Universal DODONPACHI MAXIMUM (by CAVE)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Wonderful experience.

The bullets are sharp with eye-popping colors, the 2 fingers tapping for laser bomb is great, and I love how the trails of the ship is visually presented. I don't really like the visuals of the enemy because I can't really see how awesome they are, but it adds the layer of visuals that is less chaotic. Therefore it's easier to play for my little nephew.

Though I prefer the soundtrack for Dodonpachi Ressurection because it's more frantic, the music of this game is also nice. There are 5 fighters to select (with 2 must be unlocked during gameplay) and 4 comic illustration on the story; overall is just visually great.

Another great game from Cave, which is now still on sale. Like the pricing policy of Cave and definitely like the game!!

2. Vally

Vally Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Had a lot of fun with this on WP7. Make no mistakes about the difficulty, it gets very hard especially if you're trying a Hibachi run. :)

3. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Oh wow...I totally didn't make the connection, despite it being clearer than day. The joke totally flew over my head. >_> I'm blaming the fact it was 6 am when I posted. :p

4. thevagrant

thevagrant Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    That's exactly what I thought after the first level. Personnaly, I miss the narrative elements of usual Cave games, the feeling of going through a world and a story from A to B. And it all feels a bit empty and bland visually. But it's clear that this is no half-baked title released for getting another buck out of cave fans. It's a true shooter, and in many ways cleverly adjusted to reflect the reality of mobile gaming (voice overs about the laser or life left to the boss for exemple are great).

5. ipod_david

ipod_david Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    Hopefully my iPhone will come soon now. Bought this game today as a Day One purchase. They Said on my iPod AppStore: you Need a digital compass for that One. So basically all iPods are incompatible?!
    I think this is a Nice Addition to The Collection :D

6. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    As a non-expert in Cave's shmups, this one is the best to start as a "beginner".
    Not too much distraction, clean and crisp screen/bullets and a Hitbox that
    helps me immense to enjoy this game.
    For my taste, absolutely the best of Cave. Recommended !

7. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    yeah, I know... **Danmaku = Bullet curtain/curtain fire

Just wasn't sure if Connector knew what he said, so I was just clarifying that...

ANYWAY...

This is easily my favorite DP game thus far. I know we've only had it for a couple hours, but damnit, it's great. As Strive mentioned, it does have that rRootage feel, but still keeping in line with Cave's greatness and style - along with a fairly simple scoring system (first time I was able to figure out the scoring without looking for a guide somewhere or in the help section) while still giving gamers, even hardcore bullet-hell fanatics, loads of challenge (in keeping up chains and memorizing enemy+bullet patterns as well as upping the difficulty the next level depending on how you preform) and replay value (16 GC boards!!! WOOHOO!!)

I'm diggin the VR treatment, even though I think this is one of Cave's more stylish games on the iOS (the visual cues and crisp graphics are fantastic).

And it's made even more great by the fact that we haven't gotten a really good shmup in a while (seems the genre's been dead for the last 4-6 months when compared to how many shmup releases we were getting around the end of last year/beginning of this year).

Back to playing... =oD

8. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    I have three words for Cave: Muchi Muchi Pork!

Where is it? :mad:

9. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Is it just me or is Game Center not working for anything with this game? None of my scores or achievements are showing up.
    Awesome game nonetheless. The ghostlike enemy style is a very cool touch...

10. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Just played my first game it's awesome, but yeah GC isn't working for me either.
    Edit: wait maybe because I started on easy mode?

11. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    could be... GC is working fine for me, but I haven't played on Easy Mode yet. =o/

Last night I was having a LOT of problems with GC loading HORRENDOUSLY slow... dunno if that could be the case. =o/

12. thevagrant

Jun 8, 2009
    It was wondering the same, but didn't want to shut the app and restart it. Cave loves their gamecenter bug on release.

13. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

Game Center was working fine just after release, and I was able to submit and view scores. It won't load now though, even through the Game Center app (which is being really slow in general today).

14. thevagrant

Jun 8, 2009
    Good news, I'll try to resubmit tonight then. Thanks

15. Coldcoffee

Coldcoffee Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Student
    Monkey Island
    I am curious if this has retina graphics on the 3rd gen ipad?

16. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

No it doesn't have iPad 3 Retina graphics, not even in the interface. Still a fantastic looking game though.

17. B30

B30 Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Planet Earth
    Great game, of all the Shmup's out there I would recommend this one for beginners.

18. I never know what I am saying, haha! :D

Wow, you seem to like it alot. I always buy every cave game at launch and appreciate their early adopter sales. Don't mind their higher price points cause they got some great games, and are loyal to their early adopter fans.

Be joining you soon in about 3 more hours. Brb soon with my thoughts.

19. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    This looks good. Thanks SV for the impressions here. How do you rate this against Espgaluda 2? I only want one of these on my device since they're usually pretty large games and I'm not THE biggest fan of the genre, but I enjoy them.

20. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Haha..probably going to pick it up after work. And from Sanuku's video, I think I'll like this..and just end up keeping only Deathsmiles, this, and Bug Princess 2 just to save on space.