iPad DJ Jones: New Music Quiz Game

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Shibby, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Shibby

Shibby Active Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Hi,

I've been working hard on an iPhone game called DJ Jones and is basically a music quiz that plays a song from your iPod in the background and you have to choose which song it is. I submitted DJ Jones for approval two nights ago and now I am a little lost as to how best market the game. Can I give some of you an Ad-Hoc version to review?

I look forward to hearing from all of you.

Thanks!

Team Shibby

Attached Files:

2. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Can't you give prerelease promos once it's approved?

3. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    looks nice !
    how many questions are there or does it just look at your library ?

ps i'll review it

4. treehuggerflem

treehuggerflem Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    I'll take a look at it for you

5. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

Umm unless there are thousands of songs in the iPhone (which I doubt it has space for anyways), aren't we supposed to know our songs, especially if a tune is played?
    Oh well at least it's multiple choice, so it doesn't have the horrible answer scheme of the last quiz game released.
    Note: is your app compatible with non-English characters, since not all songs are English? I've had a lot of problems with apps not being able to display non-English characters, which is extremely annoying.

6. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    If you'd be willing to explain to me how to beta-test, I'll try it out for ya. But with only 700 song songs on my iPod, I doubt it'll be that challenging.

7. Shibby

Shibby Active Member

Jun 19, 2009
    #7 Shibby, Jun 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
    Hey all,

Thanks for the replies. I've been playing DJ Jones with 2000+ songs so the game can pretty much handle any number of songs thrown at it, and with regards to being able to display non-English characters, I believe that shouldn't be a problem as long as the character set is iPhone supported.

Its hard to describe DJ Jones without seeing it in action, so I'll be releasing a few Ad-Hoc versions after work tomorrow. And when it's finally approved sometime over the week, I will be releasing a bunch of promotional codes for everyone on this forum.

My DJ Jones App Store description below:

Do you love music? DJ Jones is a fun way to play around with your iPod music library and rediscover all the great songs you forgot you had.

Features:
    - Highly addictive music quiz
    - All music comes from your iPod music library
    - Beautiful animation and graphics
    - Stunning immersive interface
    - Made For iPhone OS 3.0
    - Regular weekly updates

Planned Future Updates:
    - Comprehensive stat-tracking
    - Music discovery/rediscovery tools
    - Global online leaderboards
    - Achievements
    - Send challenges to friends
    - New game modes
    - Multiplayer over WiFi
    - Features by requests
    (contact: schwabrX@gmail.com)

*Purchasing this game means that you are entitled to all planned future updates for free. I am dedicated to making the highest quality and most comprehensive music library game in the app store...enjoy!

8. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

Oh neat, do you mean that it can basically function as iPod app (play music/movies/MTVs/etc) in addition to quiz features?

9. Shibby

Shibby Active Member

Jun 19, 2009
    In the current version of DJ Jones, the game basically functions as both a music quiz and a simple music player. However, you will be able to see how there really is no separate music quiz and music player, but rather one cohesive app that simply functions as both. This natural flow between functions is the basic design principal of DJ Jones.

10. Shibby

Shibby Active Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Tonight at 7pm EST: I am excited to be giving out free Ad-Hoc copies of DJ Jones for review purposes. Everyone that participates will get a free copy when the game officially releases next week. Thanks in advance to all who participate, I can't wait to show you all the game.

Team Shibby

11. How does it handle regular mp3s without id3 tag. Can it still parse the filename if it's Artist - Name of Song.mp3 ?

12. Shibby

Shibby Active Member

Jun 19, 2009
    As long as iTunes can parse your song information, DJ Jones should be happy.

13. Skyr795

Skyr795 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Hmmm, looks like you are going to have some tough competition in the form of Music IQ :/

14. skamando

skamando Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Student
    Folsom, CA
    I'm sorry, this is the fourth music quiz game i've seen so far. "Name That Tune" which is free, but extremely shabby, "Jukebox" which is nice and allows for artist specific quizzes, but costs a buck, and "Music iQ" which is great, and free right now. This influx of music quizzes is ridiculous.

15. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    well may the best one win :)

16. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Yes, you can.

17. Grumps

Grumps Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Feb 2, 2009
    iOS Game Developer
    #17 Grumps, Jun 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
    I think someone may have sold off your idea. Another game with the exact idea was released today for free...Music IQ.

18. Shibby

Shibby Active Member

Jun 19, 2009
    DJ Jones is not looking to compete with the various music quizzes. The included music quiz game is just the first of many features that utilizes the technology being developed for the app. I am actually looking to compete with the iPod app because I want develop an active alternative to listening to your iPod library and the music quiz is the first of many active forms I'm developing. I am planning the development of DJ Jones to be very organic as the final form it takes will be very much in the power of the iPhone/iPod community.

I am currently giving out AdHoc distributions for anyone that wants to preview the game. Just PM me your UDID numbers and I will set you up.

Instructions on finding this number:

Go into iTunes with your device connected, click the icon under devices, click on the text that says serial number, and then press "command c" to copy the number.

19. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    or use the app udid sender

20. kgcs10

kgcs10 Member

May 1, 2009