iPad Do you find yourself buying more than you're playing?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by GatorDeb, Mar 6, 2009.

1. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    It's so easy to get excited and buy games, but I find it I'm not really getting to spend times with my games. I imposed a five-page limit, and if I run out of room, I HAVE to delete something before I download something else. Right now I want to finish the 5 hidden object games and once I finish those I can delete them and finish the two picross games I have left and once I delete those maybe finish the three time management games I have and play Moxie and Wordsworth and Wordfu to death and then maybe delete them for some Vexed (X3) action. Maybe finish Ivory Tiles and shift so I can delete them and make room for some other games.

The games are so cheap I don't feel bad deleting them after I finish them. PixelCross was $3 or so and took me about 12 hours to beat, so that was money well spent. Picgrid cost me $2 and gave me two days of entertainment - I got my money's worth. The one game I'm not deleting is Puzzle Quest because I spent 40+ hours on it so far, but if I could save my hero and load him up later, that'd go too.

So now I just get games on sale instead of buying regular price until I finish the backlog of hundreds of games I have :(

2. stargazer513

stargazer513 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    if i had money ill be buying more than i can play
    ohhh if only i had money..

3. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    Duh, of course I buy more than I play.

4. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    Nice post GatorDeb...I'm the say way. I've imposed a 7 page limit (initially it was 5 too) and I've kept things manageable. Honestly, I have a good amount free apps as well. There are plenty of instances where those are better than the paid ones. It is hard to finish games though especially with how much comes out every week. The other thing is that shelf life for most apps is relatively short in terms of buzz, and it's easy for many to get caught up in it.

5. Grumps

Grumps Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    iOS Game Developer
    No, I'm always trying to make every peny i spent worth. Unless the game is just awful.

6. Brazilian Rider

Brazilian Rider Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Something I find very handy is Categories.

I can hide all 100 of my gaming apps in a neat little folder and not feel bad about buying them every time I log on!

7. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I must have about 2 or 3 pages worth of apps that are hidden beyond the 9th page.

It's always a surprise when I delete an app that's on the original 9. I never know what I'm gonna get.

Life is a like an iTouch/Phone filled with apps beyond 9 pages...ya never know what ya gonna get. :D

8. kiwi91

kiwi91 Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    U.S.
    Story of my life.

9. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    I wish I wasn't buying more than I'm playing. I like the ideas that you two have about imposing a several page limit on your games/apps! I have NO space left and have 9 pages now. I can't believe it. I'm going to delete all the games I simply do not play or have interest in playing at the moment since I can always re-synch them at a later time.

I said a week ago or so that I was going to tighten my purse for bills, grocery money, etc so I have disappointed myself. The page limit will suit me well I think!

10. gscal

gscal Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    SF Bay Area
    You know how the iPotch (thank you pablo19) has restrictions on certain stuff, like 17+ apps and explicit songs? You should be able to restrict how many pages of apps you have. Apple probably won't get around to this, just something that would help...

11. I see something I might play on sale and I have to buy it. But then I don't have time to try them all right away! (I've had SimCity since it dropped to $5.99, but haven't fired it up yet!)

12. different

different Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Not right now, I have a backlog of games that I want to play through and review. But yeah, I've bought, played for 5 minutes and then deleted - I guess it's easy when most games are the price of a pint.

13. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    GatorDeb- Curious to ask if you mean delete from just your device or mean your iTunes account apps/game folder also? I'll delete off Touch but keep on file for some later use. But yea, I have not finished most games cuz too busy looking for the latest/fun game next to come. Can't help it....I'm told it's an addiction but think Im in good company.

14. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Just from the device. Although I'm about to delete all apps from the PC to regain a couple of gigs.

You can redownload at any time. And for management, I just download to the Touch when I'm ready to play. I'm going to do a webpage for myself where I list every game I own, the link to the store, and whether I liked it.

15. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    About this point - is there a way on iTunes to see a list of every app that I own? I mean, including the ones that I deleted. I might read my receipts or make a list as you plan, but it amazes me that a such simple and useful function is not in iTunes (if it actually isn't).

16. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA

You have a purchase history. click onto your name in itunes and then password. you'll see it......

17. doctorded

doctorded Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT Engineer
    Plantsville, CT
    Thank god I'm not alone!

18. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    ahah, there it is. Thanks!!!

19. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    I nearly went app crazy after discovering the app store. I already have a backlog of games for my ds and psp. But the Itouch games are sooooo cheap!

It's easy to get whipped up in the excitement and buy something one might regret later on.

For the stuff I'm on the fence about, I would note in down and wait a few days, reading reviews and discussions on this forum. Or I'd go for the lite version if there is one. It's worth waiting because sometimes the price drops. Largely because of the active and insightful discussions here and the availability of lite versions, I think I have a better discipline with the idevice than I have with my other portable systems. Buying ds and psp games are kinda like gambling -- it's getting difficult to gauge whether all the hype is real or not, and there's too much disappointment lately with the quality of games.

20. jordan10la

jordan10la New Member

Mar 5, 2009
    I have a CycloDS and I have so many great games I am yet to play. It's just hard when you have access to very game.