Do iPhone and iPod touch replace the need for a PSP/DSi?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by learjetzoom, Apr 20, 2009.

?

Does the iPhone/iTouch replace the need for a PSP/DS?

1. Yes

34 vote(s)
    52.3%
  2. No

31 vote(s)
    47.7%
  1. randomdude

randomdude Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Rolando=LocoRoco
    Galaxy on Fire=Ace Combat
    Thats pretty much it. So sad

2. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    Galaxy on Fire
    The Quest
    Zen Bound
    Bobby Carrot

3. wonderva

wonderva Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    L-O-L

no.

4. RayLancer

RayLancer Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Don't get me wrong, a lot of games on the iTunes seem more on the casual side (I said a lot, not all). Nothing wrong with casual games, I love casual games. I leave the serious gaming to the other 2 handhelds. But there's nothing like having a system thats capable of going online for browsing, music, video, and acts as a personal PDA.

5. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    No, that wasn't the question. "Replace the need" is different than "replace". People will always buy those platforms. Nintendo fanboys and moms will buy their products no matter what, at the very least.

I think people underestimate the importance of Apple's content delivery system for the iPhone. It's the future. Remember how people bought music before iTunes?

6. Fleabag323

Fleabag323 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    I have not played on my DS literally since last May. (But I got my iPod in June) I was already getting kind of bored with it because there weren't any great new games coming out, and I had pretty much already beaten all of mine, so I didn't really have a portable console for then. Then I got my iPod, and it wasn't major, because there was no App Store yet. Then, finally, it came out, and it became my major gaming source.

7. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Actually, I have all 3 systems, and the truth is, for every 1 great title on either of those systems, there are at least 10 shite titles. It's no different w/ the iPhone, but it doesn't cost me $30 to find out if they suck! I can name 5 iphone titles that rival ds/psp games right now:

Zen Bound
    Sway
    UniWars
    Galaxy On Fire
    The Quest

And it's only getting better. Not to mention all the
    mind-bogglingly good music apps, like Beatmaker and Wivi Band. Let's face it! The DS gets one really good game, every two months, maybe.... And the PSP gets a game a month, period!!!!!

Oh, I forgot "Lets Golf". Better than any sports title on the DS.... Period!

8. Aeryn Sun

Aeryn Sun Active Member

Apr 9, 2009
    I would say yes, although the PSP and DS do have more in-depth games. Obviously, the iPhone wipes the DS bottom with screen and graphics, but the PSP is more on par with the iPhone in that dept. The main thing is my iPhone is with me more of the time than the other two and works well, and with the games "Warfare, Inc.", "the Quest", and "Galaxy on Fire", as well as others, it can compete as a fun platform,especially since those games are around $5 compared to $30-35 on the other two. Additionally, I HATE Nintendo now, they were my fav for a good while, but their focus on cheap shovelware games on crappy platforms, vis-a-vis the Wii and the DS, just really drove me away, Nintendo has abandoned the serious gamer for crap, and I won't support a company like that...

9. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    I love how everyone says "oh, DS will never be replaced". Well look at this, the App Store has been open for 8 or so months and it's already starting to get compared to devices that have been in the works for 3-4 years.

Really, what will the App Store be in 3-4 years? Let's compare the iPhone to DS in 4 years and see what's better. I mean really, it's like asking who's smarter a 1st grader or 6th grader (don't answer this, it's a rhetorical question :))

10. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Ok, it's being compared to other platforms. By middle-aged Yahoo! and MSN writers. Not serious web site has said anything legit about how it could potentially crush the PSP or DS. While I love the fact that my Touch can listen to music, has a gorgeous multi-touch screen, killer interface, and an awesome browser, along with enough space to carry all the game I really need. The game are fun, but their short and shallow. If devs started getting serious about the platform, and Apple started to get serious by revamping and reorganizing the AppStore, and opening up the SDK a little, it'd be awesome, but there's no game I get impatient to play if I don't have time.

11. Stykman

Stykman Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Beta Tester, Student
    United States
    i think i will actually keep my ds for long plane rides ill listen to music on my itouch but play a game on My DS

speaking of that i need to buy a new DS game
    any suggestions?

12. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Plus, the PSP is as dead as Dillinger.

13. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Yeah... Get back to me when anything as complex or compelling as Monster Hunter is on the phone. Same goes for numerous other games on both the PSP and DS.

Also, PSP is dead? As far as Japanese support it isn't what with Parasite Eve, FFXIII Agito, Kingdom Hearts prequel, MHP3 and the like. Even western support for the platform seems to be undergoing a revival. The PSP was dead, but no longer.

14. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Well, for me personally I don't think I've even turned on my DS or PSP since I got my Ipod Touch last September. And the crazy thing is I LOVE my DS and PSP. There's just too many great and interesting things happening on the App Store for me to even bother with the other 2 systems. There's more instances where the focus is fun, rather than trying to emulate a "console experience" on the go.

The PSP is a great device, but has too much unrealized potential. The thing is 5 years old and barely any of the games that come out for it have any online functionality. That to me should be an automatic inclusion in almost every PSP game. And what is up with the 90's cell phone keyboard for the web browser? Shouldn't that be one of the simpler things to fix, and I know people have been complaining about that one since day 1. But no, it's the same keyboard it was in 2005. And to me the PSP just isn't convenient to have on me at all times, unlike my Ipod which I never leave home without. I still think there's time for the PSP to turn around, there's talk of a smaller disc-driveless model coming out, with lots of onboard memory to store games. Sounds a lot like an iPhone to me, but I think that's the direction the PSP needs to go in.

As for the DS, It's a great system, much more portable than the PSP. It has tons of great games that utilize the DS's unique features. But the last year or two has seen an influx of shovelware, and really great games are few and far between. Plus, a lot of the games graphics are just terrible, and while that's not the major selling point for me in a game I do like good graphics.

The bottom line is I have limited free time for gaming nowadays, and I prefer to be most involved with Ipod gaming. I don't feel a need to even keep my DS or PSP anymore, and would gladly sell them right now. It's so much easier to get an itch for a new game, hop on the App Store, spend a few bucks (or sometimes none at all), and have my gaming fix downloaded right into my hands. No going to lame game stores, no dropping 20-40 bucks on something that might suck, no changing or carrying around game cartridges. Ipod gaming just fits the best into my life.

(The one area where I think the iPod is beat though is with fighting games, that would be a reason for me to keep the other two systems. But there's some ideas floating out there that just might rectify that problem for the iDevices in the future too.)

15. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

To answer the question, NO. iPod isn't PORTABLE gaming. It is MOBILE gaming. The games on DSi are Nintendo exclusives, and are great. The iPhone replaces the need to have a DS Lite over a DSi though.

16. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    I never use my PSP but I LOVE my DS. Rittai Picross. Enough said. It's Picross in 3D. Sometimes you need something thinner than a finger and only a stylus will do. That is my most favorite game ever in the world :D

I have tons of games I love on the DS. The Touch is mostly a quick-game machine. I rarely spend hours on one particular game (although I may spend hours going from game to game). I can spend hours on one game on the DS.

I got the DSi because I think their DSiWare store is going to be app store-huge. Everyone is moving towards digital delivery of goods. I can't wait for the Palm Pre with its app store.

17. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    Erm PSP and NDS games are more polished as they're being released as end product. Have you ever tried Pokemon Platinum yet? I've been so hooked up with it and it really helped me to stop my app addict.

18. hawks12thman

hawks12thman Well-Known Member

Most definitely.

19. s0mah

s0mah Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    failing PHY tests
    little town of bethlehem
    The Pre looks like it's going to be pretty good. I hope that the Pre succeeds just to witness all the wahwahwah from teh Apple fanatics. I'm pretty positive that all of the crying will be in the exact same key as the bawling mac users do over PCs (which seems to bear shocking resemblance to the wahwahwahs that came dripping out of the mouth's of the PS3 weaboos when Square announced dual release for FF13).

20. Lukearcade22

Lukearcade22 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Student/Young Video Game Developer
    United Kingdom
    I have had the Old DS since it came out back in 2005

I tend to use my ipod Touch more due to the fact that games can be updated and that developers anywhere can make quality games

it just proves that you don't have to be an official company to make games, anyone can do it with the right education needed for the task

I am addicted to Rittai Picross and Rhythm Tengoku Gold (japanese version of Rhythm Heaven) for the DS

And ther only games i play on my PSP is Taiko no Tatsujin Portable 2 and Me and My Katamari

so its a tough one for me :)