iPad Dodonpachi Resurrection - by Cave (v1.0.4 Game Center) +lite

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Fujibayashi

Fujibayashi Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2009
    Japanese / Korean translator.
    Mililani, O'ahu, Hawai'i
    that's the beauty of "scraping" bullets to build the "M" bar, and then unleashing the freakin' Hyper Cannon. Once I started getting the hang of it, it's just... wow.

2. Soi-Fong

Soi-Fong Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Illinois
    Have to get better at this! lol The game actually doesn't look half-bad on an iPhone 4 and of course no slow-down whatsoever.

3. Fujibayashi

Dec 21, 2009
    Mililani, O'ahu, Hawai'i
    touhou / bullet hell isn't for everyone

Bullet hell games are different from other top-down shooters precisely *because* the focus is on the bullets, not the enemies. The lasers filling up the screen is the whole point. To see if this kind of game is for you, I'd recommend (as others have said) to try "Rrootage", I believe it's a free (if not free, it's got to be cheap) download; it's the bullet-hell shooter in its most pure form. Once you get the hang of that game and if you like it, then you can understand the difference in focus between bullet hell and regular shoot-em-ups.

This game (Dodonpachi) actually has some rather deep gameplay; by changing to the "laser" weapon you can deflect all the enemy purple lasers that become a rather large problem from lvl 3 or 4 onward; though this is at the cost of your bullet spread. Also, instead of just twitch shooting everything on the screen, to really get everything out of the game you need to NOT shoot everything to death and intentionally BARELY miss the bullets the enemy is shooting at you ("scraping", I believe it's called). This builds your "M" gauge, which in turn causes your Hyper Cannon to be a much more effective weapon in a pinch, even more so than a bomb. The fact that you can aim and control the point spread of your hyper cannon is a genius touch, I don't think I've seen it in a game like this except for Cave's earlier game "GUWANGE" (arcades only, not on an iDevice - you can play it in MAME, and it's a classic). Anyway, the point is there's all kinds of subtle levels in this shooter - if you just blast through and try to shoot everything on the screen you're missing 90% of the game. Again, though - bullet hell shooters aren't for everyone, they're most definitely an acquired taste. :)
    Give Rrootage a try!

4. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Game Impressions

Dodonpachi Resurrection is as close to perfect as it gets.

5. Fujibayashi

Dec 21, 2009
    Mililani, O'ahu, Hawai'i
    couldn't agree more!

6. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    That would be rRootage Online, free and works on iOS3 or above. Gameplay is monotone (not a negative adjective), but it is fun. It is not just dodge the bullets and have 4 modes to keep you entertained.

7. O_O...

O_O... New Member

Jul 5, 2010
    How many levels?

Can anyone tell me how many levels there are in the game (original or this one since they're probably the same) Thanks.

8. KushyKush

KushyKush Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Woooo buying now! I'm going to be putting that otterbox defender case to good use when I throw my phone across the room after dying repeatedly

9. chespace

chespace Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Absolutely amazing.

Cave are masters of iPhone shmups.

10. WilliamG

WilliamG Well-Known Member

May 11, 2010
    #90 WilliamG, Aug 26, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
    I just bought this, but am definitely disappointed it doesn't run completely smoothly on my iPhone 4 (first boss battle literally dumps the framerate, and when the boss ends it boosts back up to 60fps it feels like). There's some obvious slowdown that's not there in Espgaluda. Boo. Otherwise, another great Cave title.

11. Vally

Vally Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    #91 Vally, Aug 26, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
    I've only had a couple of hours to spend on this so far as i'm at work, but I have to say - This is absolutely amazing.

Figuring out the scoring hooks is really, really good fun. Though if you're playing for score on Arcade mode, i'd strongly recommend turning your Hyper Counter to manual. Once you've used your hyper to build up a substantial hit count, storing a full hyper and not using it will give you a massive score multiplier as long as you can maintain the chain.

Currently rank 6 with Type C Strong Style, 4,585,758,717

I *really* want to get better with Power Style, as it seems to be the easiest style to build your Hyper up with:

Normal shot is brilliant for adding to hit counter but not for hyper building.
    Boost is brilliant for hyper building but not for adding to hit counter.

So you boost shot until you have hyper,
    Use hyper, go into normal shot, cancel all the bullets you can,
    Go back to boost shot to build up another hyper gauge while keeping your chain rolling
    max out hyper gauge, don't use it, switch to normal shot and keep chain rolling.

= big score.

12. Kai555

Kai555 Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Student
    play on my touch, runs smooth. occasional slowdown but not much and does not effect gameplay.

but it sure drains battery. much.

13. Vally

Vally Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Oooof. It's amazing how reliant on autobomb I am to get through the stages!

3rd on Openfeint for Type C Power Style. 2,573,769,651.

It can, and will, get much better.

14. PassivePez

PassivePez Member

Aug 26, 2010
    I agree, it feels like ESP is smoother or something, not sure if its because the ship is faster in DDP but definitely doesn't seem as smooth as ESP.

15. diffusion8r

diffusion8r Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    What icon appears on the iPod?

16. del

del Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    so is this one the one to get or is Espgaluda, all things considered, the better game?

if there are slowdowns, that's a major negative, isn't it?

17. Vally

Vally Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    They're both individual games with individual scoring systems. Get them both but if you must choose one, Dodonpachi is more accessible in my opinion.

I'm playing both on iPhone 4 and haven't noticed any slowdown issues myself unless things get busy, which is when it should kick in anyway.

18. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Just played a bit. Impressive, although I don't see anything of the landscape and enemies. Is there a way to stop shooting manually? And it's butter smooth on my iPhone.

19. Benegesserit

Benegesserit Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Am I supposed to spin my bullets around like a nut when hyper cannon is activated? It seems like the only way to build up the massive cannon but it seems really silly to spin the handle around instead of facing forward to hit enemies.

I'm in iPhone mode btw

20. jwei44

jwei44 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    High School Graduating
    California
    One of the few reasons I want a 32gb