Do you buy premium games or no?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Desertking24, May 17, 2017.

1. Desertking24

Desertking24 Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Do you buy premium games or do you mainly go free? What's the reason? I used to buy games with no issue with the same mind set I do on pc or my 3ds thinking hey they are mine I don't have to worry about playing them immediately they will still be there. Then it seems like by the time I get to the iOS games I want to play after beating some, some update screwed them over.

2. slighmd

slighmd Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Surgeon
    Philippines
    For me it's premium games 99% of the time. Aside from Vainglory and Hearthstone being the only exception, the rule is for me, I abhor freemium and pay2win games. I don't have those, and will never have them, in my game library.

3. TrueBlou

TrueBlou Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 20, 2014
    Software Developer - witenoiz.com
    Scotland
    Absolutely, if there's a game I want and it's good enough I definitely pay. As far as I'm concerned gaming on iOS is no different to gaming on any other system. I buy games for PS4/Xbone/Switch and so on, so why shouldn't I do the same on iOS.

Don't get me wrong, I don't exclusively buy premium games. There's lots of good free ones too, but those have a different set of rules for me. I'll download them and try them but the first sign of any of the old gouging techniques and I delete it.
    Not that the developers don't deserve to make money, I just think there are fairer ways to treat your customers. Maybe I'm too old fashioned :D

4. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    I play both happily, but I'll never pay for any consumable IAP ever. Full game unlocks or extra levels I will pay for.

5. TrueBlou

Patreon Silver

Mar 20, 2014
    Scotland

I know what you mean, it can be taken a bit too far at times. Granted I do always have a consumable in my games, but it's my usual "Buy me a coffe" which just lets anyone who wants to contribute to my obsession (making games)

Most people don't bother, shocker :p but that's expected. Beyond that everything in my games can be obtained just by playing, no money necessary. Suppose that's why I'm poor :D but I'd rather that than gouge people for money. I don't like it myself so I'm sure as hell not doing it in my games.

6. Jean pierre

Jean pierre Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2017
    same for me, if I buy a game I own the game. For me it must be "stand alone" full game that can be backed up in the PC (IPA file).
    When I buy a game, the first test is the following: I launch the game in plane mode (no internet) and if it doesn't work I ask Apple for a refund.
    Besides I hate the trend which consist of turning a premium game into a free+IAP after a while.

7. Bucktroo

Bucktroo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
    Honestly, I'd venture that most of us, on an iOS gaming forum, will buy premium games. Maybe not exclusively, but I can't imagine people hanging around the forums only to look for free games :)

8. TrueBlou

Patreon Silver

Mar 20, 2014
    Scotland

You may well be right but I wouldn't like to put my money on it, not the way people are these days when it comes to anything they don't have to pay for. Mores the pity :D

9. thumbs07

thumbs07 Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    UK
    Yes, but also get free games. It's whatever is good, and with no forced agenda in either direction..

10. Pagan Fox

Pagan Fox Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2012
    Why yes, yes indeed, just bought Chroma squad as it happens.

11. TrueBlou

Patreon Silver

Mar 20, 2014
    Scotland
    What's your take on Chroma Squad? I've been thinking about getting it. Do you think it's worth the asking price?
    Cheers

12. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Pretty much works out that basically all of my games are premium. It's not even that I snob freemium off, it's just that regardless of even seeing the purchase tag, it tends to be that (99.9%) premium is the type of game I play. For instance, XCOM, binding of Isaac, KOTOR, steam world heist, dream quest, list goes on and on, but all of those are devoid of any cheapening gold,crystals, or gems. All are just pure quality and well evidently that's the essence of "premium" games.

13. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    Premium all the way!

14. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Yes, whenever possible!

15. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    i don't even know what premium means any more.

16. MorteTorment

MorteTorment Active Member

Feb 4, 2017
    I too would like a clarification.

Does it mean buy to play, where you'll never actually have to buy almost anything? If so, then yeah, I'm almost entirely premium. Love my Bully, and Djinn Caster. It's real fun stuff!

I also like how premium games often become completely free for a limited time, and they're yours to keep as long as you download them within the limited time. It's ####ing awesome! still play Silver bullet and Dungeon Runners.

17. vanessakiupe

vanessakiupe Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Producer and co-founder
    Lyon, France
    I do !

I do buy premium games :)
    We are also creating video games for kids, so premium games are usually the norm. Well, usually, as more and more developers of apps for kids are also trying "new" business models like iAP or ads.
    Looks like parents are not disturbed anymore by ads in games for kids...