Discussing XCOM: Enemy Within Being a Separate App

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Lickzy, Nov 13, 2014.

1. gquiller

gquiller Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Sorry

I'm wrong. I was searching in the wrong spot...my bad!!!!!!!!!!! It's there!

2. odi0n

odi0n Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Amen. Couldn't have said it better myself. I just had to log in to applaud you. Way to many whiners in here complaining about price when a pack of toilet paper damn gets close to this price.

Some companies just don't deserve people buying any of they're stuff. But Firaxes, though they may not be perfect (and really- who is??) they put out quality stuff. I will always support they're strategy mobile games as long as they don't mess it up too bad.

But XCom? This game is THE BEST! I've bought all version for all my gaming devices.

Lol @ the whiners complaining about $12 for a quality product. Smh.

3. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    It has to be a quirk of your country's app store and/or a quirk of licensing specifics in your country.

I'm in the U.S. and by the time I type X & C into my purchased history, there it is with the option to download it.

Consider it lesson learned: if there is an app you genuinely care about whether it gets pulled or not, make sure it's been downloaded with a desktop version of iTunes. While many do run "naked" with their iOS devices, there are still advantages to tying them to a desktop computer with iTunes that no amount of cloud services is going to trump any time soon.

4. madreviewer

madreviewer Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2013
    I understand, but costumer expectation is far from reality

5. PoloBaquerizoH

PoloBaquerizoH Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2013
    It dont make sence for me to erase the first original ios game, both games still have their own different stuff. Enemy Unknown will always feel as the first part of the game, so why erasing a first part? It feels like is just a money" strategy mechanism to earn more money. Anyway I'm so happy to own Xcom: Enemy Unknown " the first part and always the classic one" As well as the second part " Enemy Within"

6. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    #66 Bytebrain, Nov 14, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
    Everything present in EU is also present in EW, plus a whole lot more.
    There's no "first part" or "second part", it's the same game, only now you can get it much cheaper with added content.

7. C.Hannum

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    I gather that many of those complaining are not familiar with the franchise and its history or pricing.

Just so it's clear to people who still think something hinky went on here:

Couple of years ago, XCOM:EU launched as a full priced game on PC & consoles...

Over the first year, they patched in the second wave stuff for free and released a few small DLC packs for *purchase*, slingshot & elite soldiers.

1.5 years ago, iOS got XCOM:EU for *half* the price it was still selling for in pure vanilla form on other platforms.

Eventually, iOS got the second wave stuff added for free, also saw the price of EU drop to $10, 1/3rd the cost it still lists for on other platforms even today (although it is trivial to find it for about half the cost through Amazon et al)

About 1 year ago, Enemy Within launched for PC & consoles. Basically, a reimagining of a reimagining, it was a full blown expansion to the original game adding many new weapons, armors, enemy types, and combat mechanics. It launched on PCs as a $30 expansion (which you had to own the original base game to use) and as a stand alone title for consoles (launched at $40). A year later, you're still going to pay at least $14-$15 for the PC expansion and $25-$30 for the console versions.

We get the mobile version for $12.99 as a stand alone game - cheaper than *just* the expansion can be had on PC at greater than 50% mark down!

Now, call me insane, but I'm not able to find where any of what has gone down for those of us buying the game on iOS is "shady" or a "money grab".

People who bought the first, unless you bought it in just the last couple of months, you should have already got your money's worth, but no matter how you slice it, the maximum you could wind up paying for all the content is $33 (/raises hand), which is cheaper than any of the list price options for that same content today on other platforms (where EW has been around for a year now and EU more than 2 years), and on par with what it would cost you to get it on the other platforms at heavy discount.

Now, if you can grokk all of that and still find a reason to complain, I'll just have to shake my head and add you to my ignore list as someone incapable of using reason.

8. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    ^great post, but there are always those who wouldnt understand. LOL

9. zazzer

zazzer Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Global Community Manager, Arena of Valor
    Palo Alto, CA
    Removing Enemy Unknown upsets me not because it's a cash grab (it's not) or any of that nonsense people are accusing 2K of greed. I'm upset because now I can't experience the award-winning, vanilla XCOM: EU as it was originally intended and praised.

Sure, Enemy Within contains all of the same maps and missions, but it has been repeatedly said (and overlooked) that the new features really make it feel like an entirely different game and forces you to play differently. That's why it is an expansion and a standalone, because it's as if it is an entirely new game!

I can still go out and buy Enemy Unknown without the extra bells and whistles on console and PC no problem. Why don't I have that option here on iOS? Part of the XCOM experience was playing the same game twice in two different ways, with different strategies thanks to the new features. Now, only half of that experience is available to new players.

10. JMan121314

JMan121314 Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2014
    I am happy they finally got the Enemy Within content on iOS. It's unfortunate that you can't just unlock it in the existing app, but at least the new app is cheaper than the old one was. I paid the full $20 when the original came out I remember it was an instabuy and I waited forever to download it.

TO me the fact that they pulled the old app shows that this is meant to be their full experience on iOS. Unfortunately I will have to pass and get it later because I am saving for next week's Kingdom Rush Origins. :)

Anyone play this on iPad 3 does it work as good as the previous app?

11. C.Hannum

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    While this is less black and white, there are 2 key elements that don't exactly invalidate your point but do weaken it and explain why it was pulled for sale:

- It was available for sale for 1.5 years on iOS but hadn't been updated in 7 months. Keeping it available would have mandated a further discount (even though it was 1/3 list price on other platforms) and mandated they update it for iOS 8 & newer hardware. Considering how few new purchases it would have had next to EW, that would have been a fiscally losing pathway.

- Unfortunately, this is the App Store, filled with childish whiners who would have flooded the reviews with 1 star ratings for not providing the EW content for free/"discounted".

Hopefully they will add a vanilla option to EW then everybody *should* be happy (but, of course, someone still won't lol)

12. zazzer

zazzer Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Global Community Manager, Arena of Valor
    Palo Alto, CA
    Can't disagree there. It's amazing what you can do when presenting facts as a counter, and not just an oppositely-biased opinion ;)

Didn't think about App Store guidelines coming into play eventually.

13. madreviewer

Sep 22, 2013
    #73 madreviewer, Nov 14, 2014
    Same thing with sketch book pro, I would get mad if every time I have to play a dlc I have to buy the app. This really suck for the xcom eu owner.
    And please, people can post , and rate the game how they want.
    I would not buy xcom ew if I owned xcom eu- really what's the difference? Skin? More mission ( not true) for a game like xcom with so much replay value, adding map content is not a big deal.
    Personally it's a cash grab.
    I encourage every one who share the same point of view to be merciless in your rating.mthe App Store need to be free of those cheap tricks, and fraud.
    Buy a digital game twice? It doesn't make sens. Only extreme fans will buy that game.

14. JMan121314

JMan121314 Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2014
    Extreme fans... and new players... either way they score. It's only 13 bucks though, really not worth crying over.

I do understand your point though I paid the full $20 and now I gotta buy it again if I want to be up to date... it is frustrating.

15. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    There's much more than new maps involved in EW, as you would know if you'd bother to read some reviews of the game, doesn't matter which platform, so, no, it's not a moneygrab at all.

If it was only new maps and skins, do you think so many people would be so happy to see it appear on the appstore?

16. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    #76 Bytebrain, Nov 14, 2014
    It's been out for iOS devices for a year and a half now. If you haven't bought it by now, what are the chances of you buying it later?

And if you've already bought it, it's available still in your purchase history.

17. TheMerc

TheMerc Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2012
    (Though I'm not zazzer) I do understand this decision from a marketing point of view. From a customer perspective, I still think it'd be nice to know that, if the game ever ran into any serious game-breaking bug, there was always the possibility of an upgrade (which, despite how it might have come across in my previous posts, I definitely don't think I'm "entitled" to, but, as I said, would be nice to have if needed), but I understand the reasoning behind the business decision of creating less brand confusion on the platform. And in that sense, there really isn't a feasible way to appease both the potential interests of the existing customer base and the needs of the company, so I can only complain up to a certain point.

Yeah. Sadly, in the wake of the whole Monument Valley controversy, this point has seldom been so true... And I realize it might sound like I'm speaking against myself here, but my point was never about the EW content not being given out for free to those who'd already paid for EU, or anything like that: it was simply about the fact that 2K made a game that some people have been experiencing bugs with (I seem to recall reading someone's comment today about experiencing constant crashes while playing on an iPad 2 or 3) and instead of dropping the game with something such as a final update as good gesture, they simply left those people (who, assuming they acquired the game legally, spent a good amount of money - in the context of iOS, that is - to support it, the company and the message about iOS gaming that both were trying - and managed - to send) high and dry. That just seemed a bit too cold to me... But, like I said before, my own device runs the game with little to no problems found, so I, myself, am good :)

18. madreviewer

Sep 22, 2013
    Exactly! You like the game, and you want more content.
    The thing is a digital can be copied infinitly, and updates can be free or paid.
    But I clearly hate when dev replace an old app with an enhanced version of the same game, and they are asking the owner of the old version to pay full price.
    It's not fair. It's just fraud. And bad habit.
    Beleive it or not xcom is not the first app to use that trick

To understand what I am trying to say, you have to think about a game sequel.
    Think about the money for a sequel which just a copy cat of the first game. Imagine how mad u will get!
    Just think about it.
    Don't get me wrong xcom ew is a great game, but it's poorly marketed

19. madreviewer

Sep 22, 2013
    Them right! No warning, nothing.
    Do you imagine if somebody just bought xcom eu in the past week how mad he will be

20. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    #80 Crabman, Nov 15, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
    Solution:refund

if everything would be as simple as that.

But please...do yourself and us a favor and get more infos about what EW sets apart from EU before you continue to trash a game that you don't know nor want to buy.Hint:it's not only some skins and maps.

EW is well worth the asking price,EU still can be find in the list of purchases.So what?I myself also carry a lot of first world problems arround but god bless...this here is not on my list.