Universal Disgaea 1 Complete (by Nippon Ichi Software)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Jan 30, 2020.

1. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Just means they've changed the previously Japanese App Store screenshots to the correct English ones.

2. zenmode

zenmode Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2014
    That’s disappointing, I hope they fix it in the future. I’m gonna wait on this one until that’s fixed.

Thankfully, I don’t think this’ll be an issue with this game. In my experience, save data for my games has always been completely restored when doing an iCloud/iTunes restore. There may have been a few games here and there that didn’t support it, but I’d be very surprised if Disgaea was one of them.

I don’t think it’s entitled at all. I’ll admit that I have no idea how difficult it is for devs to implement iCloud File Sharing into their games, but I wish it was standard for every game. Not only to share data between devices, but also to have an easily accessible backup in case something goes wrong.

3. hedgey

hedgey Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    I've heard about Disgaea, but have never played any of the titles.

I have not bought this yet because I'm concerned about the game being liked by people more based on their nostalgia towards the series being on their phone.

I played/loved FF WotL ,and always wished there were more like that one. Does this game hold up? Or is it a case of just being a "ported old game" that has a following?

I'd love to hear again from those with early impressions to see their thoughts after more playing.

If the game is good, I don't judge it on it's price.

4. Alex DeLargest

Alex DeLargest Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Male
    USA/France
    This game is great. I own it on PSP and DS and have been fighting the urge to buy it again for mobile (also own part four on Vita). It’s even more broken and endless than FFT! One of its central mechanics is attacking parliament so they’ll vote in favor of your resolutions to change rules or increase item levels, etc. You can have every member of your party climb on top of one another to make a giant tower and use that to move a character across the map!

5. zenmode

Mar 18, 2014
    I’ve played through every Disgaea game so far, and they absolutely are worth playing through if you like the genre. Disgaea 1 is especially good, I’d rank it near the top with D4 and D5.

The stories are a bit more on the “anime” side, so that’s either a positive or negative depending on your tolerance for that. The gameplay is really solid in each game, and the replayability is actually insane with how much content there is.

Depending on which systems you own, you could also try to find a different entry in the series for a cheaper price and see if the overall gameplay appeals to you.

As for this specific mobile port and its quality, I’ve only played this on console and not iOS, so I’ll leave those comments to someone else :D

6. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Took the plunge.

New to the series.

First imps: love it. Absolutely love it.

Can see the lack of cloud save becoming a problem.

7. alphaonethree

alphaonethree Member

Jan 31, 2020
    Male
    The other good thing about this release: I tried this game with older devices, can confirm that it works with iphone 6, in 60fps glory too.

8. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Additional thoughts, after three hours.

Screen controls just don’t work. The camera is impossible to navigate in a sane way in some screens, because it’s a 2D isometric reflection of very 3D worlds and oftentimes you will obscure significant and important information (and make it a nightmare to click on a given character) in every available orientation. Do you want to see your own char, the enemy you’re aiming for, or the allies around you? YOUMUSTCHOOse. I’m far more ok with navigation in the home world, where at least it doesn’t matter. Navigation in battles is a dog’s breakfast.

The offer is open to extreme repetitiveness at the outset. In my reading. Play the same levels how many times? I assumed some randomisation. Clearly not.

The ally support mechanism leads to a real incentive to just cluster 8-9 allies around 1 or 2 enemies and lay into them. That’s fine. Sometimes spectacular. But OH MY GOD the tedium of getting them there, particularly on a 3D map.

Like this. Rate it for the most part. Some real boggles tho.

stubbieoz likes this.
  9. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Gonna go out there and say it.

Suddenly remembered the mythical switch.

Found it literally on the first press of a directional button. So to speak.

Presumably just lucky, but I’m really not finding this bit tough.

Battery drain minimal.

10. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    The game is fantastic. I’ve played it through on the PSP, but was so long ago forgot many of the battle mechanics so feels like a new game. Sprites are super crisp and nice looking now.

I think the biggest problem is the game has no auto-save when in battle. This isn’t a big deal during the normal stages, but it’s really rough when in an item world run ( unless someone tells me I am missing something! )

11. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Are battles touch controls as well?

12. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Depends what you mean.

Tap a char to select their action menu, tap an action, tap a target. It would work better if 3D isometric could be more cleanly translated into 2D.

13. ShinHadoukin

Feb 20, 2015
    That’s what I was hoping. Touch for actions vs. a D-pad to move around the map to select a character. Thank you for your response.

14. zenmode

Mar 18, 2014
    Just saw that an update was released, can anyone confirm that cloud saves are working?

Attached Files:

15. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    F71B7568-7932-4F71-BC3D-46F39DF16FF1.png

screenshot from my mini. All gameplay on my phone. Thumbs.

stubbieoz likes this.
  16. ShinHadoukin

Feb 20, 2015
    I am super tempted. I loved it on PSP, this is a console game on a phone. $33 for a console game is not bad and this puts that console game in your pocket. I have not seen any reviews for the mobile version (on consoles they are good) so I’m hesitant based on price & not wanting to jump just to support big games on mobile.

Any thoughts to tip the scales? Saves during battle would be huge!
    Thanks

17. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Wait, I'm presuming cloud saves aren't iCloud based and are uploaded to NIS servers with a 1 year validity? Interesting!

18. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Yes. The mechanism is trivially awkward. But appears to work.

19. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Though obvs can be re uploaded at any time, for so long as those servers are supported.

20. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    I like it. It’s content rich. Controls are genuinely shitty. Personally, I’d say, shittier and more awkward in battles than when running around in the home base. The first three hours involves a lot of grinding. It looks to me as if subsequent progress will also involve a great deal of replaying of identical levels. I assume you are expecting this if you know disgaea. Battles are quite slow. Lots of individual menu clicks to arrange many small / individual attacks.

I do like it. Probably more than Scarlet Grace. But I’m unusually cash rich atm and haven’t really missed the £30.

I am also somewhat stuttering at the three hour mark. I suspect I need to visit some guides to crank past the next level. And so to engage with something new / different.