Discussing XCOM: Enemy Within Being a Separate App

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Lickzy, Nov 13, 2014.

1. marker1c

marker1c Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Philipines
    #41 marker1c, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
    And yet here we are for years wanting publishers to consider ios as a serious gaming platform but whenever a they deliver we scream bloody murder for charging beyond the standard ios prices because ios is not a dedicated gaming platform. I call that double standards, if you cant support a game of this quality because its damn awesome then do it to show that ios games can be profitable even if its not ftp.

2. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    That's a stupid and shortsighted argumentation,sorry.

3. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia

Make a decent counter argument then, I am tired of writing wall of text that get ignored.

4. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    So many complaints about an awesome game making it to the App Store.
    So sad.

For those that wanted it to be DLC in app purchase, how exactly do you think they would have been able to add it that way without hitting the App Store 2gb limit?
    Do you really think that if it was possible that they wouldn't have done so and potentially doubled down on possible revenue with the original app and a further DLC? Really?

For those that are complaining about Unknown not being on the App Store, do you really think the majority of people want to buy a vanilla version?
    But beyond that what exactly do you think would be the reaction of those that buy the vanilla version now only to discover that there is a better version available?
    It'd be far worse than the stream of complaints that are going on here now, hard an all as that is to believe even possible.
    I'm sure the self same people complaining on here now would be the very first to come in and complain if both were still available and they bought the "wrong" one and demanding the removal of one of them and saying how deceptive it is to gave both available at the same time. Even those complaints are predictable.
    Try and think outside of your own little bubbles and the reasons would become very clear.

It's really quite simple. They released a "better" version and replaced the older version.
    If you have the other one, well you can still re download it so what exactly is the problem?
    I remember when games came out and never moved beyond v1.0 and it was never a problem.
    Unending support for free would however be a problem. And the ones that get that unending support now are "service" games and not the kind of stand alone product this game is.

Get over yourselves and move on.

If you want to buy the app, just buy it, view it as a dlc that saved you space and move on.

If you want to play Unknown, just redownload it from you're purchase list.
    The app description won't show up, naturally enough if it's removed, but the place marker to download it is still there so nobody who purchased it is in any way out of pocket.

For those mourning that Unknown won't get any more updates or "support", welcome to the real world of non service games that are not targeting the free to play, subscription, repeat microtransactions world.

5. marker1c

Sep 14, 2010
    Philipines
    My thoughts exactly! Thanks bro.

6. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    How many times will you buy the same game on the same console just because a few extras are added, and do so happily? This seems like paying twice for the same game (in order to make sure it's continually supported) so you can actually play the extra added content. If this WAS an entirely different app, then it would be just fine. But if I bought the original, saw it was pulled, and was told I had to buy it again to make sure it was supported in the future, I would feel cheated. It's not about entitlement, or being cheap, or not wanting to invest in supporting games. This is about being supportive, only to have the company you supported NOT SUPPORT YOU. I buy hundreds of dollars worth of games and apps every year because iOS is my main console. However, when I buy The Last of Us on my PS3 and download it, they don't make me buy the WHOLE GAME over again to play new parts of it. They sell me DLC. And I happily pay for it. Do you see the difference between iOS gamers supporting games and those developers not supporting iOS gamers?

7. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I thought that this new app has the old game and new content together. If that's the case, then the file size should be much larger... especially if they removed the original from the App Store. The original I thought was 1.75GB uncompressed. This new app shows up as 1.8GB uncompressed, I think. Doesn't seem like much of a difference. Seems like they could have just added the content as IAP.

8. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    In response to the app store limit, I thought it was a 2gb limit just for the initial compressed download size. Whatever the app has you download afterwards is not a factor. Hence how some games are over 3 gigs installed. The in app DLC would work just like walking dead, have it downloaded inside the app, not from app store.

9. marker1c

Sep 14, 2010
    Philipines
    I dont really see why people compain too much about 2k releasing a seperate app, would you guys been happier if thet just update a old app then charge for dlc content? Then why dont you just think of this as $13 dlc. Its very much worth it for its fresh maps, uniform packs, gameplay enhancements, new awesome missions. A good number of ios games charges a lot more for for extra content/gems/skins etc.

10. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    That's the biggest thing all the naysayers are ignoring - when EU came out, the iPhone 5 & iPad 4 were the bleeding edge for developers to target - and the game still had problems on devices just under them, i.e. the practically brand new touch 5G (sporting same hardware as the previous year's iPhone 4S). It was more game than most devices could handle.

Yet, here we are *two* generations of hardware ahead and the naysayers want to see Firaxis do one of these three things:

1. Eschew newer hardware to maintain compatibility with hardware the game barely ran on anyhow, I'm sure that will be very popular with the people who spend the most money and an amazingly sound business decision ;)

2. Invite even more bitching and moaning by ditching hardware compatibility with older devices that did run it initially because that always works out so well for the app store reviews when developers take this path

3. Work magic to make the device look current on newer hardware while maintaining compatibility with older hardware, because if there's one thing developers have, it's infinite money and time to make their engines maximally extensible and perfect.

Not one of those is as straightforward as we got: leave the older, more compatible version downloadable for the foreseeable future for previous purchasers but do all current development, promotion, and sales with newer hardware in mind as a separate app so no changes during the development and support cycle break compatibility (such as it may have been :p ) with players of the vanilla version.

In theory, that should have been the preferred course of action as it breaks nothing, leaves all players of the original with the option to keep on playing *the* game they actually paid to play, gives anyone with the hardware necessary for the new bells and whistles the opportunity to play the game at half the price console players are still being asked to pay, comes with a new *justifiable* cycle of support, and protects the developers and publishers as much as is reasonably possible from the irrational mob by making sure no one can change their reviews on the original nor allowing anyone who doesn't pay for the new one to review.

But, of course, in line with the recent headline story on the Monument Valley expansion, this is why we can't have nice things ;)

11. madreviewer

madreviewer Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2013
    Come down dude.
    People have the right to complain, not that I disagree with u. But people are no bit*** about stuff.
    And I some what agree with them
    U pay 13$ for a game, the graphics should look great. ( infinity blade3)
    It's not a fast paced game. It sould at least look great.

I kinda disagree with you those that would want to make it an iPad Air exclusive. Not every one can buy new devices each year.

At last be polite, and make ur point without insulting anybody.

12. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Disagree you might and shall if you must, but where did C.Hannum insult anyone in his post above?

13. Wediafom24

Wediafom24 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Student
    Asmara, Eritrea
    2k, how about you give a discount to those of us who bought EU when it first came came out ($20)? Even Gameloft rewarded it's customers by making MC5 free! I am very hopeful 2k will do the right thing.

14. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    But why? This is already almost half the price of EU.

15. scape211

scape211 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Graphic Designer
    But your not comparing apples to apples here. Infinity blade was MADE for mobile devices. This game was ported to it using a game engine that likely was not optimized for mobile in the first place. Or even if it could, i doubt its coded that way.

And comparing these 2 game is also a huge difference. Infinity Blade looks awesome, but has 2 characters, close up with background elements that arent nearly as interactive as a strategy game like this. Its much easier to get higher/optimized graphics for a one on one fighter. Do you see many strategy games with the level of detail that a one on one fighter has on ANY platform? I dont think I have unless the one on one fighters graphics were terrible to begin with.

If you look at the big picture - you are getting a hardcore strategy game with no equal in the app store on your phone. Your playing a very close to console quality game in the palm of your hand for a fraction of the price you'd pay on the console. I still dont understand how people can complain about the graphics...

16. scape211

Jun 20, 2012
    Graphic Designer
    I get the thought here, but like its been said, the process for creating this game was likely different. Maybe they altered the engine. Maybe they optimized graphics better. Maybe they are utilizing Metal. All kinds of other factors could constitute size.

And judging from the fact that they had to leave content out of the first version because it couldnt fit, they most likely had to optimize this version to get all the previous stuff plus more. This is all without even considering the new graphics and effects they've likely added in that wont work on the older devices it used to support.

17. scape211

Jun 20, 2012
    Graphic Designer
    I'll bite on this even if it is a bad argument.

Answer #1 - The iOS may not be considered a dedicated playing console because its a phone first, but why do we see titles like Xcom, GTA, Infinity Blade on here? Probably because its dedicated for someone. Plus, why buy a gameboy/Vista/handheld when you already have one in your phone? And as a development company, why develop games for a smaller user base of handheld gamers when you have a much larger user base of smartphone users? It just makes much more sense to go after that bigger market.

Pricing is the way it is because the F2P wave has come about. This hasnt quite filtered into consoles as much, but there are free games you can download on them with IAP and PC based games that do the same. Its just more prevalent on phones. And honestly, if you think the iphone isnt a dedicated console, feel free to play this on a console and let us play it how we enjoy it.

Answer #2 - whether it was just released on consoles or released 10 years ago, this is a different platform. I bet i could find Max Payne in a bargin bin these days for a buck. But hey their asking for 3 bucks on the app store today? What gives? If the Beatles release a new album of newly mastered songs do they give it away for free? Or make it super cheap since these are songs we've already heard? Someone took the time to remaster them. As did someone who optimized this for a phone.

I cant believe they did this in the first place. I had no hopes that this game would ever come to the iphone given the maxed space and shaky performance of the first. But this is amazing and should be that way to most people. I suppose i should stop responding to the negativity in this thread, but i just cant understand it since this coming out feels like a miracle.

18. AchillesReborn

AchillesReborn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Excellent idea. In fact, why not just have a separate board for people to vent their bizarre entitlement issues.

19. gquiller

gquiller Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    I just got off the phone with Apple and you can't re-download it again! You must have a copy somewhere in order to move it onto your device which is the exact reason this is wrong!!!!!!! :mad:

20. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Weird. I usually redownload from my purchase history...