iPad Do graphics matter in a TD game?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by rpb1975, Feb 13, 2009.

?

How much do graphics matter to you in a TD game?

1. I only buy TD games with the best graphics

13 vote(s)
    15.1%
  2. I prefer TD games with good graphics over others

53 vote(s)
    61.6%
  3. I don't really care about the graphics...I just like TD games

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  4. It is only about the quality of the TD game...graphics don't matter

17 vote(s)
    19.8%
  1. rpb1975

rpb1975 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Texas
    I am really just posting this for my own curiosity. I own about every TD game there is for the iphone, and I notice that there are some with great graphics (7 cities, Fieldrunners), some with OK graphics (Creeps, Besiegement), and some with poor graphics (iTD, TowerDefend).

Anyway, that is just my opinion of the graphics for these games. I noticed that some people swear by iTD or Besiegement even though they are blown out of the water with graphics in other games.

So the questions is this...how much do graphics matter to you in a TD game?

2. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    Graphics aren't a factor for me in a TD game. Personally, I love iTD and it's graphics. Gameplay is the true factor.

3. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

I think the Graphics shuld not be too bad, the important things are:
    -lots of towers
    -lots of maps

4. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

I want to look at something pretty. But functionality and features and a good user interface must also be present. I like how Fieldrunners looks, but I don't play it because it lacks content. I play 7 Cities often because it has depth and looks great. Besiegement might have the best content, but it looks so ugly and controls so bad, that I lost interest immediately (I know, they are working on that!). Creeps looks nice, but similar to Fieldrunners it feels repetive and I lost interest very fast. And so it goes on and on.

Of course, the real answer to your question is "it depends". Here are many people which like Besiegement because of the content, number of towers etc. I hate it :). There are also many people who like Fieldrunners just for being easy and looking nice. Many hate Fieldrunners for being easy and offering nothing else than looking nice.

But I think, on a platform like the iPhone, which defines itself as less-is-more with a shiny OS and a shiny GUI, the different apps have to blend in nicely. Besiegment fails miserably, while many other games feel at home on this platform. They don't have to have realistic graphics like Fieldrunners, but they have to have graphics and a user interface which just "feel right". Take a look at this image: http://twitpic.com/oxyb . This is a real screenshot from a real game. I think that nothing describes this better than "EPIC FAIL". There couldn't be something more worse, something which blends less with everything the iPhone stands for, than this game. Even the weapon screen in iShoot, which includes no design at all, looks and feels better than this screenshot.

5. cptlockheed

cptlockheed Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    IT professional since the 80's
    Finland
    #5 cptlockheed, Feb 13, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
    I like the iTD graphics, I think they are very clear and they contribute to the playability. I don't think the plain graphics of td games like Mote-M, Firewall or Tap Defense matter so much. The readability is more important, and if there is anything to fix in the above games I'd hope for a bit larger graphics. 7 Cities has small graphics too, but they have managed to get the artwork just right (and the zoom helps, too).

I haven't played Fieldrunners but in the screenshots the graphics look a bit messy and busy, but guess they look better live :)

6. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    Mote-M has decent graphics, but I just couldn't get into the game. DELETED.

7. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    I don't think it really matters, but I do find it funny that in FFCD the harder levels (W-1, W-2, W-3) the character sprites seem to get more polished... Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just me???

8. voldemort

voldemort Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Graphics matter in any type of game. :D
    But it has disadvantage, like fieldrunnners, it cant have fast forward button ..

9. nightbeaver

nightbeaver Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    if you like tower defense games then you should try desktop tower defense if you havnet already. this is the first tower defense game i played and still my favorite overall. i wish someone would bring this to the idevices. in my opinion, its way better than any other TD game in the appstore even though the graphics stink.

10. butters

butters Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    What i enjoy the most about td games is when they support a good amount of maps and towers/upgrades so there is a vast difference in possible strategies. Also the game has to be somewhat balanced.

Here's the catch. Generally i don't have to have top notch graphics to enjoy a game, but if the graphics are good that can considerably up the fun. Once again to make this clearer:
    good graphics NOT EQUAL good game
    bad graphics NOT EQUAL bad game, but
    good graphics POSSIBLY better experience.

11. rpb1975

rpb1975 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    IT Consultant
    Texas
    Interesting...thanks for the insight everyone! I have read about every TD game there is for the iDevices, but I only play 3 regularly, so I was curious as to what factors TD players were looking for.

I agree that "it depends" is true for a lot of games, but I still find myself playing Fieldrunners because I like the fun explosions! :D

12. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

For bombastic explosions with GREAT sound I use Missile Command. Put your iPhone on real loadspeakers and this is insane :D. I use this when I have to work a bit more after 22:00 to keep me awake ;).

13. *Mason*

*Mason* Active Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Fergie's humps.
    I'd rather have a pretty game than an ugly one. Then again, I also want it to have good gameplay also.

14. cptlockheed

cptlockheed Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    IT professional since the 80's
    Finland
    Argh, I caved in and finally bought Fieldrunners. I was doubting it, and for a good reason, it seems. It is really pretty, but... this game is a boring slugfest! After playing 60 levels of the first map I quit.

Will try again later when I have more time.

15. VWXYZ

VWXYZ Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Im all for good graphics.

Non of the current TD games have a quality I would buy without amazing graphics (Fieldrunners is very close to a buy)

I want to see TD games was mass amount of content! at least 20 towers or compinations (branching upgrades) that totally adds up to around 100 different towers

I don't care much about different maps (its nice though), Enemy variation is a must for me too, and preferbly something creative (not just your typical slow/strong and fast/weak and flying)

Give me a TD with the mass amount of towers! And Im in! Go look on the various Flash TD games, some have a lot of cool towers!

16. Mattman

Mattman Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2009
    In the appstore graphics matter in a TD game.

17. indyraider4

indyraider4 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Features

Features definitely outweigh graphics, but graphics and price get you noticed. If you have bad graphics, no one will even look at the page, unless it is free. Seriously, look at the top hundred list for all games and look at how many have boxy pixelated graphics. maybe 1?

18. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Nope. I own both TD games for the DS, Lock's Quest and Ninjatown, and they suck. I've spent hours on The Creeps and Fieldrunners. The DS has better graphics.

19. C.S.J

C.S.J Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2008
    I just love creeps guys, i paid £2.99 for it and soon after it dropped to 0.59, a complete steal.

It doesnt bother me i paid the greater price, as its a wonderful game.

the graphics are great and its really fun to play, the levels are great.

it always cracks me up with the sound effects on creeps, that vampire is awesome. :D

thanks to the developers, for a wonderful & funny game :)

20. Graphics get you interested.
    Gameplay keeps you hooked.

Some people won't even try a game unless it has good graphics.
    Some people can't stand looking at bad graphics even if the game is fun.

So the question is, why should we have to settle for one or the other? Honestly, I think getting the gameplay right is a thousand times harder than making graphics that don't make your eyes bleed.