Universal Dockit Rocket (by Kranky Robot) for tvOS & iOS

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by krankyrobot, Nov 3, 2015.

1. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    #21 LordShad0wz, Nov 5, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
    Can someone explain the bar code scanner thing? What you scan just ordinary household items, say I go in the bathroom and use the bottle of soap. It somehow then generates a level from a bar code?

Is that right?

Btw this game is insanely difficult. I purchased a ton of ships in lets go rocket. I figured this was similar in gameplay. And then hooly crap dead. Dead. Blown up. Dead.

Honestly. If there was an iap to start with the laser or something I'd freaken buy it lol

I really do love the artwork and the arcade long screen cabinet style screening. Really nicely done there.

Billy

2. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    I bought it too but haven't tried it yet. I assume you are correct in your assumption. I hope so because I'm not sure how else it'd work. I'm hoping the dev pushes an update quickly with some amendments coz I rlly like the gameplay and art style also. If things were loosened up a bit and completed levels stayed completed this would be a true gem.

3. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    How did you shoot something? Do you only get a weapon if you pick up one of those letter tiles?
    There is no explanation as to what those are

4. H4nd0fg0d

Mar 30, 2010
    Yup. The 'F's are fuel, 'S' is shield and not sure which one shoots but one does.

5. H4nd0fg0d

Mar 30, 2010
    Game Center isn't registering my score. Not sure what the deal is. I shld be 3rd. I see mr bez and a couple other TA regs on it. I'm logged in GC in the game tho. Idk

6. krankyrobot

krankyrobot Cancelled
    Patreon Indie

H4nd0fg0d, you mentioned this game should start over at the current round, instead of the beginning (Round 1). That is definitely interesting. My concern is that it would be much more difficult to achieve a high score (you'd lose what you've learned and those points from previous rounds). It would end up being less of a high-score-chaser and more of a round-completer. Maybe that is what you want? Everybody, let me know what you think...

7. H4nd0fg0d

Mar 30, 2010
    #27 H4nd0fg0d, Nov 6, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
    I certainly see your point. As it stands tho, I'm mainly just playing the first level repeatedly to the point of monotony. Maybe an option to chase high score and one for level completion, also separate Game Center boards for each. Even if you could complete levels, die, and continue from that level while retaining your score it is still in essence a high score chaser with a different dynamic and if you start a new game, you start from scratch. This seems like a much more user friendly scheme that would alleviate the frustration of always starting at square one and also allow high scores to be chased. Seems viable to me. Think about it. Cheers man!

*Many other score chasers employ the same scheme as mentioned above with success.

8. krankyrobot

krankyrobot Cancelled
    Patreon Indie

Got an example of your favorites?

9. H4nd0fg0d

Mar 30, 2010
    Playing Almost Impossible and it's not a straight reset and employs checkpoints. That one is just off the cuff, not very sure if I'd even compare it. Point is it doesn't seem like a game breaker to continue from the level you reach in a single session. It's your baby and ultimately your call. I'll like it either way but would prefer continuation or loosening the beginning levels a tad because as it stands, I may only ever get to 3 or 4 levels after many many many failures and most players will probably lose all patience and not be inspired to spend coin on ships which generates revenue and keeps ppl playing.

10. krankyrobot

krankyrobot Cancelled
    Patreon Indie

Update: Dockit Rocket (version 1.1) has been submitted to the App Store.

11. H4nd0fg0d

Mar 30, 2010
    Nice lil update, still only playing first 3 levels over and over and over. Losing interest very fast. Thanx, it's been real but not real great.

12. krankyrobot

krankyrobot Cancelled
    Patreon Indie

The update is now available.

I adjusted the difficulty, balanced the power-ups and added fuel. Let me know what you think!

13. krankyrobot

krankyrobot Cancelled
    Patreon Indie

I'm looking into the other suggestions for the next update.

One being: some endless runners start back at the beginning with the same content when you die, and some do not repeat but are new random levels. Would adding continues be fun? So when you die, only start back at Round 1 when out of continues? You could earn continues by collecting a certain number of $ power-ups, docking, and maybe a new "continue" power-up. This still lets you learn the Rounds and do better and better and get a higher and higher score.

Let me know what you think...

14. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Thanks for the update, the game is more playable for me now. I really sucked before.
    Your idea about the continues sounds good, but I still have to make it far enough to dock once. Getting there....
    Really great game man, you really nailed the retro factor out of the park.

15. H4nd0fg0d

Mar 30, 2010
    My point is, sometimes it takes quite a few runs just to dock stage one. Then once you get a grip on stage one, you get one shot at next more difficult level, fail and back to one again. Not a fan. In one game just let the game start on the new level, seems simple to me. Anything else is senseless futility that I'll have to pass on. Good luck man.

16. H4nd0fg0d

Mar 30, 2010
    Screw it, I'm done

17. krankyrobot

krankyrobot Cancelled
    Patreon Indie

Are you willing to explain?

18. H4nd0fg0d

Mar 30, 2010
    Already elaborated my thoughts extensively.

19. krankyrobot

krankyrobot Cancelled
    Patreon Indie

Great, I'm working on an update!

20. krankyrobot

krankyrobot Cancelled
    Patreon Indie

Dockit Rocket update (version 1.2) now available!
    - Added lives
    - Tweaked difficulty
    - iPad Pro support
    - Now start over at the level died on (can reset by exiting to the title screen)