iPad Disgusted with Iron Man and Lego Batman

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vende, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    #1 Vende, Dec 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2008
    This two games are just terrible - in particular the Batman one - and I am really upset that the companies didn't bother making true ports or even original versions for the iphone/touch. If the iphone/touch is to be treated as a true mobile console, then crap like this shouldn't stand, as the two titles probably screwed a number of impulse buyers and are poor reflections of the iphone's capabilites and often trusting relationship with the developers (you think ngmoco would let that stand???). Goodwill is something that's very difficult to repair, and I don't want to see consumers swindled,- which could cause future distrust towards other, legitimate iphone developers - because an average consumer probably believes that a Legos Batman game is...just that and not some lame compilation of dull puzzles that even my nephew couldn't stand.

I am actually offended by the games - they remind me of those terrible third party titles feauturing an anime Link for the CDi (I think that's the console. The Angry Video Game Nerd recently did a pretty good review). And at least there was some actual game play in those games as opposed to Iron Man's frozen point and shoot and...whatever the f is going on in Lego Batman.

Ironman PSP $19.99

Ironman iphone $7.99

2. Having not played either game, I can only go by what others have said. Iron Man does have a bit of a following. Sure, some people don't like the simplicity, but others do. And at least they have attempted to create nice graphics/sound etc. I think this games worth boils down to personal preference. I actually quite like the look of it.
    As for Lego Batman, I completely agree. A completely lazy attempt by the looks of it.

3. diffusion8r

diffusion8r Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Termina
    This ties in with my argument about overpriced games - these cost a lot of money, yet they suck. I bet the OP feels short changed because of this, and thus lazy games like these should have a lower price.

4. Yes it also ties in with what I said on that thread, that sometimes it boils down to personal preference. Some people have bought Iron Man and are pleased with their purchase. Can't say the same about LB though.

5. along123

along123 Well-Known Member

I didn't buy both of this games soooo.. no comment. :D

6. synagence

synagence Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Star Wars force unleashed was another that had promise but failed to deliver

7. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    #7 Vende, Dec 22, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
    I impulse purchased Lego Batman (almost crapped myself when I saw it was released on toucharcade) and bought Iron Man due to some mixed reviews. Iron Man is definitely a better game and has some pretty graphics; still, it's a huge disappointment and Lego Batman goes beyond pathetic.

8. In your opinion, does it disappoint as a game in it's own right (in other words is the game flawed with what it is trying to achieve?), or does it disappoint because you are comparing it to the console versions?

9. Lunchbox

Lunchbox Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    i havent tried that whats bad about it, i was thinking of buying it but keep seeing these comments saying its crap, kinda glad now :D

10. synagence

synagence Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Its not that its particularly bad .... its just that its not particularly good.

Very average ... static backdrops with a 3d character running around with a few force moves which kinda get repetitive and its way short.

11. mgondek

mgondek Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    I agree. I liked the star wars game but the length was way to short.

12. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    I was disappointed with the Iron Man game because it should have had free flight - why else would you play Iron Man. I read the intial review on toucharcade when the game came out and saw some of the earlier posters express disbelief and disappointment with the tilt-only controls; as such, I wasn't surprised by the gameplay. Regardless, the game still sucks - it's very dull - and I'm hoping, though doubting, that there may be some kind of major update where he can actually move in some kind of 3d environment.

13. Lunchbox

Lunchbox Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    thats a shame, im glad we're getting some better quality releases now tho

14. blakespot

blakespot Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Blogger, Reviewer
    Alexandria, VA (USA)
    As I mentioned in the look at Iron Man, I like the shooting action it presents - particularly as the difficulty, as the game progresses, makes for a challenge.

But I admit I was unaware at the time of writing as to just how much deeper the PSP release goes than the iPhone version. Is this a case of the developer feeling that a full version could not be profitable at $9.99 or under?

I look forward to a developer bringing a truly deep title that commands a justified > $9.99 price tag. I don't think that iPhone gamers will run from higher priced titles if it is justified.

( See: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=2597 )

blakespot

15. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

Could well be the case with devs not wanting to take a risk on the iPhone/Touch, especially considering the $1 game issue. But that doesn't excuse making a poor game. If they at least get some fun gameplay, a decent amount of content or don't charge way over the top, then most people wouldn't care so much. For example, if Force Unleashed was <$3, i bet there wouldn't have been as many complaints.

Higher quality games like Hero of Sparta, Brothers in Arms and Rolando haven't had a problem selling at $9.99, where i think the price is justified (they could probably charge double that for the same game on PSP).

16. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    Hi Romeo!
    I'm not standing for this nonsense!

17. STP_Steve

STP_Steve Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Editor of slidetoplay.com
    San Francisco, CA
    Incidentally, we at STP were, too... and we're also standing behind our Iron Man review. Iron Man's definitely a controversial game, and I understand the arguments against it, but the App Store doesn't have many real action games that are so tight, polished, and exciting.

Lego Batman is another story... we'll have that review up a bit later today ;)

18. Flunkie

Flunkie Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    I have never seen a YouTube video that clear! Wow.

19. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Agreed.

Steve, perhaps you can share what app and specifications you use for your encoding. Amongst other HD youtube videos, those of Slide to Play stand distinguished by their superb quality.

20. Flunkie

Flunkie Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    I've now bookmarked Slide to Play. What a great website. :)