iPad Does anyone remember a chess game on the Apple computer...

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Mr. Charley, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Does anyone remember a chess game back on the apple computer when you took a piece down, you actually had to fight?
    If for instance it was a pawn vs. a queen, the queen had higher attributes and was tougher to "take down"..
    What was that called....
    And wouldn't that be fun on the iPhone/Touch?

2. VictorStar

VictorStar Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Was that Battle Chess? I had a Star Wars version back on the Sega CD.

3. Mr. Charley

Sep 6, 2008
    No, it wasn't actually Battle Chess, though it's totally the exact same type of game.
    Not sure if in Battle Chess, you actually battle, but in the version I'm talking about, you actualy duked it out.

I think it was on the Apple II....old school....green and black monochrome monitors...

4. Zwilnik

Zwilnik Well-Known Member

It was called Archon. Your strength in the battles changed as the game cycled between night and day, so if you were playing the armies of darkness, you had more power in the night cycle and so on.

From what I remember, the Archon series went on for quite a while after the original Apple ][ version.

5. Mr. Charley

Sep 6, 2008
    Oh yeah! Thanks so much Zwilnik. That was really bothering me.
    Wooo, I feel better now. You made my day!

Now, if they could make something along these lines (just maybe some updated graphics LOL) for the iPhone/Touch, I'd be extremely happy.

6. nickels

nickels Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Web Developer / Designer
    PA, USA
    Archon was the sh*t!

I remember hoping for a Mortal Kombat version or anything recent. That game needs a revisit big time. Nothing felt better then using a pawn piece to take out one of your opponents big guys.

7. Magnulus

Magnulus Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Student + Barista
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    A group of people actually developed something called Archon: Evolution, which was a re-make of the original C64 version of Archon. However, it suddenly halted after one or two betas. Never heard from them again. Looked really good, too.

8. nickels

Oct 15, 2008
    Web Developer / Designer
    PA, USA
    Well, I took the proactive approach and I am emailing the developer and including a link to this thread. Hopefully it will convince him to port that sucker to the iPhone. It is already written in C++, so hopefully the move to Object C or whatever is used isn't too difficult.

Maybe we'll get lucky and the dev will come here and let us know if a port is possible. If he emails me back any info I'll post it here.

Cross your fingers!

9. mek

mek Well-Known Member

i've been asking for Archon for evah!!!
    loved it on the C64

at sometime i heard EA bought the rights to it..but i can't confirm that

but ...Def. Port it to zi Iphone and ...wow

10. Mr. Charley

Sep 6, 2008
    Genious! That would be incredible to get a response and an even "wow, didn't even think about it, but since you guys showed interest, we'll do it"!

And glad to see others have the same affection to this old school gem.. :cool:

11. nickels

Oct 15, 2008
    Web Developer / Designer
    PA, USA
    The developer responded and is actually looking into the possibility of porting Archon to the iPhone. He mentioned the controls would be difficult without a joystick, so if you have any ideas now is the time to speak up.

To quote him:
    "I'd love to get Archon on to the iPhone/Touch though (I have a Touch). I'm really interested in bring A:E to the iPhone. Hmmmm...."

He then said he'd come check this thread out, so there ya go!

12. Leigh

Leigh New Member

Nov 7, 2008
    #12 Leigh, Nov 7, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
    Hi,

I'm the developer of the Archon: Evolution remake (see http://archon.curvenet.co.uk). Nickels kindly pointed me in the direction of this site.

I'm very interested in porting Archon to the iPhone/Touch (I have a Touch). I've actually been looking into options lately (I'm siding with the Unity engine at the moment), and I've acquired a Mac Mini from the office (I'm co-owner of a development company). My options: I can spend time wrapping up A:E for Windows or I can put that on hold and instead work on an iPhone version.

My one concern is that the battlefield aspect game might not translate too well to the iPhone. I can't imagine playing without a joystick tbh. Hmmm... Needs some thought...

Edit: Looks like Nickels beat me to the punch :)

13. mek

mek Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    for the chess part of the game, i would reccomend just finger swipes, or a tap touch control like the ichess game

[​IMG]
    for the live action
    this is where it gets tricky and a joystick would be good

would acceleromter for movement work? and tap to fire? or the dreaded overlay buttons to mimic the controls of a joystick?
    or dragging the finger, like a two finger drag to move the character, and a finger tap to fire? but in what direction?

[​IMG]

14. lynch

lynch Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2008
    California
    I LOVE ARCHON - C64 FTW

but doesn't EA own it?

15. lynch

lynch Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2008
    California
    the unity enginge, wow...a 3d archon would be amazing
    but just having archon on the iphone would be enough
    please work on this
    that is my vote
    i know a few people who would jump @ buying this

16. Mr. Charley

Sep 6, 2008
    @ Leigh
    Thanks so much for joining this thread. As I mentioned earlier, I'd be beyond excited for this old-school gem.

@ nickels
    Awesome to bring in the developer...

In terms of the chess part, my opinion/suggestion is simple tapping. Tap the piece, and tap the spot on the board you want the piece to go. Maybe a double-tap just to confirm the move or something like that (kind of like leaving your finger on a piece before commiting to the move)...
    As for the battle...well, that's why they pay you the big bucks! Or that's why you'll get the big bucks when this game sells! :)
    In all seriousness, that's a tough question....I might have to sleep on that one. I got nothing for you at this time.

@ mek
    Interesting possibilities.
    Accelorometer might work, but the controls really need to be spot on.

Anyways, I'm just excited that it's being considered for the iPhone/Touch.

Forget windows....iPhone/Touch is where it's at!! :)

17. lynch

lynch Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2008
    California
    Agreed

with almost 40 million capable devices, [heard that projection the other day, but at least we know there are 12 million iphones and 8 million touches..so maybe 40 million combined by the end of 09?] 50% of those have access to the app store

the ability to deliver patches and upgrades easily,

the app store is where it is at, and the people need Archon

18. Leigh

Leigh New Member

Nov 7, 2008
    #18 Leigh, Nov 8, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
    Jon Freeman does. I've spoken with him on numerous occasions (although not recently) and he's very helpful. He even sent me key portions of the original 8-bit C code! He's a top guy, and he's as interested as we are in seeing Archon resurface (and, ideally, making him some money).

For the battles, do you think that the following might work:

1. You tap the screen and your icon will move to the indicated point.
    2. You swipe/slide your finger in the direction you want to fire in.

Or would dragging the icon around (movement) with a single tap to fire potentially work better (as suggested a little higher up).

Personally, I don't think the Accelorometer will work, but I could be wrong. I'm open to suggestions.

If we can settle on something that could work, I might knock up a little (basic) test app.

19. mek

mek Well-Known Member

that sounds like it will work

i'm excited

will it be upgraded graphics? with the ability to still play the retro 8 bit version for nostalgia reasons

20. Mr. Charley

Sep 6, 2008
    Sounds plausible and realistic.
    This is getting more exciting with every new post..oooh the possibilities!!