iPad do developers get paid when this happens??

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by max rimstain, Dec 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. max rimstain

max rimstain Member

Dec 30, 2008
    ok so if i go to one of these auction sites and buy a $100 itunes card for $22/£15 and buy a $9.99/£5.99 App does the developer actually get full payment? I know the answer is yes but where does the actual money come from??

I though the economy was sound enough to establish a products worth, example

I pay $22 for $100 credit
    I buy $10 APP with that credit
    Im actually only paying $2.2 for the APP
    But the developer is getting his 70% cut of $7 and $3 to Apple from the sale!

Where is the actual money coming from, how can you make $7 out of $2.2 for nothing and who is actually losing out on all this??

Sorry its just one of those things thats been bugging me!!

2. terrett101

terrett101 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    I assume Apple is losing out seeing as those cards are reportedly fake. Because Apple is paying the developers, and usually Apple has already recieved the money for the sale of the giftcard. But in this case they're paying out for a giftcard being spent that they never actually sold so Apple would be paying out for money they didn't ever receive.

That's how I see it at least.

3. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Somebody paid the full cost of the card. You simply got the card for less, but Apple recieved full payment for the cards.

4. daniglue

daniglue Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    #4 daniglue, Dec 30, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
    I have another question:

my cousin has a VISA prepaid card with only 4€ on it. He tried to buy SuperMonkeyBall when it was released (July) and he succeded.
    The price of the game is actually 7.99€, buy he could download the game anyway. He's having problems updating the app (iPhone keeps telling him that he has to verify his account), but that's not the point.

Did the "developer" (in this case SEGA) get his money?

5. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Well, the way I look at it, it's not like iTunes checks if you have enough money on your card or has a way to know if it's prepaid or not.
    In the end, if your cousin wants to update that app or buy any other apps, he'll have to update the account with a new credit card and he'll be charged what is still owed. If he never updates his credit card, then someone is probably out a few dollars but who, I have no idea.

6. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 19, 2008
    posted in wrong forum