Does a paid game with IAPs affect your decision to try it?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by RodGreen, Aug 15, 2012.

?

Does a paid game with IAPs affect your decision to try it?

1. Yes! I refuse to pay for a game that has any IAPs

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  2. Maybe, I worry the game wont be complete without buying the IAPs

24 vote(s)
    55.8%
  3. Maybe, depends on the price of the game

6 vote(s)
    14.0%
  4. No, I don't have to pay for the IAPs if I don't want to

10 vote(s)
    23.3%
  1. RodGreen

RodGreen Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2012
    #1 RodGreen, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
    Hey guys, just curious how much of an affect IAPs (in-app purchases) have on paid games.

2. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Voted for number 2. The option 4 is pretty weird though. You can't simply decide that you won't buy IAPs before you even download a game (because IAPs are necessary in some games). Option 4 should be more like: "No. I don't mind IAPs in paid apps" or something like that.

3. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    I really think people need to be specific about what KIND of IAP is in the game. If it's just some sort of cheat feature that's one thing, if you have to buy the second half of the game it's another.

4. RodGreen

Mar 1, 2012
    Well i thought that was covered with option 2? I mean there's the extremes right.... like "hell no!" and "hell yes!" - so if you really don't care (i.e. yes you would buy regardless) I assume that's because you don't feel like IAPs are something you have to consider or worry about? Not that you wont buy but there's nothing that forces you to pay for it.

If you did then it would be a maybe?

Otherwise you're experience might be different whereby in the past you've been burnt.. so that would then put you into a maybe.

5. RodGreen

Mar 1, 2012
    That's a good point. But as it stands there's no way to define a 'type' of IAP. You can as users see the description of the game - however I don't think most people take the time?

Anyone know if I can I edit the poll in anyway?

6. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    No its good. This poll only asks if you get turned away when seeing a paid game with IAPs, but perhaps you could say how much the game costs.

7. Varking

Varking Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Stand Up Comedian
    North Carolina
    Option 2. Always depends on what the iaps, are.

8. koyut

koyut Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    I buy IAP expansion packs if it adds extra value to the game. Like IAP of Ascension, Galaxy on Fire and others.

I will never buy cheat IAP and IAP credits.

9. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    LOL, considering the initial question, it almost sounds like you prefer the IAP you have to buy and seek out games that are only half there at purchase. The question is about initially buying a game, not about whether you are a sucker for the IAP afterwards.

10. koyut

koyut Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    My bad, I should rephrase my answer. :eek:

Games that have IAPs make me think twice before choosing to purchase the game. :)

11. shero89

shero89 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2012
    Voted for option 2 as mentioned I buy expansion packs for games like Ascension but I never buy consumables and I rarely play freemiums from companies like Gamevil or Come2us and Gameloft is going down the same road

12. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    It seems like every new game now has IAP's available. If you wouldn't buy a game because it has IAP, you probably wouldn't be buying many games.
    I'm personally not a fan of games that you pay for then hit a "paywall". I think in a paid game IAP should really not be forced on you.
    That said, some forum members have complained about IAP being necissary in games that I've found more than easy to beat.

No matter what, people are going to complain as soon as they see IAPs in your game.

13. Eoghann

Eoghann Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    IT Guy/Graphic Designer/Gamer
    New York
    I think that either it's:

- paid and provides a full experience,
    - paid and provides a full experience, with optional IAP DLC (level pack, perks, costumes, etc)
    - free with IAP unlockable content
    - free and unlock everything else by grinding or IAP for the alternate currency.

If a paid app has IAP, it should be to facilitate the impatient player's progress, not serve as a wall that blocks the player from enjoying the game till the end.

14. RodGreen

Mar 1, 2012
    So we have used for Brainsss
    - paid and provides a full experience, with optional IAP Cheats

Nothing is blocked and you earn currency to spend on Cheats if you wish.
    However if you're impatient and want to just cheat you can buy some currency and spend at your whim. However at no point do we tell you that and or encourage buying IAP.

so maybe some people think we might be?

- paid and unlock everything else by grinding or IAP for the alternate currency. :mad::mad::mad:

15. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Pay to unlock cheats is one thing. But pay for consumable in game currency will usually steer me away from a game without even bothering to investigate what the currency is used for. That system is used by some of the worst games on the AppStore, so it's not worth my time to determine if a game with consumable currency IAP is not terrible. I just pass over them usually.

16. Eoghann

Eoghann Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    IT Guy/Graphic Designer/Gamer
    New York

I haven't had the chance to play your game. But from what you said that seems like the ideal system for a paid app. :)

Providing the cheats aren't worth exorbitant amounts each that is, requiring many, many hours of grinding. Take Agent Dash for example; fun game, and on a decent run you can get like 300 - 500 gems on average. Yet if you want to unlock a costume/character (there are like 6 or 7), they are worth around 12,000 - 20,000 gems each! You'd have to play at least 50 good runs to unlock a single character. Plus power ups and upgrades......it pretty much forces you to consider IAP if you really wanna get far in the game. Grinding is ok to some extent, but if it requires the user to grind for days on end to get a single item, then grind, grind, grind some more to unlock the next item, well that's just a mean and greedy system. xD

17. Filing Cabinet

Filing Cabinet Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2011
    IAPs themselves don't bother me, almost every game I play these days has it in some form or the other.

The real problem and personally something I hate (which is why I can never play most freemium games) is when games are modified to be heavily reliant on the IAP (wait timers, content blocked off etc). In a already paid game this is unforgivable, i would rather have a game cost a couple of bucks more than putting these tricks in. (don't even want to start on consumable IAP)

18. shero89

shero89 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2012
    I've mentioned this before but I'm willing to pay a premium price for a game instead of being free or a dollar and full of IAP's and a good example on that is Dead Trigger I would've gladly paid 6 or 7 dollars instead of a dollar and what did we get in the end ? a game that has gone freemium

19. nfong

nfong Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Pretty much choices 2 and 3. I dislike consumables (though I try to bare with them as long as the gameplay is balanced), but don't mind cosmetic stuff to support the devs at all.
    But if a game is around the premium price point for iOS (I'd say 6.99 USD) and it has consumables, I probably won't be buying that game. I figure if I spend that much $$ on a game, the devs ought to give me a full experience without any consumable nonsense. Still fine with cosmetic IAP, though, at premium pricing.

In short: cosmetics are always fine, consumables are fine if gameplay is balanced/game is in a lower price range.

20. badkitty

badkitty New Member

Aug 16, 2012
    I voted for option 1 because at this point, I would rather not support IAPs. I would rather pay more for a game upfront and have a fuller, richer gaming experience that has been more fully developed than a game that, without purchasing its IA currency, one has to be grinding, etc. Games used to be made without IAPs and I reckon if enough people hate them as much as I have grown to, :D maybe one day the devs will get rid of them for good. I can dream, can't I? ;)