iPad Disney Puzzle Family (An Overlooked Puzzler)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Maythius, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Maythius

Maythius Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Hey everyone! I was absolutely shocked to see that this game has been getting no attention. I was in the need for another app purchase (I must say I have a problem) And I picked this game up. All I can say is WOW!

here is the link: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=313436700&mt=8

I'm actually a "collect everything" psycho when it comes to video games, and there is just so much content to be found in this title. There are ten games with purchasable difficulties, and purchasable items to customize your avatar. There also appears to be online ranking (which I have yet to confirm).

What really strikes me about this title is the presentation. The graphics are fun and colorful; character really shines throughout the menus and gameplay.

This game is a "must buy" if you are a Puzzle League fan. Disney Puzzle Family has my thumbs up recommendation :)

2. STP_Tim

STP_Tim Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Its ok... a little too simple for my liking. We have a review over at STP... can't link it :p

3. Maythius

Nov 3, 2008
    Yes I read the review, and I don't entirely agree with it. The concept of the puzzles may be simple, but the game ranks up in difficulty quickly.

4. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    I put this on my snipe list, when it released, so thank you both for your reviews.

5. minkywhale

minkywhale Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    looks interesting, think I will add this to my ever growing list of 'apps to get'. love disney and so do my kids. i hadn't seen it before this post. thanx :)

6. LordGek

LordGek Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Do the collected items have any gameplay effects? I hate flash without substance.

7. Maythius

Nov 3, 2008
    yes the items provide simple advantages. Slowing down the timer is an example :)

8. LordGek

LordGek Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    How about cool powerups within each of the games?

9. Maythius

Nov 3, 2008
    #9 Maythius, Jun 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
    Yes during the game there are several items that appear. Items that destroy columns or destroy all of the same color. There are also traps the make the game difficult as well

Each game also has hidden missions that you can accomplish to earn items

I can also confirm that there are leaderboards :)

I rank 43 in the "All Ranking" category

10. LordGek

LordGek Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Lastly, I'm assuming these are all randomized Tetris like games, not a series of pre-scripted puzzles (like Trism's Sylogism)?

11. Maythius

Nov 3, 2008
    you are correct

12. LordGek

LordGek Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Good enough, I'm sold...now let me see if I feel the need to come after you later for sending me down the wrong path! :D

13. Maythius

Nov 3, 2008
    I will tell you one bad thing about this game. It is very unforgiving about collecting stars. Prepare to become an expert at the game you unlock in order to collect a lot of stars.

14. LordGek

LordGek Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Do you always have to do MORE to get to stars in a game next time? I found it easy enough to collect 11 stars in just a few games...but will I have to acheive bigger and bolder feats for a chance to collect them again? What do stars get you?

I thank you, Maythius, this is good fun so far with lots of weird secrets to unlock. How do I actually SEE the missions available in a given game (is it really only through looking up the individual items in the store)? I see that items affect your I, P, G, etc. but I'm not really getting the graphs for each item. I'm assuming item effects stack, right? So I might eventually find a costume that will, say, slow down the timer significantly if ALL of my clothing items have such an effect?

Lastly, what the HECK is the deal at the end of the game when, underneath my score at the end, there is some little thought cloud with "Mary's Umbrella" and I get some sort of plus to my Exp. How do I see each family member's current level and what does that affect in the game?

15. LordGek

LordGek Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Light just went on in this regard!

I just collected maybe 100 or so after a few games and unlocking a new game costs at least 800!

This will take some work, but, no worry, it's all cute and goofy.

What, Maythius, do you think is the most stars you've ever gotten in a single game?

What is the significance of the Rejuvenator that gives 100 xps? Did I unlock it once I GAINED 100 xps or is it something I need to use to get 100 xps? Are XPs = Stars or Points?

From the title, "Disney Puzzle Family" I would have expected to be playing a game with cameos from Mickey and the gang but really the only Disney connection appears to be in the items you're earning and purchasing. So it's more about Disney merchandise than the many Disney characters themselves.

I've unlocked these three games so far:

Stack, Mom
    Cards, Lil Sis
    Numbers, Lil Bro

My characters are all Pinocchio hatted goofs with fins for ears holding little bottles of Rejuvenation. :confused:

16. kyletrail

kyletrail Well-Known Member

May 13, 2009
    Stay at home dad.
    Kansas City, MO area
    pretty great game

I bought this puppy right when it was released. After an issue post installing recent ATT update, it clunked out on me and then it took a cool 10 days for Disney to patch it.

Since then, it's been gaming goodness. I will whine a tad about the amount of time it takes to get that 4th game open. well worth it though. upgrades achieved and all that good stuff are a puzzle game nerd's dream.

enjoy!

17. Maythius

Nov 3, 2008

I think I've gotten over 50 stars in one game :p it was the Baby bro counting one. I can't recall but I think I went as far as lvl 23. This game is really addictive. I'm kind of glad they are demanding with the stars, because it feels more rewarding when can buy a new game.

btw if you unlock hard mode (by scoring over 3000 in any game) you can play that game on hard by paying 10stars. that may seem like a lot, but when you start the star combos, you get double the stars!

18. Maythius

Nov 3, 2008
    I lied... I actually got 94 stars in one game on Pop it, Grandpa :D

19. LordGek

LordGek Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Aha, I'll unlock him next!

Just got Dad's Level Line and, dang, that is a hard one to really score big points in for me!

20. LordGek

LordGek Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Hey Fellow Freaks!

Is it safe to assume when it comes to item stat modification graphing up is always better?

P: increasing level of the time gauge
    G: reducing the countdown speed of the time gauge
    S: reducing the speed of new blocks appearing
    I: reduces likelihood of obstacles

So something that really raises my "P" would mean I start with a bigger bonus on the time gauge?