iPad Does Apple have a problem with FPS games?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vende, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    I mean, there's about 4 or 5 that I'm so excited about it but it seems they're never coming out. Is it a patent issue? Apple wanting to wait for the holidays?

Damnit, I want Quake!

2. nickels

nickels Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Web Developer / Designer
    PA, USA
    I'm sure in a few months people will be complaining that there are too many FPS games out. Patience, they're coming....

3. mek

mek Well-Known Member

im sick of fp's on the iphone....what are you talking about
    they are worse than match 3 games

4. mek

mek Well-Known Member

sawry i'm just getting ready for what i am going to say in January.....its always a good idea to practice...practice...practice

5. Slayer_megadeth

Slayer_megadeth Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Student
    India
    Screw FPS i want a fancy Sudoku :mad:

6. escapetomsfate

Nov 16, 2008
    Meh.

Gotta agree with you really - Cube's been waiting for submission for a month and a half, and quake's been waiting for about 20 ish days.

I can see why Quake might be rejected, the whole copyright thing isn't gonna please apple. Cube wants to be open source which apple are still touchy about even though they've lifted the NDA. Hill billy and zombie mansion look quite likely to actually make it, but they're still being made.

Grrr. I want an FPS.

7. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    I feel like if Apple wants to be serious about competing with DS and PSP, they have to release these FPS games, since those are so ridiculously popular on other consoles. If the ports are good, I really believe people will buy the ipod touches (maybe even switch over to iphones) just to play those, ESPECIALLY if those games are free (not sure how that's going to work out)

8. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

I can't figure out why people are excited about having an FPS game on the iPhone. Sure the perspective is good for showing off graphics, but none of the video clips so far have shown any indication that the available controls would work for that genre.

The control schemes that use screen buttons for everything work fine if the gameplay is designed with the idea that the player has the agility of a bulldozer. (i.e. Tank Duel)

Tilt to move is alright if the level design is spacious, but unless shooting at enemies is fully auto-aimed, it'll be awkward to tilt and tap at the same time.

In any case, having an FPS on the iPhone would be almost sane if the player is limited to Doom-level controls. But would that style of gameplay meet the expectations of people who are screaming for Quake?

So I remain skeptical. I'll be delighted to be proven wrong, though.

9. BATTLE BORN

BATTLE BORN Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    you're right Frand. bring on the sudoku :rolleyes:

10. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    there really aren't that many mature games (not that FPS games are all that mature anyway) on the iphone so I really believe these platforms can find a whole new audience.

Hell, if people bought the Xbox just for HALO, then I can definitely see people doing the same for these FPS games. Are there any good ones for the DS and PSP anyway?

11. Slayer_megadeth

Slayer_megadeth Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Student
    India
    I second you mate. If there aint any highly developed scheme for a FPS nothing's gonna work out. Sure they can bring out a Gamepad accessory but that surely defeats the point of a touch screen. Although i won't mind a gamepad but it should look good and it shouldn't decrease the portability of the iPod

12. Pug

Pug Active Member

Nov 17, 2008
    I second Frand as well! Hopefully we'll be pleasantly surprised..

and i agree with Slayer_Megadeth and BATTLE BORN as well: bring on some Sudoku :eek:

Greetings,
    Pug

13. PHARTGAMES

PHARTGAMES Well-Known Member

I hope they dont, mine is semi-realistic and has a ton of gore! :D

but they passed zombie attack, so they cant have an issue with blood and guts.

14. Haephestos

Haephestos Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2008
    #14 Haephestos, Nov 18, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
    I personally am a fan of the FPS genre so I am waiting eagerly for what is to come. It is possible to get the controls right but everyone will prefer a different control scheme. I prefer the scheme where look is controlled by tilt, you have a circle in the bottom right which controls movement based on where your finger is on the circle, tap that circle to jump, button on the right to fire and one to change weps, player info (health, sheilds, suit energy etc.) on the top left and a mini-map on the top right. Other schemes include onscreen buttons and accelerometer to move and look.