iPad Do You Prefer Touch or Motion Controled Games?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by gigidey, Nov 15, 2008.

?

Touch or Motion?

1. Touch

54 vote(s)
    70.1%
  2. Motion

8 vote(s)
    10.4%
  3. I feel left out because I dont have an opinion, but I like to click stuff, so I'm voting here.

15 vote(s)
    19.5%
  1. gigidey

gigidey Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    I like touch games better, I find accelerometer games to be mostly gimmicky.

2. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    from the thread next door:
    Touch +1

3. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Touch, mainly because it allows me to play in any position I like.

4. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    the question is subjective to each app.

some apps work great with touch, some work greats with accelerometer.

5. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    YES, that's also my opinion!
    This is the big advantage of this piece of hardware....both is possible.
    And there are great games in each controlling method.

EDIT: So there should be a 4th choice in the poll: I LOVE BOTH :)

6. gnadenlos

gnadenlos Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2008
    It depends on the genre and how the controls are elaborated.

Generally I prefer touch controls, because they are more precise and you can use them in public without making a fool out of yourself.

7. mavis

mavis Well-Known Member

Exactly. Also, when playing on crowded trains, touch is a must. ;)

8. This is what I was gonna say, but I was afraid people might start moaning that I am preaching :p

9. gigidey

gigidey Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Thats what the no opinion is for. I guess i phrased it oddly.

10. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I think this is a silly question. I like the controls to make sense for the game. Dizzy Bee is awesome. A tilt controlled snake game is not. In my case I also haven't liked tilt control of racing games so far, yet the motion controls in Venger are great.

11. eeenmachine

eeenmachine Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Independent Game Developer
    San Diego, CA
    Totally depends on the type of game, also motion controlled games can certainly be done well enough not to make you look like a retard or stand out it public unless you really want it to.

12. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    But for me it is a clear opinion! :)
    I care...but for both!

13. alextangweihao

alextangweihao Active Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Student
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I dont think the whole accelerometer thing has much potentials besides for racing....touch is much better!!!

14. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    that's exactly what I think too. Touch games are just so much easier to play in public and take less energy to play. I'm really not that lazy that I won't even tilt my arms, but when you're playing for a while touch always just feels better. Racing games were made to have tilt based controls, but only if they're executed well

15. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Well, honestly

I know that this is my second post on this one, but I might have had a slight change of heart. The accelerometer has a purpose, in fishing games. Using the accelerometer to cast is the natural way to do it, but the fishing game makers need to include touch casting, so that people don't look like idiots in public. Pocket Jockey is another GREAT application of the accelerometer. Go to http://TUAW.com and watch the product demo and you'll get my drift... Touch is usually better, and should be an option, period. But the motion sensor is good for a very limited scope of games and apps, but this is some of the best and highest quality apps. As in not Bugdom 2. Or Python.

Oh yea, the SGN games, iGolf, iBaseball, and iBowl. That is a great application of the accelerometer. I don't like iGolf much though. The others are great.

16. ravenvii

ravenvii Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    All the best games I've played on the iPhone are touch-based. Tris (sadly defunct, but I still have the app file, and ain't letting it go until they drop the price of the official Tetris to a reasonable level!), Topple, TouchPhysics, Trace, Bejeweled 2 (yeah, I know, but I bought it when it was on sale, so it's worth evey penny!) and so on so on.

17. along123

along123 Well-Known Member

yeah, it depends on the game really. Mostly, though. I prefer using the acce 'cause it's fun!

Also, it's distracting when you need to touch the screen sometime to play. It blocks the bloody screen!

And, also, I'm mostly happy with the games on the iPhone. Just wish it have more FPS!

:cool:

18. eeenmachine

Oct 24, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Scoops wouldn't be half as fun if the controls were touch based. And the controls are sensitive and accurate enough that no one would even notice you playing it if they weren't paying attention. The accelerometer has many more applications than just for fishing games. Many developers will learn to use it appropriately due to the lack of buttons on the device.

19. eeenmachine

Oct 24, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Doesn't Topple use the accelerometer to balance your tower?

20. You beat me to it- was gonna say the same thing. It certainly does use the accelerometer to balance the tower.