like easy introduction trophies to me, though honestly I don't chase trophies, it's just unusual to see such a polished game that doesn't have an achievement pop up around the first few levels.

4. Zero Ehxe

Zero Ehxe Active Member

Sep 16, 2014
    Extra time coins, text, starting vehicle locations and destinations all appear fixed. It's level based rather than randomized, but if they get enough premium purchases who knows what kind of endless modes they'll introduce ##

5. redranch91

redranch91 Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2014
    I'd say it's highly replayable in a sense.I just spent an hour playing and if you don't unlock the IAP then every time the timer runs out, you'll start from scratch again and not from your last checkpoint which was quite frustrating. That's why I was like what the heck and proceeded to unlock the IAP.

Besides I love that you can decide whichever route you want to take so that in a way is where lies its true replayability value as you try to navigate to your destination without crashing into cars, collecting more time coins and to beat the clock.

As for the coins, I'm not really sure but it does appear to be sprouting out in random places.

I'd like to add that the first time I played I didn't notice there was a replay button for each zones you've completed. Thought that was super neat what with those 3 different camera angles.

I really hope the devs will add more zones in future updates as the possibilities in this game are endless. It's very cool and reminds me of a highly polished and retro version of Crazy Taxi.

6. Zero Ehxe

Zero Ehxe Active Member

Sep 16, 2014
    #26 Zero Ehxe, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    Some replay ability comes in the form of the time coins that appear off the beaten path of the first cars that you direct but only once you have moved on to directing other cars. So if you memorize where they will eventually appear you can direct the cars to collect them in the future.

7. Zero Ehxe

Zero Ehxe Active Member

Sep 16, 2014
    In-game flavor text: "Pantless driving is a one of a kind pleasure, Dr, Trevino thinks to herself as she smiles at other motorists on her way to a lunch meeting.."

You never really know what's going on in the car beside you...

8. russiaone

russiaone Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco
    Already an update. Talk about commitment to excellence.

9. Rythan

Rythan Well-Known Member

May 16, 2014
    I don't see any reason to play this since there are no leaderboards.. I loved smash hit thought!

10. Zero Ehxe

Zero Ehxe Active Member

Sep 16, 2014
    I never bother trying to beat the hacked 999999999999 score anyway.

11. CRAYTATO

CRAYTATO Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2015
    The music sure is soothing while driving like an idiot, haha.

12. L0ck

L0ck Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2015
    yeah, pretty much this.

13. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Seems good, but before I buy Premium I do have some questions.

- Is everytime you play again the placement of cars random? Or does each map have it's default placement of cars? (For example: that the police car is always starting in the same place).

- How many maps are there?

14. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Haha. Thanks AKD. I love this game. It's my favorite game of the week so far. The music, the storytelling, the 70's theme. It all just fits perfect.

15. Sexy Pirate

Sexy Pirate Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    Same here, if there's not random placement or an endless mode it's going to get old pretty fast.
    It's pretty cool as it is tho I'm having fun.

16. Mediocre Henrik

Mediocre Henrik Active Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Game developer
    Malmö
    Hi!

The starting point and destination of each car is always the same on each map. There are 8 maps, which may sound short.. but it gets hard. :) Enjoy!

/Henrik

17. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Can I drive it while I don't have the car license?:p:p

18. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Those stories for each character are hilarious! I'm actually laughing while reading them, it's priceless. I don't care if the cars' placement is random or not, I need those checkpoints to progress further and this game's easily worth its price for being premium, so I already bought it even though I made it only to third map.

I've got a question though. If my third map's starting time is only 45 seconds, do I need to finish previous map faster to get more starting time for the next map? And if so, will my starting time increase in every next stage automatically or how is this solved exactly?

19. skylined87

skylined87 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2014
    Definitely gets my vote for GOTW! Such an innovative, awesome game...I would expect nothing less from Mediocre. Lol, this game is anything but mediocre! ###

20. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Any plans for a random mode? Currently I strongly have to feeling it gets boring after playing each map twice or so. I know, I know it's a highly polished premium game, but there currently isn't enough content for me. And I'm not just buying because of the hype here. I criticise each game as much as others so I have to be fair. Sorry, but it feels more like a demo now. Good job on the art and gameplay though!