Universal DoDonPachi Blissful Death (by CAVE)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Feb 8, 2012.

1. RCranium666

RCranium666 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    I like this game a lot. Wish it would run on my iPad.

2. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    I played once and got to stage 3 or 4 but now when I play the game always crashes during gameplay on the first stage. :(

3. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Did you make sure Game Center's loaded? I noticed with this and Bug Princess, if GC doesn't load, they'll inevitably crash.

4. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    Thought it was but maybe not. I tried with WiFi off and it didn't crash. Anyway to get more credits? Also I find it insanely hard to keep the hit counter going. :( I suck.

5. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    Well, the game is insanely hard, remember. :p Took me a couple of tries to 1CC Novice, and I cannot for the life of me get through Stage 5 on Normal at all at the moment. It's simply a hurricane of bullets, never mind a curtain, and it hurts my brain to think that anyone can weave through that and understand what they're doing. I have to dive backwards and forwards and hope for the best. I can reach the boss, but I don't have enough lives or hypers to beat it.

I like the game, and don't regret buying it, but it's a bit of a weird port. As has been pointed out, most iOS players will simply never get the most out of this, what with the sky-high difficulty and the rigid rules... plus while I like Cave's touchscreen ports a lot I cannot see why you'd port the one game where the controls make playing it most effectively (working the scoring system) the hardest of all their back catalogue.

So far I've 1CCd Mushihimesama on a few different settings and liked it a great deal, played Deathsmiles some but failed at the final boss every time (Jesus Christ, that final stage is a hell of a difficulty spike) and tried a bit of Espgaluda II and DDP Resurrection. Blissful Death is a reasonably solid game, but not my favourite by a long shot. I've never been that good at shooters, but I've played a lot of them (if I didn't mention it before, my nick should show I'm a Cave fan :D) and this does feel more of a curiosity for the hardcore than a fully-fledged release. I don't feel cheated or anything like that - I'm happy to do what little I can to support the company - but I do think 'Thank Christ I never shelled out for this on import or anything like that' a bit.

6. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Just beat the game for the first time... Yeah, I'm slow... Have had a LOT of games to catch up on and check out on my new iPad...

Anyway... Just beat the game, and my score wasn't uploaded.... Anyone else have this problem? Do I need to be playing on a certain difficulty? Or... Did it just not register...?

7. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    I have the same problem on iPad 2, highs-score and achievements donĀ“t show up in Gamecenter.
    Did a re-install, too, but no luck.

8. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[size=+2]DODONPACHI BLISSFUL DEATH[/size]
    is one of the nominees for
    [size=+2]Touch Arcade Game of the Week
    08/02/2012
    [/size]

Do you like to dodge and survive in this ultimate bullet hell game?

[size=+3][thread=122060]VOTE HERE[/thread][/size]

- Devs cannot vote for their own games -​

9. farjo08

farjo08 Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2011
    I haven't seen that problem, but I have noticed that open feint seems to be unreliable with this game. Meaning it fails to connect over 50% of the time (other games work fine). I did have achievement issues not registering when open feint failed to connect. I'm not sure if there is some dependency and if that may be causing your issue, but something you might want to see if it may be an issue for you as well.

10. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Good to know. I play primarily in laser too, but I do find shot useful so that I can chip away at high hit point ships, while continuing to chain smaller ships.

11. Ab0veAv3ragE

Ab0veAv3ragE Member

Aug 27, 2010
    Seciond loop

Is it possible to access the second loop by playing on Novice? All you have to do is 1cc right?

12. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    #172 eev, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
    @Ab0veAv3ragE
    was posted already by Vally that you have to play on hard to access it.

13. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    lol i was thinking that turning on automatic bomb/hyper control would trigger auto use of hyper when you peak it so i turned it off. now thanks to the review on frontpage i tried this option and it uses hyper only on hit, well it should make some things easier in this game.

14. SuperWeird

SuperWeird Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    I'm really loving the super-high difficulty of this game. It's the hardest Cave shooter I've played so far. DDP and ESPII always seemed too easy to me, since you could always continue, but this one really makes you work. Still trying to beat the game on Novice, I had to give up on normal for now.

DeathSmiles is still my favorite Cave title, but Blissful Death may be #2 for me.

15. thevagrant

thevagrant Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Is the achievement/score not uploading only happening on Ipad2? Or on some ipad2 only?

I was wondering if I should try the game on my ipod just to see if they uploaded correctly...

16. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    What's New in Version 1.0.1
    We have fixed the following issues for this update:
    - Achievements not reflected on GameCenter
    - Stage 5 boss issue.
    - High score could not be overwritten after the ending for 2nd loop is skipped.
    - Fixed an issue with dragging the ship during the usage of Wait Control (Slowdown Control)
    - Fixed other minor issues.

17. jmbaker

jmbaker Member

Jul 13, 2011
    #177 jmbaker, Feb 22, 2012
    Last edited: May 16, 2012
    Achievements

Achievement List (Some are already known):

• 1 - Hyper Cannon - Store up 5 hypers
    • 2 - Learn the Pattern - Find the hidden one up (destroy each side of the shot cannon before destroying the center)
    • 3 - Stage 1 Cleared - Clear Stage 1 with no continues
    • 4 - Stage 2 Cleared - Same
    • 5 - Stage 3 Cleared - Same
    • 6- Stage 4 Cleared - Same
    • 7 - Stage 5 Cleared - Same
    • 8 - Type A Shotia Complete - Clear the game using the TYPE-A ship & Shotia
    • 9 - A Leinyan Complete - Same
    • 10 - Type A EXY Complete - Same
    • 11 - Type B Shotia Complete - Same
    • 12 - Type B Leinyan Complete - Same
    • 13 - Type B EXY Complete - Same
    • 14 - My First Chain - Achieve a 100-hit chain on Stage 1
    • 15 - 400 Hits - Achieve a 400-hit chain on Stage 1
    • 16 - UNKNOWN
    • 17 - Beekeeping: Stage 1 - Grab every bee in Stage 1
    • 18 - Tricky Chain - Destroy the factory (Cylindrical structure that opens and closes) on Stage 2 with a chain of over 600
    • 19 - Beekeeping: Stage 2 - Same
    • 20 - Through the Barrage - Defeat the Stage 2 boss without using a Hyper or Bomb
    • 21 - Beekeeping: Stage 3 - Same
    • 22 - Curtain of Doom - Survive the second phase of the Stage 3 Boss without using a hyper, bomb, or dying
    • 23 - It's over 1000! - Achieve a 1000-hit chain on Stage 4
    • 24 - Beekeeping: Stage 4 - Same
    • 25 - Grindin' My Gears - Earn 3 Hypers on the Stage 4 Boss
    • 26 - Tenacity - Connect a 1500-hit chain on Stage 5
    • 27 - Beekeeping: Stage 5 - Same
    • 28 - Conquering Koryu - Defeat the Stage 5 boss, Koryu
    • 29 - YES (Enter Second Loop)
    • 30 - Defeat Hibachi
    • 31 - First Extend - Earn 10m points
    • 32 - Second Extend - Earn 30m points
    • 33 - 9 Digits - Earn 100m points
    • 34 - Blissful Death - Earn 200m points
    • 35 - Star Collector: 10,000 - Collect 10,000 star items in total.
    • 36 - Star Collector: 20,000 - Same
    • 37 - Star Collector: 30,000 - Same
    • 38 - Star Collector: 40,000 - Same
    • 39 - Star Collector: 50,000 - Same
    • 40 - The Ascetic Road - Start Practice Mode without any Power-ups, Bombs, or Hypers

Anyone know how to get Achievement # 16?

18. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Is there a way to turn off tutorial before starting a game?

19. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    I love this game's simpler scoring mechanics compared to DDPR and ESPII, but I feel Bug Princess 1 is harder than this.

Bug Princess 2 is even harder, but that goes without saying I suppose.

20. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    You are given continues for DDPBD as well... But like BP 1+2, you need to collect credits. You get 1 credit every 2 game overs.