iPad DizzyMission [Now Free]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Stykman, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Stykman

Stykman Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Beta Tester, Student
    United States
    #1 Stykman, Apr 14, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
    this one actually looks fun

Itunes Link:
    http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=311358710&mt=8

Appshopper:
    http://appshopper.com/games/dizzymission

DizzyMission is a thrilling game, where you have to control a little space ship. This is all about handling the left, right and main thrust emitter. You will need lots of skill to master all of the different missions.

All moon lander fans will love DizzyMission!

Current missions:
    - 16 moon missions
    - 4 asteroid missions

New missions are in production and will shortly be available as free update!

Like Lunar Lander????

[​IMG]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EJbfSEGFRQ

2. iFonePhanatic

iFonePhanatic Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Student
    USA
    It does look pretty good. Has anybody played it yet? I might check it out after a few members give us their thoughts in the game.

3. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    It looks like Retro except more cartoony.

4. Stykman

Stykman Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Beta Tester, Student
    United States
    i added the gameplay vid to post anyone know how to embed it??

5. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
  6. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    #6 Big Albie, Apr 14, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
    I have Retro, and after looking at the video, I'll stick with Retro where the controls are all tilt with tap thrusters.

With DizzyMission, the controls look a bit clunky with the touchbuttons.

7. anduril_ukr

anduril_ukr Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Student
    New Jersey
    [ y o u t u b e ] special sequence of numbers and letters following ?v= (yours would be 4EJbfSEGFRQ) [ / y o u t u b e ] without spaces.

ill just post it

8. iPhonePlayer

iPhonePlayer New Member

Apr 14, 2009
  9. jFND

jFND Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2009
    The description on iTunes seems to be German (I think). Any news if the in-game language will be the same or can we assume it's in English? (and no I don't mean "Ready?" "Go!")

10. iPhonePlayer

iPhonePlayer New Member

Apr 14, 2009
    it's in english

11. Karuko

Karuko Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    I have both, Retro gives you more control (tilting thrusting is fun), while in this one you can only thrust horizontally and vertically. When you're in your way and you bump on something or hit a wall, your only hope is to land anywhere since it's very hard to stabilize it. The game is much more tense because you have to go through clean, and the multi-touch for thrusting is nice.

Both games are at currently $1, so you can get both for the price of one.

12. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

Now FREE for the first time. No indicators how long it will stay like this.

13. clzander

clzander Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2008
    #13 clzander, Feb 9, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
    Not a bad game and worth picking up, especially for free and could be a decent $1 game for a brief distraction if you're into the lander-type games. As already noted in the thread, it's not quite the same as the Retro and GForce lander games as there's no usable tilt to the ship. You only thrust vertically and horizontally. As also noted, once you touch a wall and your ship starts to tilt, you effectively need to restart as there's no tilt control and thus no real way to recover. You can try to land to level out, but that likely damages your ship--see damage comment below.

The tap left or right thrusters, or both for up works well, although for some reason I had a hard time getting my mind to tap right to move right (firing the left thruster) instead of tap right to fire right thruster (and move left). I'm sure that's just a personal thing. :)

While I'd have like a few more levels already (when don't we?), my only real frustration with the game was the health system for the ship. If you land too hard--and there's a level or two that almost require this to get past--your ship is damaged. While that is understandable, there's no visible health meter to know how damaged your ship is. There are sparks and smoke which indicate deteriorating health, but more concerning is that your ship continues losing health as you fly the remainder of the level and it's unclear how much health is actually left. So, you might have a rough landing and the ship starts to spark. You continue flying the rest of the level cleanly but start seeing smoke (or don't realize it if you're not paying close enough attention). Next thing you know, your ship unexpectedly blows up. Yes, there's the transition from sparks to smoke, but no real indicator that you're about to blow up from the damage earlier in the level.

That said, it's a minor gripe and was only an issue for me on the first ice level (I believe it was). It was fun while it lasted and hopefully the new levels will actually arrive (and not need the first part of the game to be replayed since it's already removed from my device).