iPad disgusted

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by menotu, Feb 10, 2009.

1. menotu

menotu Member

Feb 10, 2009
    Hi
    Just wondering if anyone else is disgusted with apple support, and the amount of Just Junk apps etc.
    I thought apple was going to monitor the quality of games, etc.. but obviously not. iVomit ??????
    I know I don't have to purchase them but it's getting tiring going thru all the garbage..
    more and more I'm thinking this unit is just a DS Lite on Steroids.

2. lordofbbq

lordofbbq Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    If there's an opportunity for money, then why not add crappy apps to make money? Apple doesn't mind, because they eventually make more, and it makes the app store larger. It's all about greed.

3. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    welcome to TA, nice to have ya.....

4. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    first: welcome.
    second: you are absolutely right. i have to admit, that once i bought a junk-kind-of-app/game... iFart. never again, that was a sin.

5. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Well he does have a well reasoned point, though it is a point that has been repeated ever since last year. Pointless to go through it all again so I'll just say this to the topic creator, basically the crux of it all is if Apple is still insistent on little-to-no concept approval then a better means of filtering the App store is the best answer. How to go about that better means of filtering is still up in the air though.

6. appreviewer

appreviewer Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    the app store is messy as sin. But we've already had tens of these threads. It has been discussed already - over and over again.

7. tadad1

tadad1 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Uranus
    iDisgusted. There is so much iCrap that I don't even bother with the appstore, appshopper or even appsniper anymore. I figure TouchArcade will feature the best of the best and I just make my choices from those.

8. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

Certainly not--nobody ever said that, including Apple...they have some guidelines for how apps should behave technically, but "must be a decent game" isn't one of them. (Mind you, the guidelines they do have aren't always applied consistently.) There would have been a huge outcry if Apple was to judge what's "good" or not, because it's so arbitrary in a lot of cases.

--Eric

9. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    If a farting app can become #1 and bank huge bucks for both developer and apple, why would apple not allow an ivomit app?

I personally think the farting/burping apps are beyond stupid and a waste of money and waste of app store space but considering it went to #1, what in the world do I know?

10. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Yes, if apple was going to moniter what was "decent", then there would be more of an outcry from devs.

11. vandy1997

vandy1997 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2008
    NJ
    I'm waiting for iDump myself. I'm sure that it's in the queue!! Haha!! :D

I posted this in the wrong thread before - Haha!!

12. nickels

nickels Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Web Developer / Designer
    PA, USA
    If only someone would create a forum where we could meet other iPhone/itouch users to discuss what games are good and which ones stink.

13. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Really, an outcry? Because I don't see that happening in other sectors of the industry. Sony and Microsoft both have concept approvals in place and it does little harm to them (despite some silly one-off rules in theirs approvals)... but it is about balance.

Sony can mess it up because their worldwide departments have all these different rulesets (SCEA doesn't like straight ports, are very critical on games that do no exploit the system to the fullest, whereas SECE and SECJ have no such things). Apple doesn't suffer from this as far as I can see, as rulesets only derive from one place with them.

Surely setting just one line of approval isn't that bad... just to make sure no-effort apps like the ones we are all too aware of aren't too commonplace.

14. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    I thought it wasn't about trying to figure out what was good, rather it is about trying to control the overwhelming number of apps released, as it can create a stagnant market in time. That it can affect other well-efforted apps from having their time in the spotlight. That recent comment from Apple of "the cream will rise"... it normally doesn't ever work that way.

15. nickels

nickels Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Web Developer / Designer
    PA, USA
    Also, what's with all the terrible games on the intellivison, the SNES, the PS1, 2, and 3, the Sega 32x, the SegaCD, Nintendo 64, NeoGeo, Atari, Nintendo DS, PSP, Gameboy.... etc...

Every system has its fair share of garbage.

16. menotu

menotu Member

Feb 10, 2009
    Hi
    I think I'm more disappointed because for some strange reason I've always thought of Apple as a company who was concerned about it's users, products, etc.. now I know different..should have expected they are no better than Microsoft.
    welcome to corporate america, I guess

17. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    The fact of the matter is that the "big guys" either don't know a good game better than anyone else or they don't care. After all, "content approval", or at least the guise thereof, has been around since the days of the original NES. Anyone recall the Nintendo "seal of approval"? Look at all the good that did :)

18. butters

butters Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Just to prove your point. ;)

[​IMG]

19. Wearenet

Wearenet New Member

Jan 19, 2009
    I liked friday the 13th, I mean you had to find his mothers head in a cave ffs.

20. GDSage

GDSage Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    #20 GDSage, Feb 10, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
    Again, that is not the point. Every system has its glut of such no-effort titles, especially the industry leading system but even then that is nothing (really, nothing) compared to the amount on the App store.

The actual point of concept approval is not to rid of what the industry refers to as "shovelware", but to go someway to curbing an overwhelming amount of it. It doesn't completely remove "shovelware" from the industry but it does control its presence to a certain extent so that it doesn't swamp the market and thus eventually create consumer disinterest.

Nintendo once had concept approval (indeed, they are the ones that first put it in place for the industry), but ever since the Wii they have removed it so the system now only has technical approval. What has this led to? An overwhelming amount of "shovelware" on the Wii, to the extent that most "shovelware" is now being directed from the 360 and PS3 to the Wii, which has only considerably increased the amount on the platform.

Concept approval was put in place after the Atari crash to ensure a market does not become stagnant (like the Atari market) with an overwhelming amount of cheap, little-effort products... an overwhelming amount of cheap, little-effort products, what does that remind you of?

Before anyone says, that is not to suggest the app store will go the same way, but if it just continues as it is there is a very real possible risk of it. "No control" or "free market" seems fantastic on paper, but it very rarely works in the long term.

EDIT: Oh well, so much for not delving into this matter again... but to add, this is not to suggest free control cannot work. For example, the App store would be a whole lot better if its setup and filtering was better defined.