Do people still buy games?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Rocotilos, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Rocotilos

Rocotilos Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    iOS Apps & Games Developer
    Or only getting free ones only? If it is free, are you willing to pay for
    in game items?

2. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    For the most part I don't get games on my phone at all any more. If I do they are ones that are not free but have gone free and usually even then I don't bother. I just don't play mobile games much any more.

3. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    At this point all my games that I get are paid.... but all my games are also digital versions of board games that I play.

4. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I use to buy digital versions of board games, but I found the digital form of them made me start disliking games I loved. When you can play a game so frequently and so rapidly, it starts to become a chore. I mean there's an addiction thing happening (for me anyway) and it drives them into the ground. So now I don't buy iPad board games any more and I don't play the ones I have. I enjoy those games SO much more played less frequently with friends or family in a house or wherever.

5. Rocotilos

Dec 5, 2009
    So what games you buy on your ipad?

6. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    As I said before, I haven't bought anything in a long time. I use my iPad occasionally for discord and browsing and stuff, but not even that much any more. I want to get a laptop as that would be a lot more useful to me now. I don't have one but don't have the funds for it right now.

7. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    For me, it just boils down to if I like the look of it, I'll get it, be it paid or free.

I have a lot less reluctance to try mobile games as the pricing is so low, if it's a free game and it's done right, I'll buy an iap.

I know a lot people won't dload free titles on principle, but the way I see it, if I'm not paying and it's rubbish then I've lost nothing but a bit of my time. I'll just delete and move on.

8. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    I buy games - but rarely for more than £1.50 ($2) and I download free ones - but I never buy IAPs unless they're in-app unlocks or level packs.

9. slighmd

slighmd Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Surgeon
    Philippines
    Except for Vainglory and Hearthstone, all games I have are premium and paid, from 0.99c upto 19.99usd. Don't really care about P2W freemium BS

10. cornbread

cornbread New Member

Dec 7, 2016
    I only play games that I have to pay.

11. Avaniar

Avaniar Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2016
    For me I rarely play free games. I am 36yo, I have an Ipod (6th gen) and an Ipad Air 1. Neither has 3g. Most free mobile games are internet dependent, so I absolutely hate free games. I think the only game I have kept installed that is free is Clash royale and that is for my kid to play (which I have replaced with riptide, dust and another paid platformer). So, basically all my installed games are paid. As to non-mobile games, I haven't got the new gen consoles (which I think are pretty bad in evolutionary terms when compared to PS2 or even to XBOX 360, which are the ones I have), so no games there (and not buying games anymore for consoles anyway). As to boardgames, I still buy them a lot. However, I think there are great boardgame replacements on digital (ticket to ride, eclipse, waterdeep, etc all very good).

12. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    Just checked the App Store and, yes, people are still buying paid games. Football Manager Mobile, a premium game, is in the top 30 highest-grossing apps on the UK charts.

That was my facetious answer. My actual personal answer is, yes, I do buy games. As I'm a sucker for a sale, I have an embarrassment of software stashed in various folders on my iPhone and iPad. Of that, less than 10% was free to download. Like previous posters, I can't bear energy systems or online requirements (don't have the data!), but I have nothing against a solid F2P game, and I'll buy IAP for things like coin doublers, ad removal or new content. Sky Force Reloaded, Super Cat Tales, Dan the Man and Bullet Hell Monday are all great examples. Then there are games such as Looty Dungeon and Nekosan which are perfectly playable as ad-supported games.

13. senkoujin

senkoujin Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Do I buy games? ABSOF******LUTELY!!!

Aside from:

-Mobius Final Fantasy
    -Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes
    -CROSSxBEATS
    -VOEZ
    -Bullet Hell Monday

My 64 GB iPad is otherwise LOADED with PREMIUM (PAID) games that I purchased for high dollar! I really need 128 GB because 64 GB just isn't enough at this point. If you see my iTunes purchase history, you'll understand. ;)

14. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    64gb is massive for me, I'm using a 16gb device so you can imagine how much deleting I do :)

15. senkoujin

senkoujin Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Oh man, you truly have my condolences; I used to have a 16GB iPad....I know the pain. >_<

16. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    I still do.... 1st gen mini. Now it is just a media viewer.

17. Rocotilos

Dec 5, 2009
    Hi cloudpuff. Interesting to read you say ppl won't download free titles. Maybe there are just too many free games.

18. Rocotilos

Dec 5, 2009
    Thanks for sharing. Now, honest answer from you: would you buy my latest game? If not, why. :D