Universal Disney Magic Kingdoms (by Gameloft)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by touchy85, Mar 16, 2016.

1. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    #41 GregB, Mar 17, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
    Meh a nd Done

The first 45 minutes were ok and I could recommend it to my friends with young kids. Then the timers jumped to an hour or more to complete anything without a clear line of sight to what I have to pay to get past the timers long term and I was done.

Did I miss something? Thoughts?

2. bigghurt

bigghurt Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2012
    The time was short because it was the tutorial period. Most games do this to get you acclimated to the ways of playing the game then they start the timers. Also one thing no one is mentioning that unlike Simpsons and family guy there are no pay to play characters so far where as the other two had pay to play after the tutorial.

3. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    You've probably missed the last few years on iOS if you didn't already know that was coming.

There are countless games like this and many are top grossing games, I never pay to skip timers and it doesn't stop play on most games if you do not spend.

Honestly these games aren't meant to be played for hours on end they are quick fixes here and there, good for when you have a spare few minutes and sometimes for longer.

4. tekchic

tekchic Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Female
    Software Developer
    Phoenix, AZ
    This has been fairly fun so far (taking it for what it is). I don't buy "gems"/IAP stuff, so the level of repeated nag screens will be a factor on whether I keep it around or not. It's kinda fun to pop in there a couple of times a day and see what's going on.

I'm just wishing for the glittery unicorn of Disney themed Roller Coaster Tycoon 2. That would be awesome.

Sidebar: I was thrilled to see that Ys Chronicles 2 is "bundled" so I only had to pay $2 last night (since I'd already purchased Ys Chronicles 1 when it came out way back when. Yay for bundling!).

5. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    #45 ste86uk, Mar 17, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
    I got the items for pre registering and it's cool how the hat building actually gives hats to visitors and you can see some of them wearing them. It's a nice touch, would be cool if other stores in the future so similar.

Also I'm being dumb at the minute and can't find how to switch to the AU store, anyone have a link please?

6. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Yeah, from what it looks like so far most things can be bought with in-game currency. The premium currency is only used for the impatient. To speed up wait times and to purchase things that aren't unlocked yet. I could be wrong, but if that's the case, than its a pretty fair system IMO.

7. Anova

Anova Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 14, 2012
    Echoing others. Production values are through the roof, visual, music and voice acting. Story is cute for as long as it lasts.

As a Simpson/ family guy like game it brings nothing new to the table. IAP seems expensive but, like those games, I don't know that you need to buy anything or that you'd have more fun if you did.

The game is perfect for people who really love Disney, kids, or most likely the parent/kid combo.

If that does sound like you, my guess is this is a long haul invesmtent. There is every reason to think they'll be putting out content updates for months or years and long as they have a following.

8. sbirksy666

sbirksy666 Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2012
    Am I missing something here? I can't move items or buildings after when I placed them, I have tried taping once and twice rapidly I have tried holding down my finger and nothing annoying the hell out of me because I don't have enough space to place the next building to move on with the story

9. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    If iap bothers people I'm sure someone will hack it soon anyway if they haven't already. I have everything iap in the Simpsons and didn't buy any of it.

Unsure if the forum condones me posting that? Although I'm sure most people are aware of it anyway

10. pixeldunce

pixeldunce Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2016

Lmao

11. Devok

Devok Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2013
    Reason games are free are so they can be tried, and if you like it, you can make a further payment which is good, better than paying for an expensive game and f u didn't like it, bad luck you just wasted money.

12. Brawwwn

Brawwwn Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2015
    This game is actually very true to Disney. On the surface it is very magical, but dig a little deeper and you'll realize it just wants your money, and be prepared to wait for everything. It's a learning lesson for kids... Disney ain't cheap and yeah, be prepared to wait in line for 2 hours for a ride that lasts 90 seconds.

13. Durduhdur

Durduhdur Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    Graphically this game is awesome. BUT As far as a city builder you get every single f2p trapping there is. I wanted to give it a little bit to see what kind of timers I'd be up against and already at level 7. I've ran into a few 6 hour timers. Ouch...I also had actually planned on buying characters IF the prices were fair but they aren't. Pluto for example is a 4$ unlock...WITH the promotion then your spending another 5$ for his house. This has awesome Disney stuff but the rest is all very bad. On top of it all I had hoped for a more free form way to build my park but they really only let you fill in the gaps, that's kind of a disappointment. All in all - deleted.

14. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    You mean the 1 whole character that is there to be purchased from what I've seen?

The timers are normal I get tired of hearing people bitch about them I really do it's the same stuff all the time, the game seems pretty fair with its monetisation.

Going to try and stop reading this thread now though as I hoped to talk to people about the game but you just hear the same shit constantly here about f2p

15. Durduhdur

Durduhdur Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    Go and play a roller coaster tycoon game and then come and tell me this game is a park builder. Pluto is one of many "premium" over priced characters. Also on timers - they aren't bad at all. I have a whole folder of games I hop around on with timers. I expected the timers to gradually climb in a way that made more sense. Big structure that opens up more story id assume would take longer. This game has you goin from a 3 min timer to build to 6 hours. I didn't like that. So please elaborate on this "game" I'm very curious to hear about all the great things you have to say about it.

16. matteopico

matteopico Active Member

Oct 16, 2015
    The game is good but 6 hours timers are way tooo long!

17. Themagicjesus

Themagicjesus Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2012
    You hear the same shit because we are tired of terrible timers. I don't play games so I can wait to play later

18. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    Don't download it, don't play it and don't come here to comment then you must have known exactly what it was.

As for the other comment about Roller Coaster Tycoon I loved RCT2 and played it endlessly but this is a different kind of game. It suits me because often I'm working and have little spare time apart from on days off and this makes the day pass quicker for me. The timers mean even when I only get a minute or few here and there I have something to do and still make progress because I don't always have hours to sit and play games.

It's nice to look forward to it grabbing a minute here and there during work and at other times, I know it's not for everyone but there are other games that you can play endlessly if you want anyway. Not every game is the same if it were what would I do with my spare few minutes here and there?

I thought it was an odd choice of starting characters available on the game with Toy Story, Monsters Inc and Wall E I guessed maybe they wanted more recent Disney characters for younger people and the same with Tangled. I would have thought they would use some older ones though like Beauty and The Beast, Snow White and the seven dwarfs, lady and the tramp, jungle book....there's countless Disney ones to pick. Plus if they were going for newer ones why not Frozen that's the most popular these days?

At least there's a huge catalog for them to chose from to add in future!

19. Themagicjesus

Themagicjesus Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2012
    It's a public forum. I, and others, will definitely come here to complain if the timers are ridiculous and will continue to do so despite people like you supporting mediocre games and trying to shut out anyone who doesn't think positively of the game

20. EvilDucktator

EvilDucktator 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Sep 28, 2011
    Walt Disney World Cast Member
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hold your finger down on the object until the halo appears around it. You cannot move or rotate a building if a character is performing an action inside.