Universal DoDonPachi Resurrection HD (by CAVE)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Mar 14, 2012.

1. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    So this is the sale price right? Cave games typically come with an intro sale, and i would expect this is the sale price.

2. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    If you look at the AppShopper page for Espgaluda II HD, the normal price is $14, so the current price of $11 is the sale price. I assume the same is true of DoDonPachi Resurrection HD. If you're willing to wait a few months, I also think it's likely that it will fall to a lower price at some future point in time.

3. SuperWeird

SuperWeird Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    So awesome to finally be able to play a Cave game on my iPhone 4S that doesn't look like crap.

They need to release an HD version of DeathSmiles next (w/o the annoying ads on the menu screen).

4. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I have tried the HD lite version on my iphone4 and, while playable, the SD version is much smoother. The fact is that level 1 is not bullet-intense, so probably the later levels will suffer much more slowdowns. Therefore, I'll stick to the SD version which I already own.

5. japtor

japtor Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Could just be a difference in frame rate tolerance, it's definitely a big difference from the iPhone version. I'm going back to the iPhone one, the lower fps was getting annoying with more bullets on screen. I'm playing on hard which puts out more bullets but I'm not sure how much of a difference that's making.

Espgaluda II HD seemed a bit better, not sure if it's just slightly higher or just more consistent, but it felt more tolerable.
    Yeah if that's the only thing you'll be playing on you might as well hold off until you get a newer device.
    Espgaluda II HD has gone on sale a few times, but only down to the same $11. The regular iPhone ones down to $5 but that's about it (well, other than $4 for the separate arcade/phone versions of Espgaluda).

6. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    #46 metalcasket, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
    I'm giving the Lite version a download right now, but by the looks of things (going by the comments so far), it seems like it's pointless. Hey, at least I'll be able to see what a CAVE shmup looks like in retina.

*crosses fingers* Please be ugly, please be ugly, please be ugly. >_>

EDIT: Wow, what a world of difference...and I don't mean the visuals. :/ If this is your first forray into the world of CAVE, it may seem alright. Compared to the SD version however, it's practically unplayable on an iPhone 4. I shudder to think how bad it would be on a harder difficulty. If all you have is an iPhone 4, it's not worth it...even if you don't already own the SD version. Hell, lemme just put this here...

If you don't already own DDPR, are thinking of buying it and only own an iPhone 4, do yourself a favor and don't buy the HD version...BUY THE REGULAR VERSION!

7. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    also tried and it looks great but sd version plays better. another point it that new version probably has own gc leaderboard which is not that nice and would be great if cave could maybe make retina updates as iap in original games too.

8. phrenik

phrenik Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Nurse
    City of Coffee
    Question for those that have this this, DoDonPachi Res. HD [or the regular vers.] and Esp. II Hd.

I have read the reviews, and tried the previous dodonpachi lite version as well as the espgaluda hd lite [I only have an ipad 2, updated ios 5.1]. And I feel torn as to which version to purchase. I do like the characters and the way that each character reps. a different way of attacking in Esp.2 hd vs a single ship + and choosing the way to attack in ddp res.

I am kind of mid ground in terms of a shmup fan [I do have shogun and some others] I was wondering if there is a greater reason to go one way vs the other. To be honest I am hesitant to drop 11$+ for a single game on the Ios platform as great as it may be. Including that money is slightly tight in terms of budget allocation. Any push towards one of the other would be helpful. Thank you for your time.

9. japtor

japtor Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Little correction on the ships in DDP: there are three ships + three modes. The modes do make a difference but I don't remember all the details, other than Power (iirc) builds the hyper meter the fastest.

As for which game, just pick whichever you like better, they play differently but they're both good. Sounds like you already have a preference for Espgaluda's characters so maybe just go with that. You can save a few bucks if you don't care for one mode (arcade/smartphone) or the other, the individual versions are $7.

If you want to get into gameplay mechanics I guess the main thing is how much you like the gameplay of the awakening mode in Espgaluda vs the hyper mode in DDP, and/or the gameplay of the smartphone modes which I never put much time into. Espgaluda's direct touch awakening mode vs DDP's S/M meter thing and hyper cannon I guess.

10. killwhitey

killwhitey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    I didn't see the openfeint bar on the ddpr hd splash screen :)

And yeah so excited about espgaluda hd going universal too! Hi-res goodness on my iPhone. I have to say one of the best things is that I can now see my score without a magnifying glass, lol

11. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Why are people with iPhone 4 trying this when the game clearly states it is for 4s? Didn't you expect it to perform horribly?

Anyway, I'm mulling this over. I have a 4, but also an iPad 2. Obviously I'd play this version on the iPad... which is where I've been playing the SD version, but the fact is I already have that and this one is another chunk of change, to say the least. Hmm.

12. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    the game description says it's also for iphone 4 but probably with lower performance, so why not trying it? anyway it looks great but when playing it does not matter that much anyway because of all the action in game.

13. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Ahhh. Yesterday I swear it said it was for iPhone 4s and iPad 2+ only. I see now that the description mentions iPhone 4 (at lower performance). That's weird. They should just say 4s and iPad 2.

14. geremy

geremy Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    It's like christmas in march.

15. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    meh... I wasn't really too impressed with ESP. in HD... but damn if I just can't help but send money to Cave... guess I'll pick this one up, even though I have no problems at all playing in 2X mode... =oP

16. RCranium666

RCranium666 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    Game Impressions

Just bought the HD version and it runs fine on my iphone4. I have the non-hd version and got the lite HD version. The game doesn't stutter. Don't know why it isn't running well on other iphone4s but have tried both arcade and smartphone modes through stage2. Looks fantastic of course. Jailbroken 5.0.1.

17. KingAlbestar

KingAlbestar Member

Jan 6, 2011
    Eldorado
    I'm not experiencing those issues too, tried both on 4 and 4s and the difference is not that staggering. I had no apps running in background, so maybe it's because it ran full throttle, but on the 4 seems to do just some kind of skipframes adjustments and it's totally playable, not slow at all. It's like you have to choose between the blurry graphics of the SD version and this slight skipframes thing on the HD but again it's definitely enjoyable!

18. killwhitey

killwhitey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    this, totally. I bought both this and Esp HD when I found out the update made it work on my 4S!

[​IMG]

19. RCranium666

RCranium666 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    That's interesting because the 4s was supposed to be much faster graphically than the 4.