Universal Dive for Honour: Cold War (by ECC Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 6, 2015.

1. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Search "Dive for Treasures" on the AppStore. I just reinstalled it. It was pulled awhile back for some reason, but it's back now. I just checked.
    EDIT: lol, I just noticed your EDIT.

As far as other controls, yes, you have to do like a few steps before you can fire the torpedo. That was one of the cool things I thought. You have to open the ballast tank (lol, I think that's what it's called.), then load the torpedo, close the hatch, fill with water, then open the other hatch and fire. It's something along those lines. I stopped playing for now because I kept fighting with the controls on my phone. I have it downloaded on my iPad now, but haven't tried it.

I'm really surprised the devs havent chimed in here. They were pretty active about promoting this game and I remember talking to them quite a bit on DfT.

2. Dorota ECC GAMES

Dorota ECC GAMES Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2015
    Junior Producer in ECC GAMES
    Due to the change of the company's name, not all of our games have been moved to our new profile yet. We are sorry for the inconvinience.
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/eccentricity/id388656640 - here you can find Dive for Treasures.

The game is fullscreen on all supported devices.

As for now, only American side is available. We are planning to add Soviet campaign.

Experience-based Multiplayer lets to unlock up to 12 different submarines which can be controled in Deathmatches.

3. djstout

djstout Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Sportscaster & football (soccer) coach
    Taiwan & Japan
    Great to see the Dev here, so will you update and fix the controls soon? Seems like the controls are too stiff and the submarine feels heavy, to be honest I haven't downloaded it yet as I would like this game to have better controls

4. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #44 VirtualBoyFreak, May 11, 2015
    Last edited: May 11, 2015
    The controls are great once you get used to them. I've been playing the first level twice (mini review ASAP) because I tend to go too fast and they discover me, but it's not a problem of the controls, just me being too fast. Maybe I was too conditioned by the comments here and I was expecting a disastrous set of controls, but they're in fact quite good.

One thing which helps: Once you get to control the left/right and up/down twin sticks, you can move your finger down in the left/right stick and right in the up/down stick WITHOUT lifting the finger, to see the exact energy you're giving to each stick. If you lift the finger, you need to grab the stick again, and then you can move the finger to a more comfortable position to see the indicators.

@Devs: maybe you could make the area where you "hook" each stick a bit bigger, so that it's not so critical to regain control of the sub. IMHO, it feels as if the game was designed for iPad, but in the end was also "iPhone compatible" so that more people could play. I'm playing on a 4S and I struggle to read the mission texts on the map, but the game works great.

I haven't played much yet, but I'll state my first impressions here:

The good:

1. the feeling of controlling a "real" submarine. They have weight and inertia. Go too fast, and you'll struggle to stop it.

2. The fact that you have to do all the process of loading the torpedo, etc. before shooting, as well as the sim aspect (you have to fix the different parts of the submarine when you receive damage).

3. You can activate & deactivate the water effect in the settings menu. It looks cool, but I'd rather play without it.

The bad:

1. I feel the single player campaign is going to be a bit on the short side. I only see 7 missions, and since the dev has already stated there's no Russian side, I guess we only have those 7 missions.

2. Savepoints: we need savepoints mid-mission. I've just spent 30 minutes non-stop for mission 3, and haven't noticed anywhere to save. This is a mobile phone, I think it needs more places to save.

3. AI difficulty too easy: you hit a submarine and as long as you're still, they don't move. That's way too easy.

The improvable:

1. control "hooking" (i.e. The area which detects the finger press and gives you control of each stick) is too small, at least on the iPhone 4S.

2. More single player missions, even if it was a multiplayer match with AI and a random map.

3. Turning the submarine around. I'm not sure how I did it once, but there could be a specific button to change the subs orientation 180°.

4. Increase AI difficulty.

5. More save points.

In any case, I feel the game is quite good (4*) and has a lot of potential (could easily get 5* with a few tweaks and improvements here and there).

5. Dorota ECC GAMES

Dorota ECC GAMES Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2015
    Junior Producer in ECC GAMES
    We'll consider optimization of the controls.

VirtualBoyFreak, thank you very much for this comprehensive feedback! We really appreciate it. We will consider all of the points you've mentioned about.