Do you have any "popular" titles that you've never touched?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by DJCaseyD, Aug 16, 2011.

1. jyhjyh

jyhjyh Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Denmark
    Mine are:

Hook Champ
    Hook Worlds
    Super QuickHook
    Osmos
    Pocket God
    Plants vs Zombies (played a bit on PC)
    Grokion
    Airport Mania 2
    Tiny Wings
    Requim
    The Sims 3 Ambitions
    Slay
    Woodcutter
    Cluedo
    Tiger Woods PGA

....... and many more
    Most of them are bought on sales, but that is no excuse.

2. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    #22 LOLavi, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
    wow. those ones are good. You should try Pocket God, PvZ for sure, Tiny Wings, Requiem, Osmos and all hook series games.

Edit: I see many have even better games! For god sake don't keep those apps there for nothing!

3. DJCaseyD

DJCaseyD Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2010
    It's nice to see that I'm not the only one in the same boat. I've definitely cut down on buying stuff lately unless I really know I'm going to play it. I probably still download too much free stuff. I keep stuff around thinking, "then I'll have it if I ever feel like playing this type of game.." I keep old stuff around the house for the same reason. I think I still have a bowling ball from 20 years ago. :)

4. cyborg5000

cyborg5000 Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2011
    Weird, i tried most popular. I'm the top 200 apps camper. LOL

5. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #25 backtothis, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
    Same, I usually grab anything that looks good in top charts. Otherwise, I'm looking at Apple's featured list and TA's reviews for other games.

But yeah, definitely cutting down now for games. Only getting the games I know I'll play for sure since college is starting. Only bought iBlast Moki 2. Might get 1-2 more games today after I see Apple's new list of featured games. Probably won't though. Used to pick up everything that even looked slightly interesting on Wednesday nights without thinking. Meh. But yeah, since January 2009 when I bought my first paid app on the AppStore, I've been spending $69.37 a month on average. Yeah, I went through all my receipts and calculated. It's not much more than a new console game a month, but it's buying a whole lot more content than I'll ever get to. Needless to say, most of my games are five-minute hits. If they aren't any good, I'm not going to bother even keeping them on iTunes. I try to keep my quota of paid games on iTunes at 350 and at 200 on my iPod. That means I'm constantly deleting games so that only the best ones are left.

It's a simple mindset to think you're going to store an iOS game away and play it later, but with the rapidly forward-moving AppStore and the constant release of games, that's just not going to happen. You might as well delete the junk so your iTunes won't be diluted with games you're never going to play. Having spent over $2000 on the AppStore, which is more than games on every other platform combined (3DS, Wii, PS2, PSP, Mac, PC, GBC), I've long since figured that's the truth.

The iOS doesn't limit people with a low budget, it limits people time-wise.

6. Luke Kellett

Luke Kellett Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Indie iPhone Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    Oh yeah... I tallied up how much I spent, and well I'm starting to think Apple make just as much on apps as the do their hardware :p

7. js1210

js1210 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    I think with the ios' extensive collection of great, cheap games combined with the constant freebies, price cuts, and sequels means that everyone has at least a few :) Ill only list the ones i payed hard, cold cash for, and the reason i dont play em, just for fun.

Angry Birds- Not bad, but not nearly as good as i expected from the hype. Got repetetive and purely luck based realll fast. No crippling adiction for me here

Dead Space- Got it for a dollar on sale, its amazing, but i have too many other great games to play! :D

NBA Jam- Look above, also, no online multiplayer.

Robot Unicorn- Highly overrated, imo. Not much fun. I do dig that song though

Street Fighter- For me this a perfect example of why touch screen will NEVER replace physical control. Poor controls compared to any iteration of street fighter before it(cept maybe the first one XD) knockoff looking graphics(They look copied n pasted), no online. Glad i only paid a dollar for it. My little 4 year old cousin really enjoys it though, so there ya go.

Splinter Cell- Is this considered critically aclaimed? Idk, either way its really cool(though not quite a splinter cell game), just havent had the time to play it!

There ya go, probably more than anyone ever wanted to read about my unplayed games hahaha

8. DJCaseyD

Apr 6, 2010
    I forgot about Splinter Cell, and you're right about the controls. That's one reason I can't seem to get into console based stuff. As much as I want to play it, it just seems more pain than it's worth playing on the small touch screen. That might be why I always go back to the casual pick-up-and-play games.

9. LawLessLove

LawLessLove Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Street Fighter
    Mission Europa Collector's Edition

10. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    omg

The saying you are more addicted to buying them then playing them is amazing LOL I thought I was the only one man.... glad to have someone I can relate to! :cool:

11. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    hmmm

Wow good read, I feel the same way....

12. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Yep, it used to often feel like I bought acts to collect them rather than to just play them. I couldn't being left behind since new releases are out each week. I just had to buy every game I was even slightly interested in every week so I didn't get left behind when the following week's releases were out. But yeah, like I previously said, it's going to be different now. Only spent $2 since about 12 days ago, having only bought iBlast Moki 2 and Rogue Sky. The low prices on the AppStore make buying games you interested in hard to resist, even if it's 5 or more purchases in a single night. Going to miss that, but now, I'll actually only be buying what I know I'll play right away. Should be a great change in the long run, heh.

13. ShallowGamer

ShallowGamer Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Foursquare
    #34 ShallowGamer, Aug 23, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
    I had a bad week not too long ago and I still haven't played about 10 of the games out of the list below (screenshot included):

[​IMG]

Any support groups for this that meet on tuesdays?

14. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    I have 8 PAGES of receipts from May 2011 alone.

LOL.

15. ShallowGamer

ShallowGamer Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Foursquare
    Oh my.

Any $80+ days?

The 19th was the worst day ever. I got about 15 different messages from Bank of America via their alerts features. My iPhone has never gone off that much.

16. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Possibly two. Last September when Apple made a bunch of amazing games on sale for $0.99 and the day after last Christmas when I had received over $100 of iTunes cards. Spent a little over $150 both those months.

17. DJCaseyD

Apr 6, 2010
    LOL@ the responses. I really had no idea there were this many people in the same boat. I have benefitted from this thread though. I went through my apps the other night, and though I kept the actual files (on a backup drive), I removed a ton of stuff from my applist. I can't tell you how good that felt. It's much quicker to scroll through my list now. I also started going through apps, and if I don't get that "I have to keep playing" or "I want to play that again" feeling from them, they're being deleted from the Ipod. I also haven't spent much in the store lately. I've had around $50 in credit for at least 2-3 months now. There is hope. :)