Do beta installs wipe out official installs?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by BrettArchibald, Dec 17, 2008.

1. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    Not entirely sure if this is the correct section to post this in, but seeing as I'm here now... ;)

I was wondering, if I have an official release of a game already installed on my iPhone, and a developer has asked me to beta-test a newer forthcoming pre-release version of that same game, can I install the beta version alongside the official version? Or can I only have one or the other?

Second part to that same question: if I can only install one, then will the beta wipe out any progress I have made in the official version and knock out all the saved levels I have cleared? Or will it retain all my data?

Any help appreciated...
    Thanks.

2. It depends. :)
    If the app has the same application name, then it will install over the official version.
    The install process itself will not erase saved data, HOWEVER, the beta version may erase files as it might have changed file formats, save methods etc. You really should ask the dev.

3. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    Thanks for the reply.
    I was under the mistaken assumption that all ad-hoc beta distributions work the same way as each other and that the answer would be one or the other regardless of the app in question.

4. Manta Research

Manta Research Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    If the beta has the same filename, it will erase the official version. Depending on the app, it may also trash your save files (ie it depends on whether the save files for the beta are the same format as the released version or not, so it's application dependent)

If the beta has a different filename, it will coexist with the official version, and will not be able to touch or reference any of your original save files.

5. supg328911

supg328911 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    pro ping pong player!!!!
    USA BABY
    i was actually going to ask the same thing so thank you to brett for taking care of that for me:D