iPhone Distant Star -- an Old-School 4x Space Game for iPad

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Doches, Oct 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doches

Doches Active Member

I'm gearing up for the first release of Distant Star, a 4x (explore, expand, exploit, exterminate) space game. It's a giant, touch-based love letter to classic 4x space games like Master of Orion and Spaceward Ho!, mixed in with some of the better ideas from Sword of the Stars and Civ V. The game is almost done -- I'm putting the finishing touches on the AI as you read this -- and I'm looking for a double-handful of eager old-school gamers to give it a good beta-testing.

[​IMG]

There's a ton more screenshots over at my dev blog for the game, where I'm posting regular updates. If you're interested, take a look -- and if you want to get your hands on a pre-release copy (and help make the final game even better!) let me know!

I'm aiming for an early-November release, so keep your eyes peeled for updates on Distant Star over the next few weeks!

2. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    #2 FPE, Oct 21, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
    Seems something something I would like, let me know if can help testing help.

F.

3. MeteorFlare

MeteorFlare Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    if you'd like some beta testing help, I wouldn't mind offering my services!

4. KoolKing

KoolKing Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Valrico, FL
    I would be up for helping test as well. Always looking to recapture that old-school PC feel.

5. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Holy crap, I'd love a hardcore 4X game on the iPhone!

If only I had time to play it, I'd be thrilled to help test... :(

Keep us informed, I'll definitely pick this up when it comes out, time to play or no. ;)

6. nyklon

nyklon Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2010
    I'll beta test. I've been waiting and drooling for some old school moo style 4x for my ipad since i got it! can't wait

7. magihiro

magihiro Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    I've never beta tested before, but I'd be willing to help.

8. simulated

simulated Active Member

Aug 11, 2009
  9. Doches

Doches Active Member

Beta

The first round beta is out! If you're still interested in playing an early version of the game, send me a PM and I'll get you in on the second round.

In the meantime, what are some cool features that you think the game needs to include? Right now I'm working on tracking a bunch of stats (in preparation for supporting GameCenter achievements), but I'd love to hear some ideas from you guys on what a 4x game like this needs to have, or what neat things you liked from other 4x games. Talk to me!

10. magihiro

Mar 26, 2009
    Randomization! A different map every time I play, please!

And multiple difficulties.

11. simulated

simulated Active Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Things I'd like to see:

- Multiple paths toward victory -- combat, diplomacy, cultural domination, etc. This adds both to the re-playability, as well as supporting different playing styles. I always tried to play MOO2 to a diplomacy win if possible.

- Races that are really different, not just different skins and a couple of trait plusses and minuses. Example: I loved how in Space Empires you could have races that were gas giant dwellers, which meant that they could co-exist in systems with rock planet species (until late in the game when terraforming tech was developed -- then all bets were off). Alternate tech trees for different races might be too much to ask for (and too hard to balance), but hey, you asked.. :D

- Surprises! Add some interesting and unexpected events/discoveries (eg. ancient artifacts, space plagues, rare tech that isn't on the standard tech tree, etc).

12. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    A good presentation with a nice campaign. I heard ascendency is also being ported to the iPad so you might have some stiff competition by the end of the year. Just make sure it's good.

13. simulated

simulated Active Member

Aug 11, 2009
    I hadn't heard Ascendancy was coming! (Started a separate thread about it here.)

The more space 4x games on iOS, the merrier, as far as I'm concerned.

14. magihiro

Mar 26, 2009
    I sent my UDID and all, but didn't receive an email back. :/

15. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Some received a build. I sent my feedback ... Never heard again.
    I wonder were the dev is myself.:confused:

16. Doches

Doches Active Member

@magihiro, FPE -- I'm here, man, I'm here! The feedback from the first round of betas was astounding; unfortunately, I tried to work in as many of the fixes and suggestions I received before I answered anyone, and it ended up taking me the better part of a week and a half. But it's done now, and I sent out another (second, probably final) build a couple of days ago. If you didn't get one (and you'd like to!), let me know -- I think I answered all of the feedback emails I received, but I may have missed one or two.

@simulated I really, really want to have all of those things -- but at the moment, they're mostly going to have to wait. I've got a framework for multiple, different races, but I'm having a hard enough time balancing one race as it is. My plan is to wait and get some more data/feedback from the human-only version, then release additional races as (free) updates later on. As far as multiple paths to victories goes, Distant Star is minimalist by design, and I want to keep things (relatively) simple. In GalCiv or Civ * I'm usually a cultural victory kind of guy, myself -- so I'd definitely like to include some non-combat victory paths if I can.

Surprises, though? I like that idea. *goes away to code*

@Stirolak26 Ascendancy! Very cool -- I'm writing Distant Star because I want to play a 4x space game on my iPad, so I'm thrilled to hear there's more on the way. Democrytus looks pretty cool, too...

17. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    I did not receive anything ....

18. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Thanks to iDos I'm playing Ascendancy on my iPad right now! And running Stars! on Windows 3.1 too!

Does this mean I'm not spending as much time developing Democrytus? Possibly... :D

+1 for 4x space strategy games! I see this as the beginning of a revival!

19. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Ok, this is not fitting here but how did you get it working? Mine freezes!!! plssss

20. magihiro

Mar 26, 2009
    Go! Get to it!