iPad Do we have to rebuy games if a new company publishes them?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Kita, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Kita

Kita Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Boston
    I heard there were issues when redownloading critter crunch because it was taken off the app store then brought back up again with a new company. I believe people were charged twice when they purchased the game with the old company. Is the the case with virtual villager too? I know it used to be published by vivendi mobile but now it's through another company

2. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 19, 2008
    unfortunately yes.

If an app is removed and republished by another developer, it appears act like a completely new application without any relation to the previous one.

You would hope that Apple would have some system to move the old ones over to the new, but I don't think that's the case yet.

arn

3. Paulio

Paulio Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Local IGA (supermarket)
    Tasmania, Australia
    If it is put up by a different company, it is a new app and therefore, you must re-pay to re-download.
    If you are unsure, you can go to the page in tha appstore on your iDevice and see if the BUY NOW button is there, or if it says installed. If it's not there (ie says installed) you can re-dl for free, if it is there it means you have to pay.

you have to have the App installed on your iDevice for this to work.

4. supg328911

supg328911 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    pro ping pong player!!!!
    USA BABY
    wow that really sucks

5. Paulio

Paulio Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Local IGA (supermarket)
    Tasmania, Australia
    Oh yeah. A lot of things suck with the AppStore, and it's taking ages for them to update it. All in good time tho. Hopefully.

6. MetaBunny

MetaBunny Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Don't forget that if you still have a copy of the original game, it won't stop working just because it's been removed from the store. You can play that version forever. (Unless Apple uses their ability to remotely disable the app, which seems to be extremely unlikely.)

Of course, if you deleted the original file, you won't be able to re-download it, and if the new publisher releases an improved or updated version, you won't be able to get it unless you buy the game again.

7. Kita

Kita Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Boston
    I like to know that all of my applications are always available on the net in case anything happens to my iphone or pc hard drive. I tried backing up all of my iphone apps recently (20+ gigs of them!!) through an external hard drive but it was taking way too long and I don't feel it was worth the trouble.

8. Paulio

Paulio Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Local IGA (supermarket)
    Tasmania, Australia
    come again? You have 20+ gigs of apps??
    woah. How many is that? No wonder you want them backed up, that would take some time and a chunk of your download quota getting them all back!

How much have you spent?!

9. gospel9

gospel9 Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Same thing happened with Virtual Villagers lately. Yes you do have to repurchase, although I assume that iTunes support maybe able to do something here.

10. ZildjianKX

ZildjianKX Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Yup, this is exactly what happened with Critter Crunch. I'm still upset about it.

Link to thread.

11. Kuratsu

Kuratsu Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    College Student
    I'm curious if submitting a support ticket would help at all. Since you have technically already purchased it you should be able to contact an apple tech and discuss it with them. I did something like this for an app that I had technically bought when it was free and was later charged for the app. It took some arguing but I got a full refund on the purchase including tax. (Keeping the app of course.)

12. HerbertKornfeld

HerbertKornfeld Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    #12 HerbertKornfeld, Dec 20, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
    While I don't think anyone has actually done this yet, I think that there is a mechanism for this in place. I come to this conclusion from reading about the acquisition of tap tap tap's [app]Where To[/app]. They are right now in the process of selling the app to a new startup called Future Tap. Apparently, the transfer is being held up by a lot of red tape at Apple, but it is taking place. In the mean time, though, they are continuing to sell it in the App Store under the original crudentials. For this, I think a lot of credit needs to be given to both of the parties involved.

Here is tap tap tap's take on the transfer. And here are some comments from Future Tap, including this:
    As much as we seem to spit venom at developers doing the wrong thing, I think we also need to heap praise on developers who are trying to do right by their customers.

13. HerbertKornfeld

HerbertKornfeld Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Further proof that this is possible comes from developer Luc Vandal, who claims in a comment to the aforementioned article that he was able to change the seller name on his apps by hounding Apple.