Does anyone have the MBP (late 2008)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Wegmans, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    Because I'd like to rave about the graphics card a little! It can run Farcry2 maxed out at like 1152xwhatever with everything on Extra high or High with DX10! the game looks amazing and I'm wondering if anyone else plays Windows games on their MBP..?

2. Fazzy

Fazzy Well-Known Member

I just got one, but that left me broke... Gotta save up for the games...
    And if anyone's wondering what the MBP is, Macbook Pro.

3. matt

matt Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Blogger/Student/Public Relations
    Collins,GA
    #3 matt, Nov 30, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
    I am on the old white Macbook, sadly the only games I can play are World of Goo and Spore with medium settings of course.

4. networkman

networkman Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2008
    toronto, canada
    Prefer the MacBook AIR w/ssd drive.

It's my MacNetBook.

:D

[​IMG]

5. JuncoPartner

JuncoPartner Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2008
    Developer, Redwind Software
    Dublin, Ireland
    I have both the Air with SSD and the high end MBP :)
    I actually had hopes of playing some WOW on the Air when I got it but sadly that just ain't happening. Aside from that though I have to say the Air is an awesome machine, so much better than people give it credit for. There are two things though I will say about it.
    1) The Airport card in it is basically ruined by the aluminium cladding. At home on my personal network I have no issues, but I have had plenty of issues on other networks with the signal just not being strong enough. Using my partners old white plastic macbook on the same networks worked perfectly.
    2) It can get crazy hot. And to be fair I dont think that is actually an issue anymore since one of the more recent updates. Or maybe I just amn't using it as much since I got my MBP.

The MBP for what its worth runs WOW like a dream, better than any machine I've played it on. I have a 17inch iMac Core 2 Duo that ran it reasonably well. And my previous laptop a €4k Dell was good in it's day but nothing compared to my MBP.
    Though to be truthful I have 2 issues with my MBP.
    1) It does get insanely hot, to the point where it can be very incomfortable to work on and touch.
    2) I guess as a result of above the fan noise from time to time is completely ridiculous. This only seems to happen when I am working in my virtual machine (Win2k3) on visual studio. And again since I applied the latest visual studio patches last week I havent noticed the fan noise anymore.

6. matt

matt Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Blogger/Student/Public Relations
    Collins,GA
    Boy my Macbook can get hot. The fans usually cut on when its sitting idle on my bed. The thing can get pretty annoying with the heat but it is nothing compared to Vista.

I had Vista installed in Bootcamp and the fans never turned off. With that the general badness of Vista I just deleted the partition.

7. abbad0n

abbad0n Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2008
    For heat I put in smcFanControl on my new (and old 17 incher) MBP. Now if I have heat issues I just raise the fan to a higher setting (you can create your own settings for battery power, AC, and charging) and that's it. Of course that doesn't help if you're running off of Bootcamp, but when running a VM it makes things much better.

8. JuncoPartner

JuncoPartner Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2008
    Developer, Redwind Software
    Dublin, Ireland
    Downloaded smcFanControl this morning and kicked the fans up to 5500rpm and its made a huge difference. Cheers for the tip

9. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    Thank you very much for your suggestion! This is great when watching HiDef shows, as well as just keeping the temp down!

PS I'm still loving FarCry2!