Distant Star: an old-school space 4x game.

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Doches, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Doches

Doches Active Member

I'm just wrapping up a port of (previously iPad-only) Distant Star to the iPhone, and I'm looking for beta testers to help me make sure it's solid before the release. Distant Star is a throwback to classic 4x space games like Master of Orion and Spaceward Ho!, mixed in with some of the better ideas from Sword of the Stars and Civ V. The beta I ran here on TouchArcade for the original iPad version was really great (you guys are awesome!), so I thought I'd give it another go before the iPhone release.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

If this sounds like your cup of tea and you'd like a chance to help steer the game in a particular direction, reply below and I'll try to get you in on the beta. I'm posting regular updates and such over on the game's development log as well.

2. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    I LOVE 4X games! Especially Sins of a Solar Empire on PC.

A few questions:
    Is this primarily a singleplayer game?
    If not, will it have a singleplayer mode? (I don't play those 'freemium' games)
    Can you give me a brief description of the gameplay and mechanics? (I haven't played Master of Orion)
    Will this be turn-based or real-time?

3. Doches

Doches Active Member

A few answers:

• At the moment it's singleplayer-only, and I can't imagine ever making it (ick) freemium. I didn't write Distant Star to make tons of money; I wrote it because there aren't nearly enough 4X games out there for iOS.
    • It may become multiplayer (either same-device or over wifi) someday, but not in this update. Or the next one I've planned. I'd really enjoy building a multiplayer version, though...
    • Mechanics-wise it's most similar to Sword of the Stars sans the whole tactical ship combat bit; I've heard it described as a turn-based, slower-paced Galcon.

4. RayLancer

RayLancer Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    I am interested! I love the simple pixel art for the ships and the fonts.

5. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Thanks for the reply. Please count me in for beta testing.

I also agree with you, there aren't nearly enough 4x games on iOS. Other 'space strategy' games are just typical RTS or TBS games with a sci-fi setting.

6. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Wow... this is great news; I'd be in for beta testing although I am a beta newbie.

7. tonydeli7

tonydeli7 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Freelance Computer Engineer
    Greece
    I'm also interested... Count me in!

8. DusT_HounD

DusT_HounD Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    @Doches:
    Looks very interesting- hope that the beta goes smoothly and we see it on the store soon!

I'd volunteer for testing, but am useless at 4x games, so will be content to sit back and watch this thread! Best of luck!

9. Dorian

Dorian Member

Dec 18, 2010
    I've always been a fan of 4x games. Would be more than happy to beta test this game.

10. Garbagemaster

Garbagemaster Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Looks cool:) Wish I had time to be a beta-tester, but it'll probably be an insta-buy for me. Good luck!

11. drez

drez Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Wow, looks great! I'd love to test if you still have any open spots!

12. kzwen

kzwen Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Nice! Good to know that it won't ever be freemium. Would love to beta.

13. Doches

Doches Active Member

#13 Doches, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
    Hurrah! Ok, folks, here's the idea:

• You send an email to [email protected] with your UDID and iPhone model (3G, 3GS, 4).
    • I'll send you a beta build of the game.
    • You play it.
    • You let me know what's good, what's bad, what's broken, and what could be made better.
    • I'll work like mad to fix bugs / add features.
    • When the update is released, I'll put your name in the credits and, if you'd like, name a star system after you. I'll also send you a promo code for the game.

Sound fair? If so, shoot me an email with your device ID and model, and we'll get going. The easiest way I've found to do that is to install something like http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ad-hoc-helper/id285691333?mt=8 and send the email that it generates.

14. sonryhater

sonryhater Member

Oct 10, 2009
    I'd love to help beta Distant Star. Stars! was the first 4x game I played and was sad to see distant star for iPad only. If you are interested, dm me and I can send you my details.

15. Arkais

Arkais Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2010
    It's amazing that there are not more 4x games for the iPhone! I have been a huge fan of these games for years and having one in my pocket makes this an insta buy for me. Sending my email now!

16. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    I really liked MoO2 back in the day, so I'm glad to see an iOS game from the same genre. Good luck to you.

17. Doches

Doches Active Member

Betas away!

Ok, folks -- the second round of betas are away. I've written a post describing what's changed as a result of the first round (thanks, folks!). You guys totally rock, by the way; the feedback I'm getting from TouchArcaders is just consistently fantastic.

Another few days for the second round testers to confirm that I haven't broken anything in these last updates, and we should be good to go. Good times!

18. emaddox

emaddox Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Male
    I would love to have the chance to beta test this game for you!

19. phattestfatty

phattestfatty Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    wait, so are you still accepting beta testers? because if you are, I'm in! (even though I've never played this type of game: there's always a first! haha)

20. RayLancer

RayLancer Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Hmm.... guess I didn't make it into the beta pick. Hope everything turns out well for the game :)